Options

Any opinions on Dan Margulis's book, Professional Photoshop?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    Baldy,

Can't wait for you recommendation. I need a book like that.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    I've been seriously tempted to do that and probably will. The only thing that has stopped me is he is controversial among some big names like Bruce Fraser, who thinks by the numbers workflow is inefficient.
    Dan has influenced you and you wrote something based his work. It's only honest to cite him. You don't have to tell others to read his book, only that it exists and that it helped you. People will figure out if it isn't for them pretty quickly.

You can just have an acknowlegements section or a further reading list or a bibliography. You can even be 100% honest about it. Something like:
    A lot of the information presented here, I learned from reading Dan Margulis' Professional Photoshop. This book advances a quantitative approach and many photographers find it too technical. For people with the right mindset, though, it does reward the work required to read and understand it.

If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    I used a lot of words to say something simple. You can and should cite Dan without necessarily recommending his book as an easy on-ramp to color correction.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Baldy,

Can't wait for you recommendation. I need a book like that.
    Buy Margulis. You might need another book as well. But everyone who cares should at least have it as a reference.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    wxwax - A simple way to help dial in a monitor at work is to go to www.easyrgb.com and follow the links on their site through their little monitor calibration routine - It is not a replacement for a colorimeter, but will get your monitor closer than you can eyeball it. It is free too! Give it a try and see if it is any better. They make no changes to your existing profiles so what's to lose?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've tried EasyRGB and I think it only changes the colors displayed for it's own program and website, which uses those values. Since it doesn't actually change any settings, and doesn't make a profile that can be loaded into PS, I don't think it really calibrates your monitor.

Which is unfortunate, because I am still looking for a cheap (read: free) basic calibration program. People have mentioned Adobe Gamma but I don't think I have that?? So if anyone has a cheap recommendation for me, I'm all ears. I think this thread's discussion is wasted on me until I can calibrate.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've tried EasyRGB and I think it only changes the colors displayed for it's own program and website, which uses those values. Since it doesn't actually change any settings, and doesn't make a profile that can be loaded into PS, I don't think it really calibrates your monitor.

Which is unfortunate, because I am still looking for a cheap (read: free) basic calibration program. People have mentioned Adobe Gamma but I don't think I have that?? So if anyone has a cheap recommendation for me, I'm all ears. I think this thread's discussion is wasted on me until I can calibrate.
    I've found this page helpful before. But the whole point of this thread is that calibrating you monitor isn't the first step on the road to color correction. The first step is understanding a little applied color theory. I'm sorry about it, but really that's the way it is.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    re giving credit to Margulis, etc.

Would it not be as in writing a paper: in school? A bibliography so to speak?

Also, I have run prints through the smugmug thing, and I had no problem with the prints. When I did so, I found the system improved.

Finding the prices is an issue for me and my family, but others don't seem to have trouble with that. I can wait until they do. (Actually, I can find the prices just fine, with some thought and work, but I have had to talk my family, college graduates all, through the process of finding out how much prints cost) Sorry, my own personal peeve, nothing to do with Margulis and/or prints colors and/or monitor calibration.

ginger

Could say, "Credit goes to Dan Margulis without whom I could not have made such and such knowledge available. His book is ............"

I would be happy with you giving the knowledge to me, and I would also be happy knowing, "hey, there goes another Margulis fan (nut). I am sure glad he understands that stuff and thereby can give it to me in a reasonable form."

If I wanted his book I would buy it, if not, I would pick your brain.

I will say here, I do have his book. I use Kelby more often, but when I want Margulis, I want Margulis. It is usually the last cry for help on my part, and sometimes it helps enough to pull something through. And he is fun.

And, Baldy, I really appreciate that info on the skin color, it has been useful since the darn pigeon shot, when you first told me about yellow and magenta, The way you presented the info to the public is only going to add to my knowledge: especially in the "how to get the yellow IN".

And, Rutt, without whom I would not have known of the Margulis book, I am glad of every little thing you know. Smile.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I've found this page helpful before. But the whole point of this thread is that calibrating you monitor isn't the first step on the road to color correction. The first step is understanding a little applied color theory. I'm sorry about it, but really that's the way it is.
    Don't be sorry about it, I'm the one asking for the help! As I said, I haven't followed this discussion much and I should have before I chimed in.

As for the page you linked to, I can adjust the gamma to make the chart look right, but then everything else is so dark. The gamma values I'm ending up using are in the low .60's...headscratch.gif

Anyway, thanks and I'll figure it out sometime. Takes a while to sink in to my thick skull.