7 Hours and Choices

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited February 18, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, the sun (finally!!!) came out. There's less than 7 hours and choices to make ... and it's (probably) a no-brainer that a landscape should be the pic(k) here but had to throw in a couple of funnies and a really weird (not photoshopped by the way) ...

Photos numbered below image.

Any C & C much appreciated :))

tom

255575245_uMxx4-L.jpg

255574092_s6k6i-L.jpg

255577426_ZQdnC-L.jpg

255578750_usSgt-L.jpg
#4 (Say Cheese!)

255581614_rurkQ-L.jpg
#5 (Getting old ain't for sissies)

255580167_otdZH-O.jpg
#6 (Title?)

Which to enter? 34 votes

#1 (Untitled)
32%
Deeannnna8888kwalshgreenpeaseastackPaulThomasMcKeeleafortedadwtwinsdoctorsoupJetcbsnet 11 votes
#2 (Untitled)
29%
Frog LadyTessa HDquarkLlywellynSwartzyElaineLiquidAirpyroPrints.comachamberspuzzledpaul 10 votes
#3 (Untitled)
8%
eoren1sherstoneMarkTodd 3 votes
#4 (Say Cheese)
8%
richterslrddphotosi_worship_the_King 3 votes
#5 (Getting old ain't for sissies)
14%
photogmommaPovertybarnfashiznitsngrinsGreensquaredtamplum 5 votes
#6 (Untitled)
5%
MolsondogNikolai 2 votes

Comments

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    #1 (Untitled)
    I was unable to see #6.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    I was unable to see #6.

me too headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    #2 (Untitled)
    me three
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    #1 (Untitled)
    leaforte wrote:
    I was unable to see #6.

Thanks, think I got it fixed :))
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 17, 2008
    #1 (Untitled)
    A wonderful landscape series, Tom. clap.gif I envy you that coastline. We don't get anything like that in my neck of the woods. #1 does it for me. The reds seem a bit too intense in #2 for my liking, but really, the whole series rocks! thumb.gif

Best of luck!

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    #1 (Untitled)
    #1 is very well done. Even though #5 is very clever, i still enjoyed #1 more
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
    edited February 17, 2008
    #1 (Untitled)
    annnna8888 wrote:
    A wonderful landscape series, Tom. clap.gif I envy you that coastline. We don't get anything like that in my neck of the woods. #1 does it for me. The reds seem a bit too intense in #2 for my liking, but really, the whole series rocks! thumb.gif

Best of luck!

Ana

Thanks Ana :))

I agree on #2, although it has more action to it than #1 ... surprisingly after I did my curves, et al, I actually decreased the saturation on this image ... still not right. This is a bit south of where I live, a place called Ecola State Park on the coast of Oregon ... one of my favorites. Beautiful sunset last night.
    edited February 17, 2008
    #1 (Untitled)
    annnna8888 wrote:

Best of luck!

Ana

Ahhh! Just saw your entry ... very, very nice! Have to get to that part of the world someday.

Best of luck to you, too!
    edited February 17, 2008
    #1 (Untitled)
    dadwtwins wrote:
    #1 is very well done. Even though #5 is very clever, i still enjoyed #1 more

Thank you, appreciate the input :)))
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 17, 2008
    #1 (Untitled)
    seastack wrote:
    Thanks Ana :))

I agree on #2, although it has more action to it than #1 ... surprisingly after I did my curves, et al, I actually decreased the saturation on this image ... still not right. This is a bit south of where I live, a place called Ecola State Park on the coast of Oregon ... one of my favorites. Beautiful sunset last night.
    Yes, I've had to decrease the saturation a few times myself. Some sunsets are naturally oversaturated. :D
    .... Have to get to that part of the world someday.
    You've been saying that for a while now! mwink.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    #2 (Untitled)
    I voted for #2 because I love the rocks in the foreground and the sun in the background. How adorable is your dog!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    #2 (Untitled)
    seastack wrote:
    Well, the sun (finally!!!) came out.
    That's the weather we had down here during the semifinal--nearly 14 straight days of rain (there's a reason I was in the garage throwing martinis...)

Of the landscapes, my favorite is #2 with some color adjustments to tone down the red a tad (maybe push it toward orange with Hue/Saturation layer?). The perspective of #1 feels a bit like I am looking down on the scene rather than in it (is that the wide end of the 16-35?). I love the foreground in #3, but the sky is a bit flat.

As for #4 and #5, you have a gorgeous dog. Of these two, I like the story of #5, but I prefer #4 as an image.

I like #6 a lot but I don't know how universal it's appeal will be.

Overall I'd say keep working with #2; its got a lot of potential. I think it is worth desatuating it quite a bit to emphasize the textures (you might even try B&W).
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    #1 (Untitled)
    Absolutely gorgeous photos Tom! I voted for #1. The two of your dog are hilarious!

-paul
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    #2 (Untitled)
    Tom
    Went with #2. They are all nice but the sun adds to the scene. Your dog rocks! :D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited February 17, 2008
    #1 (Untitled)
    Yeah, my dog's pretty cool ... and of course, smart too ... also more patient than most people I know sitting for photos :))

I was testing out my field setup in our woods with canon speedlites and umbrellas. I was surprised how well ETTL worked with multiple flashes and ratios, amazing really.

