Curves or Solace...which to enter?

PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
edited February 18, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Curves, Light & Shadow
252202979_gmBJp-L.jpg

Solace in a cup
255498742_QekSL-XL.jpg

I‘ve wanted to take his photograph for months now. It’s an image that has haunted my subconscious. An image that I knew existed, but wasn't sure I could make happen. On nice days he sits, dozing in the sun, at a table outside the front door of the Starbucks that shares space in a grocery store that I go to for lunch sometimes. On wet or very cold days, he sits inside, head down, in a chocolate brown leather chair sipping his coffee by a cozy gas fireplace in a corner of the store that has been equipped with a handful of bistro tables. It’s quite obvious that he is homeless. However, he possesses a quiet dignity and even a flair that hasn’t been entirely erased by his circumstances. He always wears the same thing; a black bowler style hat, a scarf around his neck and a big black coat with an oversize velvet lapel. And, I've never seen him without his own white porcelain coffee mug.

My problem was that I didn’t want to just surreptitiously snap a picture of him. It seemed to me that would be unjust and it was easier to do nothing than to move out of my comfort zone to introduce myself and ask his permission.

Then came this final round of LPS and I resolved to make an attempt. Starting on the first Monday of the final, I stopped by the store each day at lunchtime to see if he was there – but he wasn’t. As the days went by, I became worried that some terrible fate had befallen him. I asked at the coffee shop if they had seen him lately...no. Then finally, last Wednesday I could see he was back and sitting out front as I drove up. I gathered my camera and my courage and pulled up a chair next to him on the patio. I introduced myself. He said his name was Nicholas. I told him that I’m an amateur photographer and asked him if he would mind if I took some pictures of him. He paused briefly and said ok…but it would cost me. I volunteered the few dollars in my pocket - which he accepted graciously. He said that he had been a pretty good photographer years ago with his box camera. He said he had a good eye for composition. In my nervousness I asked him where he lived...blank stare...then he said that he had a spot about four blocks down & a block over (the railroad tunnel). He said that he'd like to get back to the San Francisco area. He’s a quiet, gentle soul and not particularly given to small talk.

As I got my camera out, up walked another homeless man who was very interested in what was going on. I offered my name and he said that his was Preacher John. Preacher John is a boisterous, wordy man worthy of his name. Nicholas said nothing else after Preacher John showed up. The Preacher sat down on the other side of the table and provided a running narration as I snapped a few photos of Nicholas. Preacher John said that Nicholas was going to get a big head and "go all Hollywood on us". Nicholas made no acknowledgment. He just sat , drawing comfort from each sip from his cup.

Which to enter for LPS1 final? 28 votes

Curves, Light & shadow
25% 7 votes
Solace in a cup
75% 21 votes

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Paul....
    Well....now that I've read that very interesting story, you've sucked me in completely. Yes, the portait is "the" shot to enter...even without reading the "behind the scenes", it's a very powerful image. clap.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif 100%

You managed to work up the courage and stray away from your comfort zone, why would you not go the distance?
  • tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    You picture alone pulled me in. Once I read the story, touched me. It is beautiful iloveyou.gif
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Nice Paul! ... reminds me of the John Prine song, "Hello in there, hello."

For me, this can be the great thing about photography ... it's a passport, an opportunity to connect with people you might not otherwise.

Best of luck! :))

(BTW, for yourself this might convert extremely well to black and white ... maybe start with 100% red channel in channel mixer and then tweak)
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    seastack wrote:
    Nice Paul! ... reminds me of the John Prine song, "Hello in there, hello."

For me, this can be the great thing about photography ... it's a passport, an opportunity to connect with people you might not otherwise.

Best of luck! :))

(BTW, for yourself this might convert extremely well to black and white ... maybe start with 100% red channel in channel mixer and then tweak)

No need for the story since the picture speaks volumes. I still enjoyed it thoughmwink.gif

Both shots are very good but since the second shot pulls in more emotion good or bad, it is the better choicethumb.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    I was never too fond of the still life...
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    I feel a need for some different treatment, but yes, the Solace for me, please.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Agree with the others. #2 is a far better entry than #1 (I'm also not a huge fan of still life). That being said, I agree that it need different processing. The background is too warm for the face and the story. I think the photo needs to convey that he's finding warmth from the coffee and not in a warm environment. B/W may help with that as would some of the other suggestions posted.
    Good luck.
    E
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Thanks for you support and suggestions. I hope that those that think I should alter the picture aren't offended, but I'm not going to make any changes to this particular photo because I want it to be a fairly true representation of that location and moment. And, I just really like this shot in color - He's a colorful fellow and when I see him once or twice a week he's always in color. I do have a few other shots from that day that I may get more creative with at some point.

It has been such a great honor to have been a part of the inaugural LPS series. I originally entered on a lark in LPS Q3 with Perhaps more Prunes and got completely absorbed in the whole thing. It has been a real blessing to get to know some of you through this forum and your work. I want to continue to participate, but I have a busy spring and summer planned with lots of house projects and a full work schedule so I may not enter quite as often as I did last year.

Thanks again so very much and best wishes and best of luck to all of you!

-paul
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    I love this shot, Paul and the story that goes with it. He looks as if he stepped out of a time capsule and you are right about him having a quiet dignity. I've enjoyed seeing your work this year. Good luck!!! thumb.gif
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Paul, if you don't participate this Spring or Summer, I for one will REALLY miss seeing your photography.
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Solace it is, seems like the majority agrees :)