Behind the Scenes - Grand Finale

2»

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Neil...you really need to get off that cone and get in some shooting practice. I wanna see some images that match all your brilliant advice in LPS2! mwink.gif

haha!! Yes, of course!! During my last summer vacation when I last visited China I climbed 2 thousand meter mountains in half a day with the teenage children of friends. The feeling of learning the *practice* of photography, in its present state of the art, is comparable - full of breathlessness, sweat, aching muscles (mental) and crises of self doubt.

And pitiless, brilliant, shameless stars like yourself keep shifting the peak higher and higher!! :twitch

Fortunately for me, you are also very generous with your ideas and help! thumb.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    pemmett wrote:
    Emily, my 2 centavos are:
    • I loved your image and studied it for quite a while. I looked at it at various sizes to see more detail, especially of the building behind the "crack".
    • The concept was brilliant and I am really jealous about people who have your creativitybowdown.gif
    • Unfortunately, because of the concept and the quality, I immediately compared your image to all the Hollywood movies I had ever seen with the "space warp thing", e.g. the Matrix.
    • Because of my instant comparison mode I started to see some minor flaws in the time warp crack, etc
    I don't know about anybody else but I wanted to share with you what went on in my thought process and that subconsciously it seems that the concept of the image set a very high level to be compared against.

I am now thinking about this more and wondering if, due to Hollywood movies, that the more obvious an image is photoshopped the higher the standard the image must be to surpass people's expectations?
    Right on! Well put. And I really liked the shot too. It held me for some time. Thanks for providing the back 'behind-the-scenes' contribution GreenSquared.
    liquidair wrote:
    Ok, here we go. I don't have a lot of setup shots for this one, so I'll open with some of the back story.
    Fantastic photo illustration. I'm very impressed by your attention to detail. The lighting is VERY well done and your PS skills are highly evident.

Thanks a lot for the backstory. You really had me wondering...

thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    xris wrote:
    I'm very impressed by your attention to detail. The lighting is VERY well done and your PS skills are highly evident.

I totally agree! The lighting was right on for a composite. I know you went to a LOT of trouble for the costume so I hate to say this, but I think the red velvet in the image threw me...just didn't feel "period" enough. (and to be sure, that can be said about my own concept execution, lol)

But your I knew I couldn't do the studio/location combo nearly as well as you managed to, so for that, you get major kudos for pushing yourself and thinking outside the box.thumb.gif

I also wanted to add, that your model did an AMAZING job at playing the part. There is a lot more to a conceptual image than just putting on the costume. Emoting and posing for scene like yours is essentially acting, and as a director, it speaks to your talent as well.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I totally agree! The lighting was right on for a composite. I know you went to a LOT of trouble for the costume so I hate to say this, but I think the red velvet in the image threw me

Thanks for the comments! I was going for a Scarlett O'Hara look, and she was definitely a red velvet kinda gal...but I obviously didn't get that connection through clearly enough. I have no regrets...I plan a second shooting with the dress and model as I think I can get some great stand alone images there.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Emily your work has progressed so far since your first challenge. It's been fun watching how far you can jump!!! You did an amazing job and I was just blown away that you even attempted this scene. bowdown.gif You definitely have the gift of creativity and I predict you will be an even stronger contender in this next LPS round. thumb.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Cmurph, this shot is suweet!!! iloveyou.gif I was disappointed when you changed the title, as I had the best laugh when I first saw "All Systems Go". But I doubt it had any effect on the voting. Perfect conditions, I think you nailed it.
    edited February 22, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Emily your work has progressed so far since your first challenge. It's been fun watching how far you can jump!!! You did an amazing job and I was just blown away that you even attempted this scene. bowdown.gif You definitely have the gift of creativity and I predict you will be an even stronger contender in this next LPS round. thumb.gif

Thank you so much! All of your remarks mean more than I can express.iloveyou.gif
    Emily

• seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Emily, wow you went all out on this! And I just wanted to add that your entry of your child in the vegetable garden, one of your first in LPS, remains one of my very favorite images from the entire year :))
    edited February 22, 2008
    seastack wrote:
    Emily, wow you went all out on this! And I just wanted to add that your entry of your child in the vegetable garden, one of your first in LPS, remains one of my very favorite images from the entire year :))

Thanks!!! I did email it in for the Photo of The Year, but it apparently got lost in cyberspace.ne_nau.gif
    Emily

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    seastack wrote:

Same here! Shoot, that one should've been entered in the photo of the year contest!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Tom
    Beautifully done! I too am a sucker for the long exposure and that area is a place to visit for certain. You did a wonderful job and like the pp as well....really a sweet image...a true wall hanger!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    seastack wrote:

Mine too!!!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • WacrerWacrer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Among them were a couple park rangers who informed me that taking pictures of a fish bowl apparently requries a permit.

clap.gif Great Story. Great Image, insperational imagination!!
    Full Circle Photography, Inc.

Scott McPherson

www.fortecinema.com