Hong Kong camera store

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited February 19, 2008 in Cameras
I am going to Hong Kong in a few months. Just wondering if anyone knows if camera prices are any good there? Also, if there are any good stores?

Comments

• MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Have a look at:
    http://rolandlim.wordpress.com/2007/08/26/recommended-camera-shops-in-hong-kong/
    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000GnZ

Until recently I split my purchases between Tin Cheung in TST and Man Shing in Mong Kok. However, a couple of things have worried me about Tin Cheung lately.
    - A short while ago I returned a Tamron lens (the zoom had stuck) the guy in the shop bang it a couple of times to loosen the zoom, cleaned it, then put it back on the shelf to sell.
    - Just before Chinese New Year I purchased a Speedlite 580EXII which I am unable to regester with Canon (problem with the serial number). Canon have been on holiday so I won't know the problem until later today.

I have heard good things about the shops on Stanely street in Central but have not used them myself.

Try to avoid the shops in the main tourist areas, especially in Tsim Sha Tsui, which generally do not display price tickets. If you must buy from these dealers ensure you know exactly what you are supposed to get in the box and how much it should be.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    I bought all my camera bodies from Broadway. It is a chain electronic store have many branches in most of shopping areas such as Mongkok, Causewaybay.
    There are so many camera shops in the tourist area, TST, Central, but just be careful. The small shops has a lot of tricks to con you and end up to pay more or getting a wrong things:
    1. They usually do not put the price on the display. The sales look at you first and start a price then give you fat discount but end up still pay more.
    2. They give you wrong information and push you to another brand or model which is older or not popular and cheaper but yet you still have to pay more.
    3. Take out some standard accessories, and charge you big amount, such as the charges, CD, lens hood, battery, strap, case or what ever. If you don't pay them, those items will end up sitting on the floor and sell to me at a dollar each. Thanks.
    4. The final price is cash only, additional 2 -5 % if you pay by credit card.
    5. After you pay full, they will tell you no stock, or just give you the display unit then claim that it is new eventhough there is an inch thick dust on top of the camera.
    6. Many of those small shops are working together. When you enter the first shop ask for a camera, they quote you high price. When you walk to the second one, they already know how much to quote you and you feel happy but still higher than the list price by the agent.
    So before you start the trip, do some homework first. Check out the model from the official website and see whether there are any new models or any promotion of particular model and what is the free gifts or package, get the list of authorized dealer. Find the most reasonable price as your reference point.
    During purchase, insist the model you want, never change. Follow the recommendation from official website. Check all standard accessories and hold on it before you make the payment. keep you eyes on your new baby when they are packing it for you. Better to go with a friend or 2 so that one of them holding the baby when you are making payment.
    Enjoy shopping, there are more other things to buy.
    I was told that there are record breaking number of migration birds visited HK this spring. Try your new baby there and share the photo with the bloggers.wings.gif
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    edited February 18, 2008
    You may be disappointed with the prices in HK. They don't seem to be any cheaper then in the States. The HK$ is pegged to the US$ so the exchange doesn't fluctuate either.

eg.
    B&H have the 580exII for $410 - thats about HK$3200 and I just paid $3300 for one. And I shopped around.

The Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM is priced at US$1059 (about HK$8260) on B&H and here it is around HK$8200.

If you want to check other equipment have a look at Tin Cheung's web site. Their prices are fairly representative of the local market.
    http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/home.php

The above are for product with full manufacturers warranty. If you don't mind grey imports (no guarantee) then you can get much cheaper. I bought a grey import Japanese Tamron lens and got it for HK$1000 cheaper than the local market version.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    I agree that the price in HK may not be cheaper than US. I bought my 100 mm F2.8 marco and 2X TC from Adorama website. It is much cheaper to got my colleague to "hand-carry" for me from US.
    You may try your luck to see whether there are any "friendly" sales staff to offer better price in the store.
    Again, most important is to do some homework and research before you buy.
    Good luck!!!!!
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    edited February 19, 2008
    Quick update for anybody reading this thread. The problem I had with the 580EX II flash serial number is a Canon issue, not a shop issue. So all is well with Tin Cheung again.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Buy what ever your need in the US.

Asia (with HK being the main player) is no longer what it used to be for consumer shopping. It used to be a wonderland.

I bought my 1st Canon SLR body in HK in the early 80's for about half what it would have cost me here in Australia at the time...i can now buy stuff here (if i shop hard) for the same price which means its automatically a good deal cheaper in the US. Everything related to cameras (excluding small ebay accessories like the generic remotes etc) is generally a lot cheaper in the US. You are spoilt far beyond anything you all realise with consumerism.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Thanks for the help everyone!
    I think I may peek into some stores while I am there, but my stick to my major purchases here. Now I just need to save enough $$ for the E3 before I go! Anyone wanna contribute?