Yosemite - Horsetail Falls

ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
edited March 10, 2008 in Landscapes
Well, It's that time of year again folks.
If anyone is interested, there is about another week to go and see this for yourself. I'm heading back up again next weekend to give it another shot.

255816820_TUeCp-M.jpg

255816346_4EFsJ-M.jpg

255814789_Fci4V-M.jpg

And one just for fun :)

255815845_57DWj-M.jpg

Comments

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    When were you there and where did you take this from? I was there Friday. I saw it, but I didn't see any water, and besides I couldn't get a good shot because of the wheelchair. I'd like to go back and see if someone can tow me in a sled!

Nice job Ed!
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    I read at some places that this shot is possible only in february?
    Why?
    Any special significance for the so called "event".
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    When were you there and where did you take this from? I was there Friday. I saw it, but I didn't see any water, and besides I couldn't get a good shot because of the wheelchair. I'd like to go back and see if someone can tow me in a sled!

Nice job Ed!

Hey Mike, took this from a spot on South Side Drive, this is pretty close if you have a GPS, if not call me.. N37 43.664 W119 36.551

I'm heading back up next weekend if you need something just yell.

Ed
    edited February 18, 2008
    tsk1979 wrote:
    I read at some places that this shot is possible only in february?
    Why?
    Any special significance for the so called "event".

The setting sun lines up in February during the last couple of weeks to reflect off of the side of El Capitan to backlight Horsetail Falls.

Horsetail falls has to have quite a few things happen at the same time in order for it to have this look.

1. You have to actually get a visable sunset ( not obstructed by clouds, rain, snow )

2. There has to be snow pack, Horsetail is fed only from snow melting.

3. There has to be enough sun to melt the snow pack. (in Winter :) )

4. You have to be there :)

Other than that there's nothing to it :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Ed,

I think I've only seen one other shot of this waterfall lit up like that, and yes I did think it looked like molten lava pouring off the side of the mountain.

Quite an interesting phenomenon that I bet is a real treat to see.

These are great captures, and good luck next week again!
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    ehughes wrote:
    Hey Mike, took this from a spot on South Side Drive, this is pretty close if you have a GPS, if not call me.. N37 43.664 W119 36.551

I'm heading back up next weekend if you need something just yell.

Ed

No GPS. Probably not going to get back for a while...
  • VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Great photos clap.gif
    Yes, conditions for that shot are rather complicated.
  • endsoftheearthendsoftheearth Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Just another version to share
    Yes it is spectacular, yet fleeting and brief. rolleyes1.gif
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    I was supposed to be out there last Sat night trying to get a shot like that for the first time. Instead, I caught some nasty head/chest cold/flu thing that's been kicking my butt since Friday evening. :cry

Maybe next weekend will work out though with clouds moving in later this week, there's an off chance we won't get the sky conditions it needs.

Thanks for the GPS coords. There's construction in the area, so which roads are most open for getting to that spot (if you remember)?

Thanks.
    edited February 19, 2008
    Thwack wrote:
    I was supposed to be out there last Sat night trying to get a shot like that for the first time. Instead, I caught some nasty head/chest cold/flu thing that's been kicking my butt since Friday evening. :cry

Maybe next weekend will work out though with clouds moving in later this week, there's an off chance we won't get the sky conditions it needs.

Thanks for the GPS coords. There's construction in the area, so which roads are most open for getting to that spot (if you remember)?

Thanks.

North side drive is closed, the coords I gave are about 100 yards off of south side drive down by the river.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    As i would expect from you & that park ed...totally amazing !!thumb.gifthumb.gif
    edited February 19, 2008
    ehughes wrote:
    North side drive is closed, the coords I gave are about 100 yards off of south side drive down by the river.

Thanks! If weather and work cooperates, I'm hoping to at least see it in person this weekend (it's a long shot).
  • PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Thwack wrote:

Thanks.
    South Side Drive is open and TWO WAY. North Side is closed for a landslip removal.
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    edited February 21, 2008
    Thwack wrote:
    Thanks! If weather and work cooperates, I'm hoping to at least see it in person this weekend (it's a long shot).

I'll be there on Saturday, but the weather is looking pretty rough...
  • ajdocnhaileyajdocnhailey Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Gorgeous photos!!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Those shots are just ridiculous (in a good way). I remember seeing the same subject taken by Galen Rowell in one of his books recently, and was completely blown away. Nature can still be surprising. Yosemite is on my list (it's a long list, someday...)
    edited February 23, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Those shots are just ridiculous (in a good way). I remember seeing the same subject taken by Galen Rowell in one of his books recently, and was completely blown away. Nature can still be surprising. Yosemite is on my list (it's a long list, someday...)

I love the Rowell shot, they have a large print in his gallery in Bishop that I've been drooling over. :)
    edited February 24, 2008
    ehughes wrote:
    I'll be there on Saturday, but the weather is looking pretty rough...

I didn't even get close this weekend. Did you make it? The weather looked pretty bad though we had a surprisingly dry gap mid-afternoon (probably gone by the time the light was right for Horsetail Falls).

I'm guessing I'm out of luck for another year...
    edited February 25, 2008
    Thwack wrote:
    I didn't even get close this weekend. Did you make it? The weather looked pretty bad though we had a surprisingly dry gap mid-afternoon (probably gone by the time the light was right for Horsetail Falls).

I'm guessing I'm out of luck for another year...

I didn't make it up either, the weather kept me from heading up, I had a friend that was up in the park over the weekend. I'm waiting to hear if he got a shot at it.

Update: Saturday was a total shut out.. No visible sunset at all this past weekend.
    edited March 10, 2008
    ehughes wrote:
    I didn't make it up either, the weather kept me from heading up, I had a friend that was up in the park over the weekend. I'm waiting to hear if he got a shot at it.

Update: Saturday was a total shut out.. No visible sunset at all this past weekend.

Thanks for the coords. I went this past Saturday knowing full well I was too late for the "lava" shots but I wanted to see for myself where the shooting spot was at. Your coords made that very simple to do (thank you!!!!).

There was somebody already there as I walked towards the spot...they had a chair, tripod, thermos full of hot chocolate (and lots of useful info on getting "the shot"...I didn't catch their name but enjoyed the info they shared).

Next year, I'm moving into Yosemite from just after Valentine's until I get the shot... :-)