Options

Backyard Wildlife

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited March 23, 2005 in Wildlife
These were taken this morning in my backyard. Checking out the Canon 2X TC with the EF 100-400.

ISO 200, 400mm, f/5.6, 1/180 w/o TC

18086180-L.jpg

...or do you prefer this crop?

18086181-M.jpg

This was taken at ISO 800, f/11, 1/180 w/2X TC (400mm x2)

18086179-M.jpg

Suggestions or Comments?
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• Options
    edited March 23, 2005
    I should have also mention that I did use a monopod and IS was on.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 23, 2005
    Beautiful Dixie thumb.gifthumb.gif

Love the color in that cardinal shot clap.gifclap.gif

Personally, I'd prefer a crop that would put the cardinal's eye in the upper right third of the frame. Your crop almost does that, but is a little tight headroom-wise, IMHO.

With nice subjects like these guys visiting you in your yard, why go anywhere else to shoot?....Laughing.gif

Thanks for sharing these Dixie,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2005
    Beautiful Dixie thumb.gifthumb.gif

Love the color in that cardinal shot clap.gifclap.gif

Personally, I'd prefer a crop that would put the cardinal's eye in the upper right third of the frame. Your crop almost does that, but is a little tight headroom-wise, IMHO.

With nice subjects like these guys visiting you in your yard, why go anywhere else to shoot?....Laughing.gif

Thanks for sharing these Dixie,
    Steve
    Thanks, Steve, next time I'll have to leave a little more room for the crop. I do agree which is why I asked.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    Dixie wrote:
    These were taken this morning in my backyard. Checking out the Canon 2X TC with the EF 100-400.

Suggestions or Comments?
    Hey Dixie,

Two good shots but the cardinal shot is marvelous. Great colors and detail on it. I almost always prefer a tight crop on my wildlife shots and I like the cropped version better here too.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Dixie,

Two good shots but the cardinal shot is marvelous. Great colors and detail on it. I almost always prefer a tight crop on my wildlife shots and I like the cropped version better here too.
    Thanks for the input, Harry.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    Tight crop, me too thumb.gif
    Nice one, Dixie
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2005
    Very nice. The color of that cardinal is stunning. Do you use selective color in PS? I know that when I want the red in my photos to pop more its the best tool for me.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    Very nice. The color of that cardinal is stunning. Do you use selective color in PS? I know that when I want the red in my photos to pop more its the best tool for me.
    Gray and overcast here so I popped both red and yellow individually using Hue and Saturation.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie