My first Official post!

TJAmyTJAmy Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited March 26, 2004 in Wildlife
I am still learning about all the buttons on my camera. I have the Sony f828 and would love some advise about metering. I pulled over to take these guys picture today and have no idea what my camera was set on. It was a very overcast day and these guys were not happy to see me.

Comments

• TJAmyTJAmy Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    I still have these pictures way too big. I'll figure it out soon!
    edited March 24, 2004
    How does Andy get his pictures so crisp? ne_nau.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 24, 2004
    TJAmy wrote:
    How does Andy get his pictures so crisp? ne_nau.gif
    There are a number of things he may be doing differently. You said you did not know what our camera was set at - Well... the ISO was 200 according to the EXIF data embedded in your picture. You might have less noise in the image if it hd been shot at ISO 50. But you may not have had enough light to hand hold at ISO 50 becuse your aperature was f2.0. YOu could have used a flash to enable a lower ISO value. The 828 takes lovely pictures but is known to get noisy at the higher ISOs.

Andy may( and he may not - I have not asked him ) have used a plug-in in Photoshop to decrease the noise - Image Doctor or Noise Ninja will both do this. I ran your image through Image Doctor while I cloned out some of he vegetation and this is what I ended up with. I also added the frame to set the image off. These are all things that are easily donr in and image editing program. Sometimes we, as photographers, get so excited by what we see, that we do not notice the weeds in the way of our image until we get the picture back....... Hmmm - the picture is not getting attached - I will link it via smugmug

Hee we go.....3057494-L.jpg

Perhaps Andy will tell us himself - I would be interested too......
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    TJA, if this is your first "official" post, what were the others? ne_nau.gifmwink.gif
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
    edited March 24, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    TJA, if this is your first "official" post, what were the others? ne_nau.gifmwink.gif
    The first post I did...I was really frustrated 'cause I couldn't get my pictures to upload. So I just took one picture in my file and tried to resize it to see if I could get it uploaded on the site. When I did I was so excited I didn't realize I could erase it. This time I knew what pictures I wanted you all to see. So, it was like starting over. eek7.gifheadscratch.gif Forgive me......! I just want you to like me:cry . Just kidding.
    edited March 24, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    There are a number of things he may be doing differently. You said you did not know what our camera was set at - Well... the ISO was 200 according to the EXIF data embedded in your picture. You might have less noise in the image if it hd been shot at ISO 50. But you may not have had enough light to hand hold at ISO 50 becuse your aperature was f2.0. YOu could have used a flash to enable a lower ISO value. The 828 takes lovely pictures but is known to get noisy at the higher ISOs.

Andy may( and he may not - I have not asked him ) have used a plug-in in Photoshop to decrease the noise - Image Doctor or Noise Ninja will both do this. I ran your image through Image Doctor while I cloned out some of he vegetation and this is what I ended up with. I also added the frame to set the image off. These are all things that are easily donr in and image editing program. Sometimes we, as photographers, get so excited by what we see, that we do not notice the weeds in the way of our image until we get the picture back....... Hmmm - the picture is not getting attached - I will link it via smugmug

Hee we go.....3057494-L.jpg

Perhaps Andy will tell us himself - I would be interested too......
    I do like it much better without the cattails. Your right about needing more light. My camera has different "Scenes" that you can take you picture in, according to the lighting conditions. That is what I meant about not knowing what the camera was set in. I have noticed though with this camera when I use the digital zoom, my pictures have more noise. Thanks for the input. You have reminded me of some things I should think about just before taking the shot. My photography background basically is studio shots. It would take me a day or two to plan a shot, set it up, and finally waste a roll of film and a box of paper to get the picture I wanted. I really need to practise the hear and now, get it, get it....shot.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2004
    tj, I really, really like that first shot.

The bulk of Andy's shots with the f828 were at ISO 50. I always checked because of the 828's reputation for noise at higher ISOs.

Amy, I would suggest not using the "Scenes". Others might disagree, but I think they make bad shots, not good ones.

Either keep the camera on regular Auto, or do a slightly modified manual control. Set the ISO at 50, and then think about maybe shooting in shutter priority. Small f number = shallow depth of field, so proper focus is critical, but you get tons of light coming in. Bigger number = everything in focus, but the aperature is smaller, so less light gets in. Might be a problem at ISO 50.

You have a great camera... it will take many excellent pictures for you as you come to learn it and take advantage of it. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited March 25, 2004
    Thanks
    wxwax wrote:
    tj, I really, really like that first shot.

The bulk of Andy's shots with the f828 were at ISO 50. I always checked because of the 828's reputation for noise at higher ISOs.

Amy, I would suggest not using the "Scenes". Others might disagree, but I think they make bad shots, not good ones.

Either keep the camera on regular Auto, or do a slightly modified manual control. Set the ISO at 50, and then think about maybe shooting in shutter priority. Small f number = shallow depth of field, so proper focus is critical, but you get tons of light coming in. Bigger number = everything in focus, but the aperature is smaller, so less light gets in. Might be a problem at ISO 50.

You have a great camera... it will take many excellent pictures for you as you come to learn it and take advantage of it. thumb.gif
    Thanks so much, I really do appreciate your time. I am really close to where those ducks live, so I'll try it again. wave.gif
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2004
    TJAmy wrote:
    The first post I did...I was really frustrated 'cause I couldn't get my pictures to upload. So I just took one picture in my file and tried to resize it to see if I could get it uploaded on the site. When I did I was so excited I didn't realize I could erase it. This time I knew what pictures I wanted you all to see. So, it was like starting over. eek7.gifheadscratch.gif Forgive me......! I just want you to like me:cry . Just kidding.
    Aw, no forgiveness needed, I was just ribbing you.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 25, 2004
    TJAmy wrote:
    I do like it much better without the cattails. Your right about needing more light. .......I have noticed though with this camera when I use the digital zoom, my pictures have more noise. .......... My photography background basically is studio shots. It would take me a day or two to plan a shot, set it up, and finally waste a roll of film and a box of paper to get the picture I wanted. I really need to practise the hear and now, get it, get it....shot.
    If you have been shooting studio work you are going to do great with the 828.

You are correct that for the best quality you will want to avoid digital zoom and stick to optical zoom only to avoid the intorduction of noise.

Go shoot those geese again now and let us see how much better you have become already!lickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited March 26, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    If you have been shooting studio work you are going to do great with the 828.

You are correct that for the best quality you will want to avoid digital zoom and stick to optical zoom only to avoid the intorduction of noise.

Go shoot those geese again now and let us see how much better you have become already!lickout.gif
    I will, :lift :lift Off I go.....THanks
    Tammy