Girl Scout Cookies... what do we pay for?

PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
edited February 22, 2008 in Cameras
Ever wondered what our Girl Scout Cookies obsession pays for?

I am a Samoas Addict myself and I love the new "All About"... but I was a little surprised when I saw this picture of Girl Scouts taking a few snap shots of each other with their P&S... this is found on the new "All About" Cookies' box.

:huh IMG_2364.jpg
Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM

Comments

• SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Ha Ha. I saw that Canon on the All Abouts box last year. Never thought about it the way you did... :D I agree the All Abouts are good stuff. I've been enjoying them for a few years now. thumb.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Girl Scouting is all about - bokeh!

At least I know that my 'thin mint money' is going to buy some nice Canon glass rather than some Nikon VR stuff.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    I'd just about kill for a samoa right now.
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Grainbelt wrote:
    I'd just about kill for a samoa right now.

I got 4 boxes yesterday ;)
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Samoas are the only girl scout cookie.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    I am a Samoas Addict

+1 though I won't eat them anymore. But by far, my favorite thumb.gif
  • Just BobJust Bob Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    I'm with Saved By Zero on this one.

PB all the way.

Didn't Do-si dos, used to be called Savannahs??

It's all good in cookie land.

PS: Have you seen the Girl Scout billboards with the "US mint?" (thin mints of course) ha ha

Peace,
    Bob
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Andy's response trigger this thought: Do we need to move this over to The Big Picture to complement the Andy/Baldy Feed Me Vegan fest over there? :D

Ah, probably not...

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    As the father of a former girl scout, I was surprised to find out what the profit from these cookies actually goes towards. Most of the profit gets funneled back into girl scout headquarters. The individual troops are each given money based on their amount of cookies sold.

Here is where it gets a little dicey. There is no oversight as to how this individual money is spent. I was quite disappointed to learn of this. This money could be used for local charities or perhaps to sponsor underprivileged girls who are interested in scouting.

Instead, our troop opted to use the money to take our girls to Busch Gardens.headscratch.gif Yes, a bunch of wealthy girls sold cookies to our friends, neighbors and coworkers so they could go to an amusement park. I was mortified and my daughter did not attend. This ended our girlscout experience.

My son is a proud Webelo and sells no cookies!
    100988302_baceU-L.jpg
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    now just wait a cotton-picking minute. How many cookies before I get my 1D series and jumbo lens? Should I be clipping box tops or something? Is there some catalog I'm not getting?

The real shot probably had a kid with a little P&S and the photog probably handed in his/her backup and shot with the OTHER 1D series on their waist...rolleyes1.gif

Courage. Confidence. Character. Canon.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    forget a career, I need to sell cookies....
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Courage. Confidence. Character. Canon.

rolleyes1.gif You need to trademark that ;)...

ps: I got a +1 from Andy! wings.gif
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Yes, a bunch of wealthy girls sold cookies to our friends, neighbors and coworkers so they could go to an amusement park. I was mortified and my daughter did not attend. This ended our girlscout experience.

On the other hand, maybe a bunch of little girls learned the value and reward of working for what you want. ne_nau.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • annaelycmannaelycm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    On the other hand, maybe a bunch of little girls learned the value and reward of working for what you want. ne_nau.gif

That is the whole purpose...they learn teamwork, planning and reward. My daughters troop also went to Busch Gardens with their money one year...but I can guarantee you it wasn't all fun and games...they had to spend several hours of behind the scenes learning about endangered animals, their care and responsibility, before they were reward with a play day the next day.

As for "Webelos" (Boy Scouts) they in turn sell POPCORN which is done in exactly the same fashion. Part of the money goes to Scouts, part of it to the troop and into the individual Scout's account which help them pay for their camping trips, hiking trips and summer camp.

It is all about making a goal, planning and learning to carry out your plan...and then reaping the rewards for a job well done.

Both my daughter's Girl Scout troop and my son's Boy Scout troop give back the community in many ways...helping out at Nursing Homes, lake cleanup, holiday food drives, adopting needy families at Christmas time and other community charities.
  • summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    YUMMMMMMM Thin Mints and Shortbreads.bowdown.gifbowdown.gifwings.gif