Options

Downloader Pro and Card Reader

Aaron JorsAaron Jors Registered Users Posts: 470 Major grins
edited February 20, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I have a card reader built into my computer and am currently using downloader pro. My ultimate goal is to have downloader pro open and download the files from the card when I insert the card into the reader if this is possible.
I have everything set up in downloader pro but am having trouble getting downloader pro to open when I put the card into the reader. When I put the card into the reader the computer automatically opens a Windows Explorer folder. I do not want this to happen! If I right click on the drive and go to security and sharing then to autoplay it gives you the option of what will happen when each type of media is inserted. If I go the the pictures media Downloader Pro is an option to have Autoplay. For some reason the card reader is not recognizing what option is being selected here. Even if I select "Take No Action" the folder still pops up.
Is it possible to have downloader pro open when I insert the card into the reader? If not how can I stop the folder from automatically popping up when I insert a card?
Thanks, Aaron.

Comments

• Options
    waltztjwaltztj Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Aaron

Goto DL pro click on the event tap then click on the register for autoplay option.

Aaron Jors wrote:
    I have a card reader built into my computer and am currently using downloader pro. My ultimate goal is to have downloader pro open and download the files from the card when I insert the card into the reader if this is possible.
    I have everything set up in downloader pro but am having trouble getting downloader pro to open when I put the card into the reader. When I put the card into the reader the computer automatically opens a Windows Explorer folder. I do not want this to happen! If I right click on the drive and go to security and sharing then to autoplay it gives you the option of what will happen when each type of media is inserted. If I go the the pictures media Downloader Pro is an option to have Autoplay. For some reason the card reader is not recognizing what option is being selected here. Even if I select "Take No Action" the folder still pops up.
    Is it possible to have downloader pro open when I insert the card into the reader? If not how can I stop the folder from automatically popping up when I insert a card?
    Thanks, Aaron.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    waltztj wrote:
    Aaron

Goto DL pro click on the event tap then click on the register for autoplay option.

Wally I just went and did that but still nothing. I just get the folder popping up. There has to be something that is overridding everything and causing that folder to pop up because even if I select "Take No Action" the folder still pops up.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Did you reboot then try?
    &
    What OS are you running?

So to make sure I understand you. You want the OS window that automatically pops up to go away when you insert your mem card and download pro to run instead. Correct?

Also what asset management software are you using? Lightroom, ACDViewer, Bridge etc.. There may be a better solution than download pro that you just don't know about yet.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    Thanks SloYerRoll I guess all it needed was a reboot. Didn't think of that.
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Did you reboot then try?
    &
    What OS are you running?

So to make sure I understand you. You want the OS window that automatically pops up to go away when you insert your mem card and download pro to run instead. Correct?

Also what asset management software are you using? Lightroom, ACDViewer, Bridge etc.. There may be a better solution than download pro that you just don't know about yet.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    There may be a better solution than download pro that you just don't know about yet.

BLASPHEMY! Bite your tongue! :smack:D
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    BLASPHEMY! Bite your tongue! :smack:D
    I've done that before.. No thanks, it really hurts :D
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    There may be a better solution than download pro

Like what? ne_nau.gif

I have been using it for a long time and am completely satisfied. nod.gif

No tongue biting necessary.:D
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    You got good advice.

JFYI, if you use a registry cleaner, it may wipe out the key for downloader pro...then you will have to go back and reconfigure everything in DLP and reregister for events all over again. That is a pain you can do without.rolleyes1.gif

Registry Mechanic was the culprit on my XP pro box.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Like what? ne_nau.gif

I have been using it for a long time and am completely satisfied. nod.gif

No tongue biting necessary.:D
    Not saying there is a better alternative. But I use the propitiatory download app in Lr and it runs beautifully for me (w/ a little script I made so it's 100% automated).

I already have a TON of apps on my machine. I just wanted to make sure that the OP was using the best solution for their needs.

That's all :D
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    But I use the propitiatory download app in Lr and it runs beautifully for me

Makes sense. I don't use LR so I can't comment.

It would be nice though...if there was ONE app that did everything that relates to just photography without all the extra stuff and extra money.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:

It would be nice though...if there was ONE app that did everything that relates to just photography without all the extra stuff and extra money.
    I'm w/ ya. But pleasing everyone aint easy. Just ask the mods and smug staffmwink.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:

I have to disagree. LR and Aperture try to do that. I have not seen Aperture myself though a shooting buddy has tried it & was underwhelmed. I did try LR & hate it. I prefer to have the option of choosing the best tool for me for each stage of the process. But that's getting into a philosophical discussion & each of us has our own preferences.
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Downloader Pro Update (v 2.1)
    While you're on the topic: Have you noticed that Breeze posted a Downloader Pro update Feb 08? (v. 2.1)

http://www.breezesys.com/Downloader/index.htm

thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca