The Mercer Oak - Princeton Battlefield State Park

jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
edited February 22, 2008 in Landscapes
The beloved Mercer Oak, which had seen and survived the Battle of Princeton and the birth and vibrant life of a new nation, state and municipality, was torn by high winds on Friday March 3, 2000. It was a sad sight to see the once giant oak finally succumb to nature's elements. Many came to mourn the tree, which had stood bravely alone on the battlefield for about 300 years.

Although the Mercer Oak is no longer it looks as if another tree was planted there...the clouds are what got me today!
256152817_GGKdA-XL.jpg
Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown

Comments

• JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    This is very nice. I love the way the clouds stand out. The colors feel warm to me too.:D
  • LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Absolutely gorgeous clouds!
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    The clouds got me faling backwards..Amazing capture!clap.gifclap
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
  • TallyHoTallyHo Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Amazing shot, am curious what PP you did. It has a nice dreamy feel to it, did you use HDR ?
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Beautiful
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    I pass that area all the time and never noticed that huge tree gone!! eek7.gifcry my excuse? I pass by it at night, all other times I go to Princeton via Rt. 1.

The clouds makes an impression that there is a battle to be fought, given that it was fought 300 years ago.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    thats a great shot- how did you get the details out of the clouds on this one? mwink.gif
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Thanks for all of your kind and supportive comments! thumb.gif

This was an HDR of 3 exposures merged in Photomatrix.

I must give credit to the clouds....they were truly amazing in person...I had my mouth open in awe. 3 minutes before this I was stuck in my car in a torrential downpour....unbelievelable right?

I pass that area all the time and never noticed that huge tree gone!! my excuse? I pass by it at night, all other times I go to Princeton via Rt. 1.

The clouds makes an impression that there is a battle to be fought, given that it was fought 300 years ago.

YAY! A fellow New Jersian!! :D I just discovered this park yesterday...I usually use Route 1 as well.
    Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
  • VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Truly amazing clouds, nice work !
    thumb.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Wow! I absolutely love the lighting in the foreground and the clouds in the background are sweet! Technically it's very good as well, perfect sharpness and exposure, great photo.
    edited February 21, 2008
    Thank you so much! I really truly appreciate that comments!
    Jen Rinaldi

• BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    The beloved Mercer Oak, which had seen and survived the Battle of Princeton and the birth and vibrant life of a new nation, state and municipality, was torn by high winds on Friday March 3, 2000. It was a sad sight to see the once giant oak finally succumb to nature's elements. Many came to mourn the tree, which had stood bravely alone on the battlefield for about 300 years.

Although the Mercer Oak is no longer it looks as if another tree was planted there...the clouds are what got me today!
    Can you possibly give some insight into how you achieved the colors and dynamic in this photo?
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
    edited February 22, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    Can you possibly give some insight into how you achieved the colors and dynamic in this photo?

It's was done as an HDR. I took three exposures and used Photomatrix to merge the 3 photos together adjusting the sliders accordingly.

Then I brought it into Photoshop to tweak the levels slightly and did a noise reduction pass through Noise Ninja. :D
    Jen Rinaldi

• BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    It's was done as an HDR. I took three exposures and used Photomatrix to merge the 3 photos together adjusting the sliders accordingly.

Then I brought it into Photoshop to tweak the levels slightly and did a noise reduction pass through Noise Ninja. :D

Very cool...I am still trying to figure out HDR...The results you have there are very well done!!!!! Thanks for sharing how you did it.
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com