Is it possible to assign a gallery to more than one category/sub-category

akira3dakira3d Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
edited March 25, 2008 in SmugMug Support
In some cases, I have galleries that I'd like to have appear within multiple categories, sometimes within differing subcategories. Is it at all possible to do this?

For example, I take a trip somewhere for a relative's birthday party. I want the gallery to show up in my travel galleries since the party is located out of the country and may include photographs that are not necessarily specific to the party, but to the location. It would also make a lot of sense to have this gallery included within a category for family. And since I have a category specific to parties, I'd like to include it in a subcategory for birthdays that appears within it.

If this isn't possible, can we make virtual copies of such galleries so each copy can be associated with a different category and subcategory.

And if that isn't possible, would it be possible to assign a ShareGroup to a category and sub category?

I am still trying to figure out how to best organize my photos...and, though I am new to SmugMug, I have plenty of reasons to tackle this issue sooner than later. I have already uploaded dozens of galleries and will be uploading many more over the next few weeks (thanks ImageStation!)

While I'm on the subject of categories and sub-categories, is there any way to organize the order of galleries within a sub-category so that users always see them sorted a particular way (perhaps by name rather than date of last update)?
akira3D
Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, EF 16-35mm F2.8/L, EF 70-200mm F2.8/L IS....

akira3d.com

Comments

• Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Unfortunetly it isn't possible to have a gallery appear under multiple catagories/sub-catagories. There however are a few work arounds.
    1. Using the photo tools drop down menu for each photo, you can copy the photo, and then move the copied photo to another gallery.
    2. Re-upload the photos in that gallery to a second gallery under a different catagory (since Smugmug offers unlimited space, uploading duplicates of the same photos to multiple galleries won't impact your available space with Smugmug.
    3. Add keywords to your photos and then enable keywords on your Smugmug homepage. Then when someone clicks the keyword for a location they will see all the photos tagged with the keyword of that location Same applies to a keyword for Vacations.
    I hope this helps. If you need any further help, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards
    Trevor
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • akira3dakira3d Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    Thanks for the quick reply.

The copy and move techinque is fine when dealing with a few photographs (is there any way to do this without making smugmug flag your gallery as updated?), but if we're talking 100 photo galleries it is going to get a bit unwieldy.

Uploading the album multiple times is a pain since my cable service doesn't have the best upload speed and sometimes fails.

I've thought about tagging photos with keywords...but none of my photos have such tags and I don't want to delay any further getting some of my older photos back online (I've already invested a ton of time converting my old ImageStation captions and renaming files...and still have a long way to go). I was really hoping to find a quick and simple solution that didn't require additional work before I upload photos.
    akira3D

akira3d.com
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited February 19, 2008
    akira3d wrote:
    In some cases, I have galleries that I'd like to have appear within multiple categories, sometimes within differing subcategories. Is it at all possible to do this?
    You might want to take a look at this gallery & keywords redirects thread posted by PBolchover - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47386&highlight=virtual+galleries. It looks like it does what you are looking for.

--- Denise
  • akira3dakira3d Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Gallery redirection is a neat idea that I will definitely consider, but I'm kinda hoping for a more integrated and automated solution. Thanks.
    akira3D

akira3d.com
  • shrekieshrekie Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    akira3d wrote:
    Gallery redirection is a neat idea that I will definitely consider, but I'm kinda hoping for a more integrated and automated solution. Thanks.

I was thinking of doing the same thing and I came across this app which I have just downloaded but haven't tried yet. Thought you might be interested...

http://www.liggitt.net/smugtools/copier/