My DIY ringlight

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited May 17, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I really took my time making this and think it is well constructed. I gave it a drop test off my balcony (no strobe attached:D) and it didn't even wince!

I took two rubbermaid containers of the same height and fused then together so it's essentially one piece. Lined the inside w/ commercial tin foil and mounted it w/ spray adhesive. I also set the "inside" ring to project out about 1/2 inch further than the "face" of the flash to help cut down on lens flare. 1/8" lexan face w/ white paper mounted to the face of it w/ spray glue.

Seven coats of Krylon black later. I really like it and only have a few things I'm going to change (more cosmetic than anything).

Sorry for the crappy shots of the righlight. I didn't much care how they turned out.

256888421_Y8c3F-M.jpg

256888286_AWZqo-M.jpg

My daughter Ky who normally HATES having her picture taken. (sorry for the b/g, I didn't hesitate since she rarely smiles with glass pointed at her)
256888636_t7LRR-M.jpg

Me
256888553_mfrkT-M.jpg

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Shweeeeet
    Awesome DIY, man! thumb.gifclap.gif I'm gonna try it one day!mwink.gifdeal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Thanks Nik!
    I'm gonna try this out w/ my macro setup to see how it works. It will either look great or really boring.. Find out soon enough!
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Thats the best looking DIY ringlight I've seen and it obviously produces some nice light judging by the test shots. I did a diffusion panel/stand project this past weekend which I'll try to post this weekend.

One question... how did you fuse the containers? I'd love to see a schematic. Thanks for the post!
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Travis wrote:

One question... how did you fuse the containers? I'd love to see a schematic. Thanks for the post!

15524779-Ti.gif
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
    edited February 20, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Thats the best looking DIY ringlight I've seen and it obviously produces some nice light judging by the test shots. I did a diffusion panel/stand project this past weekend which I'll try to post this weekend.

Thanks for the compliment Trav!

I fused the containers together with a little chemical magic. Eventually I'll spec it out so I can share. The hardest part was actually cutting out the lexan so it would fit properly w/o too much gap. I ended up using a dremel and high speed carbon grinder tip.
    I hope you understand I'd rather spec the whole thing out and release it than just toss out stuff here and there. I promise I'll do it now that there's a remote interest! I will say that a dremel or high speed cutting tool is almost essential unless you want to do an excruciating amount of work.

If you have the tools and parts. You could probably do this in an afternoon minus the paint job.
  • SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Very nice work on your DIY ringflash! Will be looking forward to your instructions.
    My Photo Playground:
    www.flickr.com/photos/serrator
    edited February 20, 2008
    Thanks Serrator.

I'll be sure to post a link to them in this thread when I'm done documenting. I'm busy doing a few other projects I promised to do first though, so it'll take a little while.

I'll make sure to have a downloadable PDF for you DIY types that would like to tackle this too!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I really took my time making this and think it is well constructed. I gave it a drop test off my balcony (no strobe attached:D) and it didn't even wince!

I took two rubbermaid containers of the same height and fused then together so it's essentially one piece. Lined the inside w/ commercial tin foil and mounted it w/ spray adhesive. I also set the "inside" ring to project out about 1/2 inch further than the "face" of the flash to help cut down on lens flare. 1/8" lexan face w/ white paper mounted to the face of it w/ spray glue.

Seven coats of Krylon black later. I really like it and only have a few things I'm going to change (more cosmetic than anything).

Sorry for the crappy shots of the righlight. I didn't much care how they turned out.

My daughter Ky who normally HATES having her picture taken. (sorry for the b/g, I didn't hesitate since she rarely smiles with glass pointed at her)

Me

Hey this is way cool clap.gif :ivar

SloYerRoll this is brilliant, love the shape.
    A masterpiece of the hands even wings.gif I love you people I do I do clap.gif

This just thrills me to bits when I see people share their skills,
    not matter how small or how big they are, and it is done so freely.

Excellent Post SloYerRoll, I have booked marked it myself thumb.gif
    ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thanks for the compliment Trav!

