Wind can do crazy things.

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited March 25, 2005 in Sports
Me and a friend went Splitboarding today and the wind was insane. This is actually with a lower wind than what we got hit by. It was just crazy probably gusting 80mph while we were at the ridge. Its only abou 50+mph where this shot is. And those shrubs normally point up.

Comments

• ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    Chapstick time:D
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    :jawdrop & i went on a motorbike ride for a few hundred miles today in jeans & a tee shirt. Man that looks so cold !!
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    I really like this shot. Compositionally, I only wish the frame were moved a little more to the right, but that can be fixed with cropping. Totally captured the moment. Nice job!:D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Me and a friend went Splitboarding today and the wind was insane.

That is one great shot. Reminds me of:

P1240016.sized.jpg

Wasn't windy around the hut, but the warmest it got all day was -5F at the trailhead -- it was about -12F when that shot was taken. He'd just come off the summit where it was -24F with 40mph winds.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    Hang in there Dude, rescue crew with St. Bernard is on the way rolleyes1.gifrofl

Great Shot, really captured the feel of colllllllllllllllddddddddddddddd thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    Prez, that's very interesting. Do you have any more shots of that weather?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    Yup heres a bunch :)

attempt7.jpg

attempt6.jpg

attempt8.jpg

attempt2.jpg

attempt4.jpg

attempt9.jpg

attempt1.jpg
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    Ah. Splitboarding. Now I get it. I'm a bit slow on the uptake!

Nice shots in tough conditions! thumb.gif
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2005
    cool pictures. . . freezing cold rather

what equipment do you use in those conditions and how do you shoot, gloves dont usually give me a very good feel with my camera.
    edited March 24, 2005
    I shot them with my Fuji F700 no filters and i used gloves for a few shots but most were bare handed. muchos coldos.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2005
    it suck shooting bare-handed in weather like that, but i have a valuable tip! when my mom came back from italy she brought home leather driving gloves for me. i rarely use them for driving, but they've really come in handy for taking pictures in the cold because they create a layer between your skin and the cold air, plus they're thin enough to not get in the way. i'd imagine baseball batting gloves would also do the trick and probably be less expensive.

reminds me of the dumb and dumber line:
    "you had two pair of gloves this entire time?!"
    edited March 25, 2005
    heh ya that is a good idea. Problem is in cold like we had it was probably below freezing with the windchill and fingers are just plum frozen. It is best to have mittens because the space between your fingers allows for warm and your hands will stay warmer. My freind had mittens and he was gracious enough to swap gloves with me every half hour or so and let my fingers come back into existence. And in that cold theres no way im taking the time to stop and swap gloves out for a smaller pair to take the pic and put the regular back on. It was quick in and out of the glove.

I have found that after being frozen to the core for hours on end taking your hand out of your glove doesnt hurt as much umph.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 25, 2005
    Terrific shots but I don't get the "split boarding" reference. What am I missing?

I'm surprised anyone who ventures out in weather like that isn't intimately familiar with: http://www.preparedness.com/inreushanbod.html
    edited March 25, 2005
    Ohhh ya we wish we had some of those Angelo, turns out he took them out of his pack earlier in the week umph.gif

A splitboard is a snowboard that you can split into skis whenever you want. So you ski in and hook it together and snowboard down.

Heres my splitboard.
    65acfc4990aeb89b982985641473df51.jpg549cd16a720154c62e6755d3ae6f270f.jpg