Thanks for all the support :)) I'm still working on these ...

tom
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    #6 (Untitled)
    #1 (your signature shot) or #6 (suggested title: joyride) for me
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    #3 (Untitled)
    Tom-
    Nothing like last minute comments...
    First of all, the landscapes are really well done. I agree with the others that 2 remains too red and saturated.

I feel like my eye bounces around in 1 without settling in any one spot. I go from the foreground stones to the background rocks to the sky and back.

#2 is a very calming image and the sun is well placed. Again, just a bit too red - though it isn't, it feels overly saturated/processed.

I voted for #3. It feels complex to me. The texture to the water is brilliant. The sky is lacking a bit compared to 2 but I really like this one.

The dog ones are well done but don't match up to 1-3. The last is a bit too abstract for my taste.
    Hope that helps.
    Good luck,
    E
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    #2 (Untitled)
    #2 is amazing, but I'd punch up the contrast a bit, and lower the brightness ever so slightly
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited February 17, 2008
    #1 (Untitled)
    Nikolai wrote:
    #1 (your signature shot) or #6 (suggested title: joyride) for me

Thanks Nik ... hadn't thought about that, it is kind of an otherworldly landscape like I used to do more often ... signature shot, I like that, thank you very much :)) It's the one I entered (as if you didn't know) ...

The last one is kind of funny. It's the inside of a tunnel (you probably guessed) but on a 6 second exposure. Took it on the way home last night on Hwy 101 along Columbia River. Yeah, I was driving but there were no other cars ;-) Surprised how interesting this turned out, contemplating how and why technique-wise for future reference. File away.

Hmmm, how about Embryonic Journey for the title (was that a Moody Blues or Jefferson Airplane album?)
    edited February 17, 2008
    #1 (Untitled)
    #2 is amazing, but I'd punch up the contrast a bit, and lower the brightness ever so slightly

Thank you Pyro :)) Well, I took it last night and just couldn't get it where I wanted today ... weird oversaturated color casts ... after I stopped looking at it and went back, just didn't like it as much ... with more time though it will make a great print.

I did use a 3-stop grad ND but even then still had to blend versions from RAW convert because the dynamic range is so large. Too much PS work. The image I entered (#2) was more straightforward ... and as Nik said kind of fitted my previous landscape work.

thanks again ...
    edited February 17, 2008
    #1 (Untitled)
    Thanks E, I really appreciate your input. Good comments! Gave me much to ponder (and I'd been thinking along some of the same lines).
    eoren1 wrote:
    Tom-
    Nothing like last minute comments...
    First of all, the landscapes are really well done. I agree with the others that 2 remains too red and saturated.

I feel like my eye bounces around in 1 without settling in any one spot. I go from the foreground stones to the background rocks to the sky and back.

#2 is a very calming image and the sun is well placed. Again, just a bit too red - though it isn't, it feels overly saturated/processed.

I voted for #3. It feels complex to me. The texture to the water is brilliant. The sky is lacking a bit compared to 2 but I really like this one.

The dog ones are well done but don't match up to 1-3. The last is a bit too abstract for my taste.
    Hope that helps.
    Good luck,
    E
    edited February 17, 2008
    #1 (Untitled)
    Absolutely gorgeous photos Tom! I voted for #1. The two of your dog are hilarious!

-paul

Thanks Paul! You know, I probably got a whole calendar out of that photo shoot with my dog. Hmmmm, where are the sunglasses!
    edited February 17, 2008
    #1 (Untitled)
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The perspective of #1 feels a bit like I am looking down on the scene rather than in it (is that the wide end of the 16-35?).

Thanks for all the comments :)) Right, that's the 16-35 at 16mm and 20 seconds, grad ND (3 stop) and polarizer ... I was on the top of one of the larger rocks 'cause that flow through there was going from 0 to 3 feet in seconds ... just the sound is intimidating ... incoming tides and sneaker waves make me very nervous, I was fine and in no real danger but nervous is good.

So, you're right, you are looking down on the scene a little bit ... imagine you're in a fish bowl hanging suspended above the scene by balloons on a field trip ;-)

... sorry, couldn't resist but i know you have a good sense of humor :))

Seriously, great entry and good luck!
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    #2 (Untitled)
    seastack wrote:
    Thanks for all the comments :)) Right, that's the 16-35 at 16mm and 20 seconds, grad ND (3 stop) and polarizer ... I was on the top of one of the larger rocks 'cause that flow through there was going from 0 to 3 feet in seconds ... just the sound is intimidating ... incoming tides and sneaker waves make me very nervous, I was fine and in no real danger but nervous is good.

I'll get my ankles wet for a shot, but a three foot rip tide? Zoiks. Now that you describe it, I can see the camera position much better. Wide angle lenses really mess with my sense of scale. The rocks in your shot are clearly quite a bit larger than I was thinking they were. Having just used a 17mm to juxtapose an 8" fishbowl against a 300' bridge I forget that not everyone places their foreground subject 18" from the lens.
    seastack wrote:
    So, you're right, you are looking down on the scene a little bit ... imagine you're in a fish bowl hanging suspended above the scene by balloons on a field trip ;-)

Actually, now that I have assembled a semi-mobile fish bowl shooting rig I've been contemplating doing a fish bowl tour of San Francisco. Carting them up the coast to Oregon seems like a natural extension of a west coast tour.
    seastack wrote:
    Seriously, great entry and good luck!

Thanks! I like almost everyting you do and your entry is no exception. Good luck to you as well.