Options

Low-light Photography and Paint Shop Pro 8

Stacey LStacey L Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
edited March 24, 2005 in Finishing School
Hello everyone::clap

There are so many tutorials for low-light photgraphy and Photoshop, but I've got paint shop pro 8 and I'm wondering if you all have could give me any help? I have many links already: www.psplinks.com and countless other. So, maybe it's just me not looking in the right place. If you could point me in the right direction that would be :thumb .
Stacey

"Be strong, courageous and get to work. Don't be frightened by the size of the task, because the Lord my God is with you; He will not forsake you. He will see to it that everything is finished correctly." 1 Chronicles 28:20

Comments

• Options
    edited March 23, 2005
    If this a stupid question, please forgive me :D. I will promise that this will be my first and last in dgrin.

I really could use some pointers.

Anyone?
    Stacey

"Be strong, courageous and get to work. Don't be frightened by the size of the task, because the Lord my God is with you; He will not forsake you. He will see to it that everything is finished correctly." 1 Chronicles 28:20
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    Sorry...
    Stacey L wrote:
    If this a stupid question, please forgive me :D. I will promise that this will be my first and last in dgrin.

I really could use some pointers.

Anyone?
    I would realy like to help you, but I don't use PSP. I tried and realized that it's no match for PS CS, so I kinda turned it down..

Hopefully you'll get some attention from PSP users..
    Don't despair!iloveyou.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I would realy like to help you, but I don't use PSP. I tried and realized that it's no match for PS CS, so I kinda turned it down..

Hopefully you'll get some attention from PSP users..
    Don't despair!iloveyou.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    Thanks, Nikolai. I'll just keep begging away until someone takes pity on my poor soulne_nau.gif
    Stacey

• Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    Chin up, stacyl. Sometimes it takes a few days for someone who knows how to answer to see your thread, so, no worries! :D If it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere after a week or two and a couple bumps, you might try something else, but otherwise fret not, as I have a feeling your answer looms closer then you believe! :):

Oh, and welcome to Dgrin!! thumb.gif
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 23, 2005
    Stacey L wrote:
    Hello everyone:clap.gif

There are so many tutorials for low-light photgraphy and Photoshop, but I've got paint shop pro 8 and I'm wondering if you all have could give me any help? I have many links already: www.psplinks.com and countless other. So, maybe it's just me not looking in the right place. If you could point me in the right direction that would be thumb.gif .

I am not sure what your questions about low light shooting are, whether in PSP or PS CS. One of the tricks of low light shooting of landscapes is to shoot several shots of exactly the same image with the camera on a tripod and then blend the images via layers - doing this will decrease the color noise inherent in long exposure night shots. This layer blending can be done in PSP or PS I think ( I don't use PSP but I have played with it years ago.)

Is this what you're asking about?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2005
    One thing though..
    Stacey L wrote:
    Thanks, Nikolai. I'll just keep begging away until someone takes pity on my poor soulne_nau.gif
    No matter what s/w you're using - "shoot for the skies"!
    Shoot with the exposure set for the birghtest point (not direct sun, though). And if you expect a high dymanic range/low light - shoot raw...
    Another thing - exposure bracket, or simply multiple shot with a tripod as a last resort..
    You can almost always "develop" the shadows in your s/w, but you can never fix the washouts..:-(

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    No matter what s/w you're using - "shoot for the skies"!
    Shoot with the exposure set for the birghtest point (not direct sun, though). And if you expect a high dymanic range/low light - shoot raw...
    Another thing - exposure bracket, or simply multiple shot with a tripod as a last resort..
    You can almost always "develop" the shadows in your s/w, but you can never fix the washouts..:-(

HTH
    Thanks for the tips. What I'm really trying to do is blend my low-light exposures using PSP 8. I've seen a few great techniques using PS or PS CS but never with PSP8. I love my camera but unfortunately my camera does not have RAW capabilities.

Thanks for whatever feedback you can give me
    Stacey