Camera Brand Sightings in TV / Film?

2»

Comments

• xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    KED wrote:
    ...The thing is though, until you know about those white lenses, you probably don't even notice or have no idea what you are looking at brand-wise, so I'm not sure about it as a marketing thing...
    Perhaps. But I'd suggest almost every 'photographer,' from serious amateur to pro, knows exactly what a Canon looks like. And that's the secret. "Gee, all the big glossy ads are Nikon, but all I see being used by the pro's is Canon. Maybe I'll sell my Olympus and..."

Brand recognition AND brand reinforcement, in one, easy, stroke!

But you'll notice that, for the consumer, point-and-shoot, market Caon does more flashy magazine ads and TV spots. THAT'S meant to inform those who may be unaware of the brand.

thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    xris wrote:
    Perhaps. But I'd suggest almost every 'photographer,' from serious amateur to pro, knows exactly what a Canon looks like. And that's the secret. "Gee, all the big glossy ads are Nikon, but all I see being used by the pro's is Canon. Maybe I'll sell my Olympus and..."

Brand recognition AND brand reinforcement, in one, easy, stroke!

But you'll notice that, for the consumer, point-and-shoot, market Caon does more flashy magazine ads and TV spots. THAT'S meant to inform those who may be unaware of the brand.

thumb.gif
    Interesting perspective; when I was just a digital snap shooter, I bought my CoolPix based on my general impression that Nikon was top-of-the-line across the board. Then when I decided to get serious, a pro friend of mine (a Nikonista) convinced me to go Canon! Anyway, that was a year ago, now I have enough Canon gear to last me the rest of my life and have value in my estate, so advertising goes right over my head.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    I remember that Veronica Mars carries a
    Nikon and James Nachtwey carries two
    Canons in "War Photographer" mwink.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    I watch CSI Vegas a lot and I always see them photographing the crime scenes with Canon Digital Rebel XT(i)'s with the kit lens and sometimes a Speedlight.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    paid placement
    I'm just curious Shima -

With the exception of the photographers on the sidelines at sports events, those TVs and Movies are highly likely to be paid placements.

How does that tie into brand loyalty? (or are you just trying to see who notices their own camera brand when they watch... ?)
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    georges wrote:
    I'm just curious Shima -

With the exception of the photographers on the sidelines at sports events, those TVs and Movies are highly likely to be paid placements.

How does that tie into brand loyalty? (or are you just trying to see who notices their own camera brand when they watch... ?)

It is the foundation that gets people started on a brand, then the brand loyalty grows as they are reinforced that their camera brand is "widely used" as they see it in marketing (and in the case here it becomes a game of "can I spot my camera" lol") Very shortly here I will be posting my survey questions for you all to fill out if you're willing (won't take long too which is a major plus to getting people to fill them out) where we'll go over what camera people started with, what brand you're all personally fond of, whether you've stuck with your brand, and other such fun stuff for me to analyze :)
    edited February 23, 2008
    Well, I can take a pretty educated guess that they took that picture near the exit (the green characters in the upper left character, read "deguchi" mean exit) of Yodobashi Camera (which is what the characters on the top of the camera where the flash would be read, "yodobashikamera") which is an AWESOME electronics superstore that I purchased my electronic dictionary at in Osaka when I was there in 2005. :)

1 week from today until I leave for Japan to start conducting research abroad and seeing other awesome sights along the way!
    xris wrote:
    No idea where this came from, or who took it, but...

257926195_MNevT-M.jpg

thumb.gif
    edited February 23, 2008
    Just posted the survey on a separate thread. Please fill it out and help me gather even more data! Also, keep those brand sightings coming to this thread. Thanks :)
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Well, I can take a pretty educated guess that they took that picture near the exit (the green characters in the upper left character, read "deguchi" mean exit) of Yodobashi Camera (which is what the characters on the top of the camera where the flash would be read, "yodobashikamera") which is an AWESOME electronics superstore that I purchased my electronic dictionary at in Osaka when I was there in 2005. :)

1 week from today until I leave for Japan to start conducting research abroad and seeing other awesome sights along the way!

Look at that photo again and you'll notice it's an add on the side of a transit bus.:D
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    edited February 24, 2008
    salazar wrote:
    Look at that photo again and you'll notice it's an add on the side of a transit bus.:D

Ah well then the exit is probably labeling the side exit on the bus... meaning don't enter here to get on the bus :)
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    KED wrote:
    That is certainly true, and now that I am addicted to this stuff (and a Canon loyalist), I get a kick out of looking for those "white lenses" -- professional golf is another place where they can't be missed.

The thing is though, until you know about those white lenses, you probably don't even notice or have no idea what you are looking at brand-wise, so I'm not sure about it as a marketing thing. I'd wager that 90% of the people who are paying attention and "get it" are either Canon users (who don't need to be marketed to) or Nikon users (who can't be marketed to).

In the marketing world, this is known as 'segmentation'. The P&S buyer doesn't notice the white lens, but then Canon isn't selling white lenses to them anyway.

Pro photographers, and serious amateurs do notice of course, and that is clearly what Canon intends. Often you will see Canon logos near the Press photographers ' bull pen', just to reinforce this. The average joe isnt looking at the press photographers, while the pro and serious amateurs are looking there. The average guy notices the Canon logo on the court, the bus, at the airport, etc. Familiarity breeds intent.