Can anyone confirm that Canon is coming out with a replacement for the 5d soon?

BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
edited February 22, 2008 in Cameras
Everyone is speculating that there will be a replacement for the 5d, but just wondering if someone has any more accurate information if this is coming out fairly soon. I know at some point they will replace it. I am looking into getting a 5d, but would hate to buy one if they come out with a replacement that is cheaper or around the same price and is a much better camera...

If anyone has any idea it would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance.
Brandon Perron Photography
www.brandonperron.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    I have heard things from authoritative sources (the local Canon rep) that have turned out to be wrong. My guess is that Canon realizes that it is critical to get the new 5D right and they make a last minute decision to hold it back and change a few things. What I was told last November is that the new 5D would be a full frame 40D; my guess is that the delay is to turn it into something more.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    I would have sworn that the 5D, the oldest camera in Canon's current line up, would be replaced at this PMA 2/08. The Rebel and the 40D series is replaced at 18 month intervals but the other bodies are upgraded less frequently and with less regularity.

I think the earliest would be in August as Canon tends to release new products in Feb/Aug. I'm not sure of any body due for replacement, so it may be in August. Then again, they may not release any new body that time as well, which would be unusual though.
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    In a nutshell: No.
    edited February 21, 2008
    What's amazing about the 5D is that, despite its age, it still looks like such a good camera in today's market place. While the feature set is a bit slim by today's standards, IMO its still got the best image quality of any body under $4000. As such, there isn't a lot of pressure on Canon to release a 5DII.

My bet is that the next body we'll see from Canon (probably in August) will be full frame 3D akin to the old EOS-3, have a lot of pro features and be priced around $3500 to undercut the Nikon D3 in the wedding/PJ space. My guess is that they had a full frame version of the 40D nearly ready to go for February, and then decided to delay its release and upgrade it in response to the Nikon announcement.

My personal (rather cloudy) crystal ball says that if you want a full frame digital body under $3000 in the next year, the current 5D will be your only choice.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited February 21, 2008
    All the rumors of all that is Canon, in one spot.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/rumours.html

And yes, Canon will update soon. If you think August 2008 is "soon."
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    All the rumors of all that is Canon, in one spot.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/rumours.html

August is soon enough...looks like it is going to be alot more fo a camera and thus more expensive, so looks like I will stick with a 5d and hope that it drives the prices down on the 5d...cause I am just wanting a 5d for landscape and tripod shots...Thanks.
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:

That would be my best guess, just in time for Photokina 2008.

Start saving now. deal.gif
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    I think Canon is smarting from the release of the D3 big time. It largely took the wind out of the 1Ds mkIII's sails and the 1D mkIII is still getting over being Beleaguered Camera of the Year. The performances of the 1D cameras and the 40D with respect to noise at higher ISOs (among other traits) shows that they didn't see the strengths of the D3/D300 coming, or that Nikon would make such strides. I'm glad Canon didn't announce a 5D mkII yet because I'm hoping they realize they need to lead again and will take their time. I think they got a bit complacent this year and can't afford not to blow people (and Nikon) away. Make no mistake—I'm not criticizing the 1D/Ds or 40D for being bad cameras; they're great cameras, but last year's Nikon introductions simply impressed me much more.

Nikon still has no sub-$5000 camera that's FF, but I think that'll change soon. With the new Sony sensor, too, Canon's FF releases need to be better thought out from now on. I'm glad some to see some competition.
    edited February 22, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    Nikon still has no sub-$5000 camera that's FF, but I think that'll change soon. With the new Sony sensor, too, Canon's FF releases need to be better thought out from now on. I'm glad some to see some competition.

Actually, I am not so sure about that. My understanding is that one of the primary motivations for CMOS sensors is that they have higher yeilds and are cheaper to manufacture than CCDs. Big CCDs have been around for quite a while but they haven't appeared in DSLRs because of the price and going forward it is not at all clear to me that Sony/Nikon will be able to compete with Canon on price with their current sensor design. In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if Nikon is currently selling the D3 as at a loss with the theory that having the sexiest flagship camera will increase sales of the D300. If that is true, then the D3 will continue to be in short supply for the forseeable future and Nikon will make a profit on every D300 it sells to someone on the D3 waiting list.

Food for thought: Canon as sold TS-E lenses for a long time and lost money on them. The theory is that making those lenses available sells bodies even if people don't every buy the lens. Nikon has just announce their own line of TS-E lenses which indicates to me that Nikon is learning from Canon's marketing playbook. I continue to wonder if the D3 is another version of that same gambit strategy.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Interesting. Well, Nikon is no stranger to having their kit in short supply.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    As a professional marketer, I agree with LiquidAir's comment.
    That is no urgency to put the 5D replacement into the market yet. I am not sure whether Canon have already finished the development or still holding on to see the competition situation. The company has most of the latest technology, it just need to pull some component from the shelve and make the new model in a month or two.

Since there are no direct competition at that sub-5K FF segment, I think it would be better off to let the product sell by itself first and put more effort in the highly competitive consumer range such as 450D. It may be better to get a younger brother 200D to bring the entry price point then sell more lens.

Honestly, the 5D segment is shrinking. Look at the 1D Mark III which is 1.3 X 10.1 M, the 450D getting 12.2 M and the 40D is 10.1 M. Any move of 5D will be overlapping either new model more.

For product positioning, the 1Ds is for all rounded pro, 1D MkIII seems for prof sport, 40D for mid-range/pro sport, 5D dedicated for landscape/portrait and the 450D is for multi-purpose. Since the specification are moving up, it need something low to fill the real entry level.

Furthermove, the cost of producting the big (FF) CMOS sensor is much more expensive than the smaller one. To add new features, such as increase the pixal to ? 16 MP, faster frame rate to 6 fps, increase the size to ? 1D, will make the sexy 5D break the US 5K ceiling.

I really want the company to hold the 5D replacement for another year or 2 so that I have sufficient excuse to renew my 1 year old 5D. This is year is too early for me to upgrade.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/