Options

Self portraits — your thoughts on technique and mindset

bigsnowdogbigsnowdog Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited February 19, 2008 in Technique
I am wondering what thoughts you have to share on self-portraits. Do you learn from doing them, what methods have you found useful? Do you put your mind in a particular place to best achieve your self-portraits?

Do you like color or black and white best?

I have never liked photos of myself and wonder if I could learn something about photography and me if I had this private experience.

Discuss, please.

Comments

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    I think that a self portrait should reflect in every way yourself. A self-portrait should not just look interesting or unique. It should, as the name implies, really portray who you are as a photographer.

For example, my self portrait is to the left in my little picture. I chose black & white because black & white photography is my true passion. I posed with my two favorite cameras I have ever owned (Hasselblad & Oly DSLR) because I feel I have done my best work with them and they have been instrumental tools that have aided my progression as a photographer. I chose a single harsh yet gentle light because it draws attention to the light - and I feel light is my inspiration. Then I chose to dress professionally for my picture because I usually like to present myself in a professional manner. So, for me, all pieces of my self-portrait were deliberate and represented me in every way.

So the key then, in my opinion, is to decide what pieces of you should be represented in the image. Then, find a way to present them that are representative of you.
  • Options
    bigsnowdogbigsnowdog Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Should the self portrait represent you as a photographer, or you as a person? Not asked to be smart, just asked in earnest.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    bigsnowdog wrote:
    Should the self portrait represent you as a photographer, or you as a person? Not asked to be smart, just asked in earnest.

Good question. I could make an argument for either/or, or both/and. Whatever you think!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    bigsnowdog wrote:

Yes

Sam
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Even tho it may be hard to get a single self -portrait to show the real you and the real you as a photog.....it should be tried to accomplish....even if it means 2 separate portraits.........I think it would be really hard for ......let's say somone like.........Baldy to do a single self portrait of himself and get all aspects of his self in one photo.....You have Baldy, the Business man, Baldy the Tri-Athelete, Baldy the Husband /Father, and Baldy from the comics.......

So the real question is..............Whom do you want others to know and percieve from your self-portrait??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Whom do you want others to know and percieve from your self-portrait??

Wonderful thought.