Self portrait concept photo...

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited February 24, 2008 in People
The 1st image was created while I was playing around this weekend and seeing that I didn't have anyone readily available to model, I decided to try out an image concept on myself.

The 2nd photo is from a grunge-style, off-camera, hard light flash experiment that I did a couple of week's ago.

Believe it or not, I seriously hate being in front of the camera. :huh With a mug like this, vanity is not an issue. :rofl C&C welcomed.....

Frames
256219248_bW89W-M-2.jpg

Grunge Experiment
250646271_87USn-M-2.jpg

Comments

• JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Very cool Travis, I like them both. First is very clever, which keeps me staring at it.

On the second, I think I'm not completely sure exactly what grunge is. I know it's a music scene. Anyway, I like what you did, but you don't seem to look like what I think of when I think grunge type, even with the noise etc.

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Travis, that first shot is great. I don't care for the crop through your arms in the first image. It would be better balanced for me if you could crop below your arms.

The second shot would make a great senior portrait.mwink.gif
  • OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    JimW wrote:
    Very cool Travis, I like them both. First is very clever, which keeps me staring at it.

On the second, I think I'm not completely sure exactly what grunge is. I know it's a music scene. Anyway, I like what you did, but you don't seem to look like what I think of when I think grunge type, even with the noise etc.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Honestly, I'm not sure what the real definition of grunge is but I couldn't think of anything that fit it better. :D Maybe I should go with dirty, noisy picture. rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 19, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Travis, that first shot is great. I don't care for the crop through your arms in the first image. It would be better balanced for me if you could crop below your arms.

The second shot would make a great senior portrait.mwink.gif

Thanks Mitchell! I agree with the crop on the main photo. The problem is that it was a natural crop so I didn't have the rest of the arm to work with. At the least, I removed the thumb the was sticking up by itself! :D I need to borrow your son to help out - setting the lights and timer and then running around to get into position is too much work. rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 19, 2008
    Hyperbaric wrote:
    Love the 1st shot, great concept. thumb.gif

Thanks Hyper!
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    I love both of these shots.

The first one is very clever with great composition. my eyes keep flowing into the smaller frames

The second picture works very well for a tough working guy look. Very manly lookingthumb.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    That is great
    weldone clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    I like the second one better than the first. That should come as no surprise to those of you who have come to know me here.

I think a few adjustments in the second would help it.

1st- I keep looking at the....contrail?....that is in the sky and just to the left of the antenna. Id get rid of that.

2nd- douse the highlights on the truck bumper and grille area. They are causing the truck to compete for eye time.

3rd- play around with some global desaturation. Most grungy looking stuff I have seen are desaturated to a degree. I think this in itself would help to pull off the look you are trying to achieve.
    edited February 20, 2008
    Dadwtwins, Awaib, Jeff.. thanks for the comments.

Jeff, I think the contrail that you are referring isn't actually a contrail at all but part of the pattern used for the overlay. You are right, though - it is somewhat distracting. I don't know why I didn't pay it much attention before. I appreciate the input.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Dadwtwins, Awaib, Jeff.. thanks for the comments.

Jeff, I think the contrail that you are referring isn't actually a contrail at all but part of the pattern used for the overlay. You are right, though - it is somewhat distracting. I don't know why I didn't pay it much attention before. I appreciate the input.

Shucks,

I thought maybe it was that missle test that has been all over the news!!

rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 20, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Shucks,

I thought maybe it was that missle test that has been all over the news!!

rolleyes1.gif

I was day early... :D
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    I like the second one. I can see Ford taking that idea for a campaign and running with it.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    awesome ideas... I had to take a few self portraits last month because I realized I don't have any good pictures of myself. You just made me rethink my approach to this... mucho gracias bowdown.gif
    edited February 21, 2008
    Thanks for the input Evory and Grid. As I said in the initial post, these were more to test the concept than getting them perfect. With the the positive input from so many great photographers on this board, I'll be adding these approaches to my client offerings.
  • Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Travis, I really like the first shot. I've been thinking of doing something like that and your image looks better than the one in my mind! needless to say, you gave a great idea . . .
  • tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    way stinkin cool

the first one trips me out! (in a good way... I think lol)
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    great shots! very creative.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP