Options

aRGB v. sRGB colorspace

brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
edited February 18, 2008 in Finishing School
Please help me with this one:
Gotcha:Only replace with images that are in sRGB colorspace. After replacing any photo, please double-check the cropping! .

When I change the color space using my Nikon Capture program the colors do not look like those on the SM screen... Why do I need to switch to sRGB when using the replace photo option?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Please help me with this one:

When I change the color space using my Nikon Capture program the colors do not look like those on the SM screen... Why do I need to switch to sRGB when using the replace photo option?

Describe your full workflow please.... thanks. Leave nothing out so that those who want to help you, can help you. Thanks!

Also, there are a half - dozen relevant threads on the first couple of pages here in the Finishing School. Have a read, and then post your workflow with questions.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Describe your full workflow please.... thanks. Leave nothing out so that those who want to help you, can help you. Thanks!
    I shoot RAW using my D2h in color mode II (aRGB). Open in Nikon Capture, adjust curves (setting the black point on the curves palet), use photo effects palet to "enhance dark tones," add USM and sometimes tweak the exposure (-.33 on this one). Then add Noise reduction if shot at hi ISO (this pic was ISO 1600)

253276645_34YW5-M.jpg

I then save the RAW file, and "save as" JPG for uploading....
    I've never converted the color space when uploading to SM...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    I then save the RAW file, and "save as" JPG for uploading....
    I've never converted the color space when uploading to SM...
    Save as sRGB. If you don't, we do it for you when you upload (and it's always better if you do it).

When you make your replacement images, be sure they are in sRGB.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/srgb-versus-adobe-rgb-1998
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Save as sRGB. If you don't, we do it for you when you upload (and it's always better if you do it).

When you make your replacement images, be sure they are in sRGB.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/srgb-versus-adobe-rgb-1998

Thanks. I had read that earlier. What I'm not following is why when I convert in my program do the colors not look the same as when SM converts upon upload? When I do it the pic looks worse...
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Thanks. I had read that earlier. What I'm not following is why when I convert in my program do the colors not look the same as when SM converts upon upload? When I do it the pic looks worse...

How are you doing the color space conversion? You should be "converting" to a new profile, not "assigning" a new profile. And, the saved image must contain the color profile (I stay away from Save for the Web in Photoshop which can save without including the profile).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    How are you doing the color space conversion? You should be "converting" to a new profile, not "assigning" a new profile. And, the saved image must contain the color profile (I stay away from Save for the Web in Photoshop which can save without including the profile).

I'm using the Nikon Capture program and adjusting the color space to sRGB in the Advanced RAW palet before saving as JPG
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    I'm using the Nikon Capture program and adjusting the color space to sRGB in the Advanced RAW palet before saving as JPG

Maybe someone who knows Nikon Capture can help with some ideas. I don't know or have that program.

Does Nikon Capture offer any settings related to the conversion to sRGB? Do they offer a "rendering intent"? or a [X] Black Point Compensation option? Are you sure it's converting to sRGB-IEC61966-2.1?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008

Because Nikon Capture is a color managed application and apparently the browser you're using isn't.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Maybe someone who knows Nikon Capture can help with some ideas. I don't know or have that program.

Does Nikon Capture offer any settings related to the conversion to sRGB? Do they offer a "rendering intent"? or a [X] Black Point Compensation option? Are you sure it's converting to sRGB-IEC61966-2.1?

NC only has a way to convert the color space of the RAW image... no "rendering intent" like PS... I did the conversion to sRGB-IEC61966-2.1 using PSCS2 and it looks fine... I'm not sure how NC does the conversion. Thanks
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    NC only has a way to convert the color space of the RAW image... no "rendering intent" like PS... I did the conversion to sRGB-IEC61966-2.1 using PSCS2 and it looks fine... I'm not sure how NC does the conversion. Thanks

Don't sweat the rendering intent issue, all simple matrix profiles only have the Relative Colorimetric table in them, you can't get Perceptual or Saturation (despite what you select in Photoshop). Black Point Compensation is useful, but mostly going from working space to output color spaces. IF you select sRGB in NC, you're fine.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/