Group with 2 flashes

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited February 22, 2008 in People
256471951_Yx25i-M.jpg
I think that I should have switched off the torch in the background, on the shelve.
The flashes are rather harsh while I'm not getting my soft box and start using my humbrella ...:D

The flashes were shot with the ST-E2, the one just behind me was the 430 and the other, the 580.

I love this effect:lust
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• mmtorunommtoruno Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    The flashes are rather harsh while I'm not getting my soft box and start using my humbrella ...:D

I think you would really love the Gary Fong Whaletail. Its fantastic IMOH!

Here is the link:
    http://store.garyfonginc.com/whaletail.html
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 21, 2008
    I think that I should have switched off the torch in the background, on the shelve.
    nod.gif

Why is the shadow so strong on the second guy from the right? headscratch.gif
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    mmtoruno wrote:
    I think you would really love the Gary Fong Whale tail. Its fantastic IMOH!

Here is the link:
    http://store.garyfonginc.com/whaletail.html

Thank you for the comment. :D
    I am going to buy a flash bracket and this soft box from Lastolite.thumb.gif
    It is small and very easy to use attached to the FB.
    :Dthumb.gif
    edited February 21, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    nod.gif

Why is the shadow so strong on the second guy from the right? headscratch.gif

Hello Richard.
    I think the strong shadow is because the guy on the extreme right made shadow on him. I guess. mwink.gif

Thanks for the comment.thumb.gif
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Antonio,
    I'm so happy to see your experiments. Keep working on it so you can find what you like with your lighting. I discovered I prefer 2 stops from the light side to the dark side of a subject - I really like the contrast. When I have 0 stops, I get bored looking at my pictures.

I personally prefer to have one light up front and one light on the background to pull some seperation. Sometimes I'll use a reflector to fill in a little on the opposite side of my subject from the main flash or just add another flash at 1/16 to give just a little definition. For my fill flashes, I just buy cheap flashes and use optical triggers.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
    edited February 21, 2008
    Hello Mike. :D
    Thank you for the comment.bowdown.gif
    Sometimes we are at ease with the people we are shooting at but, this time may be I was in a bit of a hurry to get them. Well, that's just a bad excuse ...mwink.gif

The more you arrive with equipment the more responsability you have to shoot good pictures.

Look at this portrait here: I know I should have used another flash to illuminate the right side of his face. But I have not done it because we can't say to the person - or we can't keep saying: hold on, just a little more, wait - to wait longer.

The others were waiting just looking and laughing at him. Why ? ne_nau.gif
    Well, I think I will use a soft box with success when I got one.
    256472155_Nx2mh-L.jpg
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 21, 2008
    The shadowed left side of his face ( on the right in the image ), could have been lightened slightly by just using a reflector of some type. White foam board or a white towel even. No need to deal with a second flash in this situation.

Or stand him next to a white wall on his left - that will act as a reflector on his left side also.

Nice capture, Antonio. A little Shadow/Highlight command might help even this out also.ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited February 22, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    The shadowed left side of his face ( on the right in the image ), could have been lightened slightly by just using a reflector of some type. White foam board or a white towel even. No need to deal with a second flash in this situation.

Or stand him next to a white wall on his left - that will act as a reflector on his left side also.

Nice capture, Antonio. A little Shadow/Highlight command might help even this out also.ne_nau.gif

:Dbowdown.gifthumb
    Yes I know. Even a towel. mwink.gif I couldn't remember at the moment.:D
    Reflector ? Oh boy. I have one. I couldn't remember either.:cry
    Where is my head ?headscratch.gif

I do have played with Shadow/Hightlight. May be I'll try again and get better results ?

Today, I am going to own Lightroom. Someone told me marvelous about it.
    Hope so.
    Thank you :D