Father - son portraits in the garage

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited February 19, 2008 in People
Father and son portraits taken today with my Nikkor 180mm. I've been inspired to try some longer focal lengths for these shots.

I cannot remember the last time I used this lens. I've forgotten that it can be very sharp wide open. I think it's better than my 85mm, f1.4 copy.

Evan having a bad hair day. At least he still has his hair!wink.gif

255522035_AYQ6q-XL.jpg

Evan did a nice job taking my portrait. This is the way I look after 3 sets of tennis in 80 degree weather. My apologies!eek.gif

255521993_ADy7r-XL.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Great lovely light
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Very nice natural light portraits as always. It looks like your own photo missed the light somwhat. It appears to be hitting you near the chest area. Maybe a reshoot with you seated lower is in order?

Does your son like handling the camera or is he intimidated? My youngest grabs mine often, but my older daughter won't touch it......even though she shoots as many or more photos than I do with her P&S.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    80 degree weather in Feb...you better be apologizing! eek7.gif:Drolleyes1.gif

I agree with Jeff...looks like your shirt got most of your light. But I like how this long lens really separated you both from the background. Nice!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Very nice natural light portraits as always. It looks like your own photo missed the light somwhat. It appears to be hitting you near the chest area. Maybe a reshoot with you seated lower is in order?

Does your son like handling the camera or is he intimidated? My youngest grabs mine often, but my older daughter won't touch it......even though she shoots as many or more photos than I do with her P&S.

Good eye, Jeff. I never adjusted the height of the reflector after I took my son's photos. He's a one bucket guy. I must need two buckets.ne_nau.gif

This one is a lit a little better.

255593482_mAC3t-XL.jpg
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Nice shots!! I love the light.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    great shots! very warm lighting.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Longer focal length works really well here! For the shot of your son, what aperture were you using? The DOF is perfect.

I like the texture in the desaturated shot of you, very nice, could use a touch of brightness.

(And it's seven below this morning so your short sleeves gave me a chill...thanks! :D)
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    You really have the natural light portraits down! The one of your son is spectacular. By the way, you may be creating a monster. Just wait for the day that you decide to do a shoot and find out that your son has snuck off with your camera equipment. rolleyes1.gif
  • JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Mitchell,

Nice job. I have a suggestion or two, which may be considered nitpicking. Hope I’m not being out of line here.

First, the ears on the short side. In both portraits, the ears on the short side are just barely showing. Traditional portrait wisdom (if there is such a thing) says that you might want to either show the ear, or don’t show it at all. It’s personal taste, I guess. In both these photos, I think they’d be stronger (simpler) if the head was turned a little more so the short side ear doesn’t show at all. It’s much less of a problem with your son’s photo, since he has all that hair covering it. Overall though, it's a minor nitpick.

Second, either your son is a better poser, or you’re a better director. He has an expression. He’s relaxed in front of the lens, and it shows. You, on the other hand, look blank, almost like a photographer who steps out from behind the camera, and forgot to take a moment to collect your thoughts and put them on your face.

They say that many portraits are self portraits, at least to some degree, since the subject is reacting to the photographer. Perhaps Evan could talk to you and direct you to the point where you will react to him. Where’s the connection in your photo?

Ah jeeze, have I gone too far with criticism? Wait, I’ll say something nice: Uh ... you sure are smart to be in Florida this time of year, you dog. No wait, that wasn’t nice. Sorry sorry. The light is kinda nice. (sigh) I better sign off now, I’ve said enough.

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
    edited February 19, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    You really have the natural light portraits down! The one of your son is spectacular. By the way, you may be creating a monster. Just wait for the day that you decide to do a shoot and find out that your son has snuck off with your camera equipment. rolleyes1.gif

Travis, thanks for the kind words.

My son cracked me up when he told me he was dialing down the EV because my white shirt was blinking on the highlights screen!mwink.gif
    edited February 19, 2008
    JimW wrote:
    Mitchell,

Nice job. I have a suggestion or two, which may be considered nitpicking. Hope I’m not being out of line here.

First, the ears on the short side. In both portraits, the ears on the short side are just barely showing. Traditional portrait wisdom (if there is such a thing) says that you might want to either show the ear, or don’t show it at all. It’s personal taste, I guess. In both these photos, I think they’d be stronger (simpler) if the head was turned a little more so the short side ear doesn’t show at all. It’s much less of a problem with your son’s photo, since he has all that hair covering it. Overall though, it's a minor nitpick.

Second, either your son is a better poser, or you’re a better director. He has an expression. He’s relaxed in front of the lens, and it shows. You, on the other hand, look blank, almost like a photographer who steps out from behind the camera, and forgot to take a moment to collect your thoughts and put them on your face.

They say that many portraits are self portraits, at least to some degree, since the subject is reacting to the photographer. Perhaps Evan could talk to you and direct you to the point where you will react to him. Where’s the connection in your photo?

Ah jeeze, have I gone too far with criticism? Wait, I’ll say something nice: Uh ... you sure are smart to be in Florida this time of year, you dog. No wait, that wasn’t nice. Sorry sorry. The light is kinda nice. (sigh) I better sign off now, I’ve said enough.

Jim

Jim,
    First of all, thank you for the thoughtful critique. I appreciate the comments and the time you took to make them.

Great observation about the ears. I've never heard that, but it does make sense. I'll have to keep an eye out for that when posing in the future. I am an ear doctor, which should make this easier for me.

My son was trying to pose me. I'm just not much of a model. He's a natural in front of the camera and requires very little direction. I think I'll stay behind the lens for a while.

Thanks again!!