My LPS Finale Experience (behind the scenes)

BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
edited February 21, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
The past several months (since August 2007) have been tough on our family. My wife has been fighting breast cancer (full recovery expected) and I've mainly been playing Mr. Mom to our three kids. Not much time for photography.

Last year when I made it into the top ten for SF1 I put the finale dates in my PDA. I had many ideas for places to go shoot, all requiring multiple days of travel away from home. Little did I know at the time what we would be doing in January and early February this year, which would make it impossible for my to travel to those locations.

My wife had surgery in mid January in California so I was left home alone with the kids for four weeks. The last week of the four weeks was the first week of finale shooting. School and the lack of additional adult supervision made it extremely difficult to get out and shoot anything that first week. Luckily my wife returned home late Friday night as the first week was coming to a close.

Since I had to stay local (my wife is still in recovery stage from surgery), I had to find something to shoot within an hour or so of home. Being relatively new to the area, I was coming up blank. I knew the competition would be extremely tough so I had to find something with that wow factor. To do so, I looked at a lot of photos online, got some ideas but very little inspiration. So the best thing to do was go out shooting to a different location at 4am every other day (Sat, Mon, Wed, Sat)--on weekdays I had to be home by 8am to take the kids to school. I got in a few night shoots as well, but my locations of choice were much more crowded at night than at 5am. :rolleyes

I captured hundreds of photographs and narrowed it down to a little under two dozen images as possible entries. It was very difficult choosing the one to enter. I have posted a gallery of all of my choices here.

Now that the finale entry period is over, I'm sure you all agree with me that the images entered are incredible. I congratulate everyone for the work they put into LPS and the results definitely show it. Going into this, I knew that my chance at winning the finale was extremely slim, however I just wanted to say that if it wasn't for the LPS finale, I wouldn't have a bunch of new cool photos that I'm extremely pleased with. :thumb
Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Touching story Bill and I wish the best for your wife and family. Hopefully there will be a speedy and full recovery. It really kind of makes the petty bickering on the LPS board seem trivial compared to the positive outlet it gives to those that need a supporting community and a little distraction. Thank you for sharing your story and best of luck in the finals. This has proven to be a great group of people always willing to help so if your family needs anything, don't hesitate to ask.
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Wow, Bill. I sure hope things continue to look up for your family. With everything going on in your life you sure managed to capture a beautiful image for the finals! My husband loves yours! (But I alread told you that in a PM!)
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Hi Bill...what a touching story. My mom is a breast cancer survivor, so I know how difficult it can be watching a loved one go through treatment. Stay strong and my prayers are there for your wife, you and your family.

Your image is great, btw! Great comp & light. A really nice feel!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Hi Bill,

Checked out the gallery, those are some great photos. Wife healing, 3 kids, and you still managed to get up and out at 4 am! I solute you...I WANT to get up early and do that, but so far it hasn't happened.

Isn't it great driving around town early thought? This whole place sleeps until about 10am. rolleyes1.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Good Bless you and your family. Praying for all of you.

Thanks for sharing your touching story along with you wonderful photos.

Peace,gail
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Bill, you came up with some great shots! I really like your entry. I had not realized you were no longer in OC. I'm happy to hear your wife is on the road to recovery (and what a long road that is!). I just found out recently that my best friend has stage IIIB aggresive breast cancer and it has knocked the wind out of my sails, but I'm hopeful she, too, will make it down the long road of treatment and eventual surgery and recovery. Keep the faith and I will add your family to my prayers. thumb.gif
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Thanks so much for the great comments everyone! Even though I wasn't able to get to the locations I had originally planned many months ago, the finale gave me a reason to get out and shoot, something I have done very little of lately and for that I'm very grateful.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug