Options

More LR Advice Please?

KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
edited February 19, 2008 in Finishing School
I have exhausted all of my many bookmarked LR resources before posting this here, but this seems to be the place where I always find my answers. I'm now starting to add a significant volume of images in LR. Organizationally, I use a hierarchical Folder system where the main folder is one of the schools whose sports I shoot, and then I create an individual sub-folder for each event; I name the subfolder by date and opponent. I've noticed some really strange behaviors within the folders lately, and I hope with your help to understand the cause and how to prevent these. There are three unrelated behaviors/questions, the third of which probably has a very obvious answer.

1. I imported a voluminous (300+) shoot into the appropriate subfolder on Saturday. I worked on every single non-reject image in Develop, exported a bunch to SmugMug, and called it a day. The next day, that subfolder showed up as empty, and the images were in a different subfolder altogether. For me, moving things around in folders is not second nature yet so I could not have done this accidentally. Has anyone experienced this and been able to figure out what happened?

2. LR has created sub-sub folders inside some of my events. For example, I have a folder called 2008-xx-xx X vs Y that I created myself and populated with images. Somehow, it now has a subfolder simply called 2008, containing the same images. However, if I move images into 2008-xx-yy, the image count in that folder goes up, but not in the subfolder, so they are no longer the same. I guess on this one, I'd like to prevent the sub-sub folder phenomenon from occurring, without losing anything in the process.

3.. Does anyone know why some of the right arrows for folders are opaque white, while others are transparent? The transparency is NOT because the folder is empty.

I am getting nervous about my organizational scheme blowing up, and don't have time to go undo random LR acts. I'm also real frustrated about the lack resources to help me resolve these issues. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    Update
    I'm getting advice on the LR forum that has helped me to make great strides. There's denial about the random migration of images from one folder to another (item #1), but otherwise I feel like I'm getting back in control of my images.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    KED wrote:
    I'm getting advice on the LR forum that has helped me to make great strides. There's denial about the random migration of images from one folder to another (item #1), but otherwise I feel like I'm getting back in control of my images.
    So glad to here this Kent! clap.gif

Check back there for more on 'random migration'!

thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    KED wrote:
    I have exhausted all of my many bookmarked LR resources before posting this here, but this seems to be the place where I always find my answers. I'm now starting to add a significant volume of images in LR. Organizationally, I use a hierarchical Folder system where the main folder is one of the schools whose sports I shoot, and then I create an individual sub-folder for each event; I name the subfolder by date and opponent. I've noticed some really strange behaviors within the folders lately, and I hope with your help to understand the cause and how to prevent these. There are three unrelated behaviors/questions, the third of which probably has a very obvious answer.

1. I imported a voluminous (300+) shoot into the appropriate subfolder on Saturday. I worked on every single non-reject image in Develop, exported a bunch to SmugMug, and called it a day. The next day, that subfolder showed up as empty, and the images were in a different subfolder altogether. For me, moving things around in folders is not second nature yet so I could not have done this accidentally. Has anyone experienced this and been able to figure out what happened?

2. LR has created sub-sub folders inside some of my events. For example, I have a folder called 2008-xx-xx X vs Y that I created myself and populated with images. Somehow, it now has a subfolder simply called 2008, containing the same images. However, if I move images into 2008-xx-yy, the image count in that folder goes up, but not in the subfolder, so they are no longer the same. I guess on this one, I'd like to prevent the sub-sub folder phenomenon from occurring, without losing anything in the process.

3.. Does anyone know why some of the right arrows for folders are opaque white, while others are transparent? The transparency is NOT because the folder is empty.

I am getting nervous about my organizational scheme blowing up, and don't have time to go undo random LR acts. I'm also real frustrated about the lack resources to help me resolve these issues. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

WRT #2: your image import options probably has Organize: by original folders as the setting. Try using Organize: Into one folder.

WRT #3: white arrows indicates the presence of one or more subfolders. Click it once and it will point downwards to reveal the subfolder(s). Opaque means no subfolder(s).
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    The 2008 folder was almost certainly created because you had either "copy" or "move" set when you imported the files. I am guessing that you imported the files more than once and the second time you had Lightroom move the files on import.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The 2008 folder was almost certainly created because you had either "copy" or "move" set when you imported the files. I am guessing that you imported the files more than once and the second time you had Lightroom move the files on import.
    Not deliberately! I need to check my import preferences, thanks.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    LRmvcDonR wrote:
    So glad to here this Kent! clap.gif

Check back there for more on 'random migration'!

thumb.gif

Don
    Thanks, I think this case is closed!

Hey everybody: LR Forums is a thumb.gif ! And, the more that LR users here participate over there, the better off both sites and its patrons will be.
  • Options
    PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    KED wrote:

They probably didn't migrate. It looks like you had 'organize by date' checked, in which case the folders would be elsewhere :-))

The reason you THINK they have moved is that immediately after an import session, LR plonks you into the Recent Import view, so you see all images irrespective of where you are.

LR imports are not as intuitive as (I think) they should be. Hang in there.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Pittspilot wrote:
    They probably didn't migrate. It looks like you had 'organize by date' checked, in which case the folders would be elsewhere :-))

The reason you THINK they have moved is that immediately after an import session, LR plonks you into the Recent Import view, so you see all images irrespective of where you are.

LR imports are not as intuitive as (I think) they should be. Hang in there.
    Yes, I think there was some "pilot error" involved there on the initial import (stuck the images in the wrong folder), and then when I thought I was developing in the proper folder I was actually developing in Previous Import or whatever it's called. To give credit where it's due, I did gain this insight on LR Forums ("Fora", to be precise), so it is a resource for all of us.
  • Options
    PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Yes, I think there was some "pilot error" involved there on the initial import (stuck the images in the wrong folder), and then when I thought I was developing in the proper folder I was actually developing in Previous Import or whatever it's called. To give credit where it's due, I did gain this insight on LR Forums ("Fora", to be precise), so it is a resource for all of us.

You must be a Brit!!!! No one in the us says Fora - and no it isn't a margarine.

Cheers
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Pittspilot wrote:
    You must be a Brit!!!! No one in the us says Fora - and no it isn't a margarine.

Cheers
    Boy you must not have hung around the Adobe Lightroom Beta Fora or the current User to User Forum much. I've been to britain. Have some most excellent friends there, but I used 'Fora' and many others, all over those two places for the past two years!

Personally. I am used to an international flavor to forums, having Buddies around the world!

New Zealand, Japan, Korea, UK, Canada, Brazil, Sweden. Spain to name a few.

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Pittspilot wrote:

Cheers
    No, just an educated American with some basic training in Latin -- there are many of us educated Americans up in here; so lest you are tempted, please don't take the other side of that as I don't want to get involved.