I fused the containers together with a little chemical magic. Eventually I'll spec it out so I can share. The hardest part was actually cutting out the lexan so it would fit properly w/o too much gap. I ended up using a dremel and high speed carbon grinder tip.
    I hope you understand I'd rather spec the whole thing out and release it than just toss out stuff here and there. I promise I'll do it now that there's a remote interest! I will say that a dremel or high speed cutting tool is almost essential unless you want to do an excruciating amount of work.

If you have the tools and parts. You could probably do this in an afternoon minus the paint job.

Understand completely and looking forward to tutorial! thumb.gif
    edited February 21, 2008
    Thanks for the kind words guys n gals!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 22, 2008
    That is cool. Looking forward to the instructions.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited February 22, 2008
    Jon,
    while you're at it you may consider putting your "howto" on this site: http://www.instructables.com/, since it's kinda tuned up for this kind of things (i.e. publishing DIY instructions)
    HTH
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Understand completely and looking forward to tutorial! thumb.gif
    The Ring first seen by me here Build a ring light for less than a night out
    at Make Magazine!

Looks like you did a good job of it Jon.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited February 22, 2008
    LRmvcDonR wrote:
    at Make Magazine!

Don
    Don, that's a good one, too, thanks for the linkie!thumb.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    The ringlight is pretty cool. One of the best looking DIY ringlights I have seen. I can't wait to see the full breakdown on it.

On the other hand, that shot of your daughter is just over the top cute!!!....and sheesh does she look just like her dad or what?

:D

.....btw it looks as if the tooth fairy has been working OT under her pillow!!!

What a little heartbreaker!!
    edited February 22, 2008
    LRmvcDonR wrote:
    at Make Magazine!

Hey Don, thanks for the compliment. I hadn't seen this link before, but I plan on my next one looking pro level like that!
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The ringlight is pretty cool. ....
    .....btw it looks as if the tooth fairy has been working OT under her pillow!!!

What a little heartbreaker!!
    Thanks for the compliments Jeff! She hasn't even started loosing teeth yet. She's only 2yo! I have no idea how you can say she looks cute when she looks like merolleyes1.gif Fortunatly beauty transcends genetics..

There have been quite a few PM's in here and other places asking for details on this. So I'm going to remake the entire ringlight taking detailed notes and shots to boot. So the documentation will be nice and easy.

@Travis and anyone else that wants to know how I fused the plastics together. Please shoot me an email or comment in my blog after I've created the writeup. I'm going to make a DIY friendlier version using epoxies since the stuff I used can be pretty nasty and I don't want anyone getting more than glue on their jeans w/ mine :D

All the best,
    -Jon
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Jon,

I know you've got lots on your plate, but a tute lite for Dgrin would be awesome as well.

Thanks for sharing your ingenuity! clap.gif
    edited February 24, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Jon,

I know you've got lots on your plate, but a tute lite for Dgrin would be awesome as well.

Thanks for sharing your ingenuity! clap.gif
    It's on the list schmoo:D
    edited March 1, 2008
    More DIY Ringlights!
    Now at Make Magazine: Disposable camera ring light.

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited March 1, 2008
    Thanks for that link Don!

I'm definately trying this out. Now I just need to figure how many Ws one of those flashes are. But that's no biggie. The light would be so much more even..

I guess I'd need to know the lifespan as well, I sealed my unit since if my speedlight blows I just replace it w/ a new one..
    edited March 1, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thanks for that link Don!

I'm definately trying this out. Now I just need to figure how many Ws one of those flashes are. But that's no biggie. The light would be so much more even..

I guess I'd need to know the lifespan as well, I sealed my unit since if my speedlight blows I just replace it w/ a new one..
    On me!thumb.gif

I just love passing stuff on like this. I do it in other contexts, too, As in my Museum Exhibit work, which is where I found out about Make Magazine. Lots of fun Geeky stuff that is occassionally Camera/Photography oriented.

:D

Don
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Jon, just curious, I'd been looking forward to an updated tutorial on this as well :D
    edited May 17, 2008
    Heya NOC.

Actually. I jsut sold the last of my SB-24's and have upgraded all my strobes to SB-800's so I'll need to make one of these very soon.

Thank you for reminding me to document it. I remembered I would, but it's always is nice to get a reminder :D