Nellie. CC welcome

Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
edited February 23, 2008 in People
These are a few of the shots from a recent shoot with my good friend Nellie.
I've just recently started photographing people and this was my second ever shoot. the first one was in a studio (one of the images i posed for LPS) and this one was in a warehouse. Any comments and criticism from the people experts would be greatly appreciated!

I've been thinking of taking senior pics and charging some money as a way to practice my photography.

Let me know what you all think!

256440798_2BE2D-L.jpg

255775463_Cq9dU-L.jpg

256037550_SVKq5-L.jpg

Izzy

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 19, 2008
    Hi Izzy,

I don't see the pics. Is the gallery set to allow external links? headscratch.gif

Regards,
  • Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    weird, I see them in my computer. let me see if i can fix it
    edited February 19, 2008
    Hey Richard, thanks for letting me know. can you see them now?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 19, 2008
    Hey Richard, thanks for letting me know. can you see them now?

Yep, that fixed it. Nice shooting. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    These are very nice, and deserve a detailed critique. If nothing else, chrging for Sr photos would be a good excuse to endulge yourself in your hobby, and also earn $$ for that ever growing equipment list we all have tucked away in our brains!!!

It appears to me you will have no problem getting clients for these types of shoots.

On to that critique!!! mwink.gif

#1- This one pose doesn't really work for me. I think her arm looks awkward across the frame. The lighting isn't playing very nice with the brim of her hat. I am definately not allergic to tilted photos, but the tilt her doesn't work either. Either tilt it so that it looks purposefull or keep it straight.

#2- The lighting is much better here, and her eyes are captured well. Two adjustments to stregthen it would be......to NOT cut off her right hand (camera left) and if possible, crop the right side of the image so the machine doesn't end before the edge of the photo.

#3- THis is a very good photograph. I like the lighting and the pose looks very relaxed and feminine. Nice.....but...her foot is amputated. Also, one imporatant thing to consider in any portrait is finished print size. For example an 8x10 crop is a pretty deep cut on a 2:3 aspect frame. and you always should plan for such a crop when framing and composing. An 11x14 is nearly square. If these crops are right out of the camera you would be hard pressed to get decent crops at 5x7, which is a much kinder cut.

All in all I'd say you have done a really good job to be only your second shoot of this type. It appears that you have a good eye for composition, and it always helps with attractive subjects. Good luck with the Sr photos. I bet you do more than you think you will!!!

Thanks for sharing :D
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    I think that Jeff covered most everything. The one addition is the facial highlight in photo 1 being a little to hot. I like the "look back" pose with the exception of the right arm positioning. I would like to see this same look but with her maybe out in front of her so that she could more comfortably lean back on the right hand if that makes any sense.

Overall, though, these are great for a second time shooter. I'd be thrilled to have any of mine come out that good.
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Also, one imporatant thing to consider in any portrait is finished print size. For example an 8x10 crop is a pretty deep cut on a 2:3 aspect frame. and you always should plan for such a crop when framing and composing. An 11x14 is nearly square. If these crops are right out of the camera you would be hard pressed to get decent crops at 5x7, which is a much kinder cut.
    Could you elaborate on this a bit? I shoot sports, but find myself cropping like crazy and wondering how the prints will work out. The things I'm most confused about (and interested in) are (a) how one "plans for" an 8 x 10 crop (that's the aspect ratio I use most often) and (b) your last sentence -- my line of reasoning would be that if this is right out of the camera as a large MB image, downsizing to 5x7 (or 7x5) should be pretty simple???
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Cropping for Image size...
    (-- my line of reasoning would be that if this is right out of the camera as a large MB image, downsizing to 5x7 (or 7x5) should be pretty simple???)

Large file size really doesn't have anything to do with cropping for aspect ratio, other than it allows you to have enough data to do it. If you don't leave enough room for cropping, you may find that in order to get the "aspect ratio correct, (ex,; 5X7) you will have to cut off part of the picture sometimes...and it ruins the shot. In most cases you will want to push in, focus, and then pull back for a little extra room around the edges, if you have time.

It's really easy to get rid of excess background with the cropping tool. Another benefit of excess background is that it allows you to move the subject within the crop, changing the perspective. Suppose you put your subject right in the middle of your shot...targeting. If you have plenty of excess background, then you can crop the shot so that the subject in one of the thirds of the photo making your shot more interesting.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Could you elaborate on this a bit? I shoot sports, but find myself cropping like crazy and wondering how the prints will work out. The things I'm most confused about (and interested in) are (a) how one "plans for" an 8 x 10 crop (that's the aspect ratio I use most often) and (b) your last sentence -- my line of reasoning would be that if this is right out of the camera as a large MB image, downsizing to 5x7 (or 7x5) should be pretty simple???
    Ed911(-- my line of reasoning would be that if this is right out of the camera as a large MB image, downsizing to 5x7 (or 7x5) should be pretty simple???)

Large file size really doesn't have anything to do with cropping for aspect ratio, other than it allows you to have enough data to do it. If you don't leave enough room for cropping, you may find that in order to get the "aspect ratio correct, (ex,; 5X7) you will have to cut off part of the picture sometimes...and it ruins the shot. In most cases you will want to push in, focus, and then pull back for a little extra room around the edges, if you have time.

It's really easy to get rid of excess background with the cropping tool. Another benefit of excess background is that it allows you to move the subject within the crop, changing the perspective. Suppose you put your subject right in the middle of your shot...targeting. If you have plenty of excess background, then you can crop the shot so that the subject in one of the thirds of the photo making your shot more interesting.Feb-19-2008 06:11 PMKEDQuote:

KED is right. I meant nothing about resolution or file size. I meant that if you compose a photo in that native 4x6 aspect and let your subject run to the edges then if they want to print a 5x7 your composition will get amputated. Even worse for 8x10, and 11x14....well it would be a massacre!!!

I have had to train myself to plan ahead for such crops by leaving plenty room on the long ends of my compositions. I still flub it up now and then. Best thing is to replace the focus screen to one which has a grid for such crops. (Yes, there is such a thing.)

Hope that clears it up!!
  • muyguapomuyguapo Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Great shots all around.
    edited February 23, 2008
    Thank you all for the replies, really--Dgrinners are the best by far. Also, thank you Jeff for your in-depth critique and suggestions. learning from more experienced photographers is how I grow and I always pay attention to everything people say. Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts into my photos!

They are a bit cropped from the camera, although not much. to tell you the truth I hadn't even thought about that since I'm not used to it. When shooting anything else (almost) I can get away with awkward or non-standard crops, yet that won't fly when prints will need to be a certain size. I suppose I'll leave enough room around the subject (even though i'll be fighting against my instinct) for print.

Thanks Richard, Ked, Travis, Ed and muyguapo also for taking the time to comment!

Izzy
  • photoshowphotoshow Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Really nice work, especially for only your second shoot. How I wish I had such a handle on lighting at that point in my career.

I do agree that the pose in image #1 is somewhat awkward and you could have definitely used more light under the brim of th hat. Using either a reflector to bounce the light under the brim or simply changing the angel of incidence of the key light would have filled in the heavy shadow very nicely.

Again though I think the work is better then good, especially given your lack of experience shooting these subjects.
    Bobby Deal - Commercial Photography * Vegas Vision Studios The Pro's choice for studio rental in Las Vegas
    Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops For the Discerning Taste
    "The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"