Options

Shooting Manual

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited February 20, 2008 in Technique
I have been in the habit of shooting in the AV mode. Howevr, I am wanting to learn the Manual mode but I find the shutter speeds somewhat confusing. Which way do I go with the shutter speed for under exposure/over exposure If I have a shutter speed at say 200 which way would I go for under exposure.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    (slower shutter speed will add exposure)
    { faster shutter speeds will decrrease exposure}

For manual mode the f-stop must (should) be constant for what you're asking to work ...to answer your question.....let's say your perfect exposure is f 8.0 and shutter of 200...you want to over expose then lower the shutter to 100

To answer a question you haven't asked but may be in your mind along the same lines: Perfect exposure is F8.0 /w shutter of 200......to under expose decrease in coming light (make the Fnumber larger, this makes for a smaller hole in the aperture and allows less light in)....so to over expose make the f-number smaller and the aperture hole gets larger and lets in more light....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Perfect exposure is F8.0 /w shutter of 200......to under expose decrease in coming light (make the Fnumber larger, this makes for a smaller hole in the aperture and allows less light in)....so to over expose make the f-number smaller and the aperture hole gets larger and lets in more light....
    Please understand that the perfect exposure Scott references above is just an example, a "for instance". The aperture/SS/ISO combination will, of course, change from one scene to another.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    Please understand that the perfect exposure Scott references above is just an example, a "for instance". The aperture/SS/ISO combination will, of course, change from one scene to another.

Thanks to you both as that is most helpful and you have given me a foundation of knowledge to start on.

Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    You can also under or over expose in Av mode on Canon bodies fairly easy. I am assuming a Canon body due to your name. I am not familiar with the rebel series of bodies. Maybe another can tell you exactly. I am used to the 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D series.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    I have been in the habit of shooting in the AV mode. Howevr, I am wanting to learn the Manual mode but I find the shutter speeds somewhat confusing. Which way do I go with the shutter speed for under exposure/over exposure If I have a shutter speed at say 200 which way would I go for under exposure.
    Regards
    Bob

I have a series of slides that I use with my students that I'd be happy to share. If you are interested send me a PM.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    bham wrote:
    You can also under or over expose in Av mode on Canon bodies fairly easy. I am assuming a Canon body due to your name. I am not familiar with the rebel series of bodies. Maybe another can tell you exactly. I am used to the 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D series.

Yes you are quite right. I have been using the AV mode with my 400d and 40D. Do you think you get better results with Manual mode or should I just stick with AV.
    Thanks
    Bob
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    Pittspilot wrote:
    I have a series of slides that I use with my students that I'd be happy to share. If you are interested send me a PM.

Cheers

Graham

Thanks Graham for your kind help I have sent you a PM message.
    Bob
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Yes you are quite right. I have been using the AV mode with my 400d and 40D. Do you think you get better results with Manual mode or should I just stick with AV.
    Thanks
    Bob

I think the Av is going to be simplier if you are not on a tripod or shooting the same scene over and over. Because everytime you change the zoom, move the lens to left or right, etc the scene will meter differently. Setting the +/- up 1 will therefore always read the scene then consistently overexpose, where as in manual you will have to dial in the setting again. You will be able to take shots quicker, less messing with dials. Depending on what you are shooting this could be important.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me