Canon 40D
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Duckys54 wrote:

:yikes

Just what we don't need, a "feature" that will raise the price w/o improving image quality.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    If I wanted a video camera, I'd buy one (well, actually I have mwink.gif).
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    I don't like making videos
    I hope that never happens
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    You can always use multi shot and then convert to Flash video in PCSC3 anyhow. Do a long burst and play away!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Harryb wrote:

Just what we don't need, a "feature" that will raise the price w/o improving image quality.

more than likely lower the qual...gotta make room for the video crap....
    Aaron Nelson
  • anmoldagreatanmoldagreat Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 18, 2008
    I really hope they dont. and if they do they should and hopefully will leave it on low end models like the rebels.

like all the cameras that use sd.

but i also said that they should leave live view with rebels and whatnot but w/e.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    Harryb wrote:

Hyperbaric wrote:
    If I wanted a video camera, I'd buy one.

Sums up my thoughts exactly. Thanks, but no thanks.

Sometimes more isn't better, it's just more. This is one of those cases IMHO.
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    A friend of mine works for Red, the new motion picture video camera. It records 30 high definition images (just like out of our DSLRs) per second and records them on an array of 8gb CF cards. Any one of those could be pulled and made into a gorgeous print.

These units are running about 30k, whereas a good Panavision is about 500K more or less.

The times, they are a changin'.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    As long as the still picture quality doesn't suffer I wouldn't mind a movie mode on my 40D, especially HD format. Upgrading all my CF cards is a different matter though.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 19, 2008
    Tommyboy wrote:
    A friend of mine works for Red, the new motion picture video camera. It records 30 high definition images (just like out of our DSLRs) per second and records them on an array of 8gb CF cards. Any one of those could be pulled and made into a gorgeous print.

These units are running about 30k, whereas a good Panavision is about 500K more or less.

The times, they are a changin'.

Are they shipping units now? I have been interested in the "Red One" for some time now.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=44111
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    The reason I got into dSLRs was to improve my still photography! I have no interest in making movies with an SLR.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    The worst thing that happened to video cameras was making them take still pictures... I really hope the reverse doesn't happen with SLRs. Sometimes unitaskers are better.
    Chris
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Sums up my thoughts exactly. Thanks, but no thanks.

Sometimes more isn't better, it's just more. This is one of those cases IMHO.
    I have a hard time believing that Canon or Nikon would muck up their high-end models with what would surely be a sub-optimal feature such as this. But if they do, I know just how to respond: Don't buy one!
    edited February 25, 2008
    :D That is exactly what my intent is--if they muck it up I just won't even consider the models offering hte feature. I guess I'm something of a Luddite in the world of the iPhone (blech), I totally agree with ChrisJ's last comment: sometimes unitaskers are better. If I want stills, I will use a still camera optimized for the task; if I want video, I'll use a video camera optimized for that task.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Sooo . . . you "unitaskers" don't own or use any zoom lenses?mwink.gif

Anyway, I don't even use the movie mode (very often) on my P&S cameras, so have no interest in getting an SLR with the feature, but I can easily imagine PJ situations where it would be VERY useful, if only to record context, or even the photographer's comments about a scene.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Harryb wrote:

I totally agree....my KM A2 will shoot short movies and i have used it once on my blk lab pointing out in a phaesant field...but it was a pain to switch back and forth.....never used it again.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Icebear wrote:

Anyway, I don't even use the movie mode (very often) on my P&S cameras, so have no interest in getting an SLR with the feature, but I can easily imagine PJ situations where it would be VERY useful, if only to record context, or even the photographer's comments about a scene.

The really good high end digital video cams are perfect so that.....they have enuff mp to pull off decent news print photo stills.....but to put video on a great high end Prosumer or pro dslr is indeed sacreligious to say the lest........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited February 26, 2008
    Icebear wrote:

rolleyes1.gif Got us. OK so there's a limit to my silliness. But then at this point there's little compromise in image quality to using a zoom--but it took a while to get there.
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Are they shipping units now? I have been interested in the "Red One" for some time now.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=44111

Yes, on their backlog. They have a pretty informative website. Check it out.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Duckys54 wrote:
    DSLRs now soon to be recording movies?
    What about adding a phone? :D
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    I want a toaster on my camera.

Hey our phones have pics now too, I say go for it. Come on people, its only a few days ago some of us complained about the switch from film to digital, I'm sure we'll adapt.

Now... if Canon and Nikon incorporated a sensor-based IS system... that would be extraordinary...for us, but not for their lens sales. Haha.
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Duckys54 wrote:

I honestly could give more of a crap if pidgeons could fly.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.