hello smuggers... hello world not working.

mfhinesmfhines Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited February 19, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I had a directory set to "no" on both hello smuggers and hello world. as well as having it uplisted and it popped up on a google search i was doing for the same content. i went ahead and password protected it, but whatd going on?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Hi,

was it *ever* public? Where is the gallery please, we'll need to check it for you. PM me the gallery links pls.
  • RandoRando Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    mfhines wrote:
    I had a directory set to "no" on both hello smuggers and hello world. as well as having it uplisted and it popped up on a google search i was doing for the same content. i went ahead and password protected it, but whatd going on?

Once you have a gallery indexed by Google, it takes a little while for Google to de-index. It took some of my galleries 5 months.

A few things you can do to help get them de-indexed:
    1. Don't delete your gallery. If you delete your gallery it gets forwarded to www.smugmug.com and Google never sees the meta tags to de-index (setting "no" to hello smuggers/world sets those tags). Don't delete your gallery so Google sees those tags.
    2. Keep them password protected, same reason as above
    3. Use Google's removal tool, http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/topic.py?topic=8459. In my experience it will temporarily de-index but still follow the above to prevent from re-indexing.
    4. Delete references to your gallery in forums/blogs/webpages that are heavily indexed such as Dgrin.