Da Bigma & Canon 1.4x l not compatible ?

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited February 19, 2008 in Cameras
Good Afternoon Folks,
I let a friend use my Canon 1.4x l tc on his Bigma, and he said it would not go on. I looked at both pieces, and sure enough, it doesn't fit. I thought that the Canon 1.4x tc was compatible with all 3rd party lenses, but obvious not. Any one else have this dilemma ?
Have a good afternoon :D
Jim...

Comments

• The RoadrunnerThe Roadrunner Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Afternoon Folks,
    I let a friend use my Canon 1.4x l tc on his Bigma, and he said it would not go on. I looked at both pieces, and sure enough, it doesn't fit. I thought that the Canon 1.4x tc was compatible with all 3rd party lenses, but obvious not. Any one else have this dilemma ?
    Jim...

I have a similar problem. The extension tube that I used on my Nikon 8008 film camera doesn't seem to fit my Nikon D-70 camera body? headscratch.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 17, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Afternoon Folks,
    Jim...

Kinda the other way around. The third party tel-extenders tend to work with both third party and Canon lenses because the Canon extender has a front element that extends forward into the host lens, where the third party models do not.

Even so, compatibility is determined on a lens-by-lens basis, for both fit and image quality.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Kinda the other way around. The third party tel-extenders tend to work with both third party and Canon lenses because the Canon extender has a front element that extends forward into the host lens, where the third party models do not.

Even so, compatibility is determined on a lens-by-lens basis, for both fit and image quality.

Good Evening Ziggy,
    That's exactly true. The Canon extended front element hits the rear element of Da Bigma. Looks like no 700mm shots of the moon for my friend at this time:cry
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • TelecorderTelecorder Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Evening Ziggy,
    That's exactly true. The Canon extended front element hits the rear element of Da Bigma. Looks like no 700mm shots of the moon for my friend at this time:cry
    Jim...

Not sure about the Canon mount but my Nikon mount Bigma requires that I extend the lens to past 100-mm & lock the teleconveter mode switch to move the rear lens elements out of the way to mount my Sigma EX 1.4X TC...

By the by, one apparently unique advantage that the Canon mount Bigma has over the Nikon mount is the ability to tweak the focus...
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=12833550
    Telecorder (Dave)
    Apple Valley, CA
    D50-BIGMA-70-300VRII-35f2D-18-70DX-FZ30
    My SmugMug Image Galleries
    My Nikonian Image Galleries
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Telecorder wrote:
    Not sure about the Canon mount but my Nikon mount Bigma requires that I extend the lens to past 100-mm & lock the teleconveter mode switch to move the rear lens elements out of the way to mount my Sigma EX 1.4X TC...

By the by, one apparently unique advantage that the Canon mount Bigma has over the Nikon mount is the ability to tweak the focus...
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=12833550
    Hey Dave,
    He was able to extend the rear element, and although the Canon extended element slides into the Bigma, it does not lock. He gave up :cry
    Thanks for your suggestion thumb.gif
    Jim...