What is your opinion of this lens?

RManderRMander Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited February 19, 2008 in Cameras
I have been looking for a lens that does it all I came up with the Tamron 28-300 mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DI LD ASP AF Lens f/Canon EOS. I have the EOS 400D Digital Rebel XTi 10.1 Megapixel SLR Digital Camera.

Also, I like to go to concerts does anyone know of a good but non-expensive lens that would shoot well under those circumstances?

Thanks for your help in advance! J

Noob Camera Guy

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 18, 2008
    RMander,

Welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I strongly suggest refraining from HTML coding in the forums as different color schemes make the text almost illegible. As such, I copied the text of your message here without HTML:

I have been looking for a lens that does it all I came up with the Tamron 28-300 mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DI LD ASP AF Lens f/Canon EOS. I have the EOS 400D Digital Rebel XTi 10.1 Megapixel SLR Digital Camera.

Also, I like to go to concerts does anyone know of a good but non-expensive lens that would shoot well under those circumstances?

Noob Camera Guy
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 18, 2008
    RMander wrote:

Noob Camera Guy

The Tamron 28-300 mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DI LD would probably not be a first choice for a concert lens.

I suspect you would find focus to be slow and that lens needs to be stopped down for best sharpness.

Generally, a good concert lens would have a large aperture as well as good sharpness even wide open.

A great example of this is Andy's image of "Sting":

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=11413

Shot with a Canon 85mm, f1.8 it would seem almost ideal, depending upon your seats/shooting position.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RManderRMander Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 18, 2008
    Thank you for that tip!
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    That 85/1.8 would be one of the very few to meet the "good for concerts, but not expensive" category. Any zoom that can do concerts will be expensive.