Options

Raw in DPP

PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited February 22, 2008 in Finishing School
Why is it that my photos look better when I process them in DPP, then in CS2?

I have a hard time in CS2 processing to jpg, the final is so so.

Then I decided to try out the software that came with my camera for raw.
Processing is so much easier, and the final jpg looks good.

Is this due to the software made for my camera better for raw conversion, or is it me?

Thanks

Pamela
Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net

Comments

• Options
    toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Pamela wrote:

Is this due to the software made for my camera better for raw conversion, or is it me?

Thanks

Pamela

I too use DPP often to convert RAW images and have the same thoughts as yourself. I used to use other RAW programs such as RSE (now Adobe Lightroom) and found I was getting better images quality in terms of noise and clour quality by using DPP. I would only be guessing but think that if a Canon is making a program specifically for its cameras then its going to have en edge over a program that is 'generic' in its interpretation. Then again others say they get better results by using other RAW programs. I treat it the same as differnet films, each RAW program is going to render the image a little differnetly.
  • Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    toadlet wrote:
    I too use DPP often to convert RAW images and have the same thoughts as yourself. I used to use other RAW programs such as RSE (now Adobe Lightroom) and found I was getting better images quality in terms of noise and clour quality by using DPP. I would only be guessing but think that if a Canon is making a program specifically for its cameras then its going to have en edge over a program that is 'generic' in its interpretation. Then again others say they get better results by using other RAW programs. I treat it the same as differnet films, each RAW program is going to render the image a little differnetly.

Are there any issues I can be causing with me using DPP for raw conversion , then using CS2 , to put final touches with actions or others changes.

I dont have the latest DPP version, Im using a mac OS 10.4.10 / if I decide to download the latest version, do you know if I have to uninstall the one Im using now?

Thanks
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Pamela wrote:
    ...I dont have the latest DPP version, Im using a mac OS 10.4.10 / if I decide to download the latest version, do you know if I have to uninstall the one Im using now?Thanks
    I believe the install does that automatically. (The 'Read Me' will tell you.) But I also seem to remember that the older versions are available for download too, so you can always go back. (The new version is much nicer to use, BTW. And faster. At least on the PC.)

I've found the same, BTW. I don't have tons of experience with PShop, but it seems to me that even Irfranview does a better job with Canon RAW, and much faster than PS. I even have this weird theory that photo's converted in Adobe app's don't look as good when opened in other, non-Adobe app's. But that may well just be my bile speaking?
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    The new DPP has several improvements for noise reduction and several lens specific corrections, it's well worth the upgrade. I didn't have to uninstall the old version, but I'm on a PC.

Canon raw in IRFanview???wings.gif ??? What and where is the plugin please!!! Thanks
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    achambers wrote:
    Canon raw in IRFanview???wings.gif ??? What and where is the plugin please!!! Thanks
    It's in with the the whole plug-in kit. File is called 'formats.exe' I think.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Click 'plugins'

Cheers
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    APKAPK Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    DPP vs ACR
    Pamela wrote:

Thanks

Pamela

I find DPP3.2 to be vastly superior to ACR (CS2, I don't have CS3 which I understand is better than CS2). Better color, less noise, better contrast from DPP.
    I open in DPP, set shadows and highlights, white balance and sharpening, then convert to Tiff (16bit) and further process if necessary in PS (sizing, sharpen for print, convert for web, masking, hdr, velviavision etc.). I have not had great luck printing from DPP so print from PS with softproofing.
    AlanPK
    Bodies: 5D, D60, G9,
    Lenses: 16-35L f2.8, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 85LII f1.2, 100 f2.0, 135L f2.0, 300L f4.0, 50CM f2.5 + LSC, 24 f3.5L TS-E
    Misc: 1.4TC, 580EX, MR-14EX