Need opinions on buying a D300

jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited February 24, 2008 in Cameras
My D50 is dying on me, so I am looking at the D300 as a replacement. I can't afford one at the moment, but I need a camera body as I have two weddings in August. They are both informal and both know I have never done a wedding. However, I want the best I can possibly give them as my name will be associated with those pictures, even though they are not expecting the quality of a seasoned wedding pro. I want time to get used to the new camera.

I can afford a D80, used d200 and used D2h. Each one has a feature I like, but misses one or more the other lacks. I want 5 fps or more, great battery life, large LCD, and good high ISO performance at 3200. Every time I settle on one of those 3, I can't pull the trigger on buying it.

The D300 has everything I want, but can't afford unless I use credit. I work full time for a newspaper and have the use of a Canon Mark IIn. I freelance for another paper that's owned by the same company. The editor of the freelance paper said they have no problem with me using that camera, but if I break it while using for freelance, I am responsible.

A D40 will probably be an eventual full time body for my 18-200. I need AF for my pro lenses so it's out right now. I would buy any of the other 3 as a back up, but I know I would not be satisfied if it's a full time body. I hate debt, but I also hate paying twice. If I were just messing around, I would get a D40 and be done with it. However, I have had a taste for a pro body with the Canon and I want the best for pictures that will be in the public. Each time I think I could spend $700 on a D80,D2h I could spend another 2-300 on a D200. Then it's spend another 800 for the camera I want. Of course, the prices of a used D2h or dropping fast, but I don't how well it would for weddings as it's geared for newsprint and sports, at least from what I have read. I have thought of getting a D40 and the D2h. I know the ultimate decision is mine, but would like to hear opinions.

Comments

• Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    My D50 is dying on me, so I am looking at the D300 as a replacement. I can't afford one at the moment, but I need a camera body as I have two weddings in August. They are both informal and both know I have never done a wedding. However, I want the best I can possibly give them as my name will be associated with those pictures, even though they are not expecting the quality of a seasoned wedding pro. I want time to get used to the new camera.

I can afford a D80, used d200 and used D2h. Each one has a feature I like, but misses one or more the other lacks. I want 5 fps or more, great battery life, large LCD, and good high ISO performance at 3200. Every time I settle on one of those 3, I can't pull the trigger on buying it.

The D300 has everything I want, but can't afford unless I use credit. I work full time for a newspaper and have the use of a Canon Mark IIn. I freelance for another paper that's owned by the same company. The editor of the freelance paper said they have no problem with me using that camera, but if I break it while using for freelance, I am responsible.

A D40 will probably be an eventual full time body for my 18-200. I need AF for my pro lenses so it's out right now. I would buy any of the other 3 as a back up, but I know I would not be satisfied if it's a full time body. I hate debt, but I also hate paying twice. If I were just messing around, I would get a D40 and be done with it. However, I have had a taste for a pro body with the Canon and I want the best for pictures that will be in the public. Each time I think I could spend $700 on a D80,D2h I could spend another 2-300 on a D200. Then it's spend another 800 for the camera I want. Of course, the prices of a used D2h or dropping fast, but I don't how well it would for weddings as it's geared for newsprint and sports, at least from what I have read. I have thought of getting a D40 and the D2h. I know the ultimate decision is mine, but would like to hear opinions.

Don't take what I say too seriously because I'm a Canon guy:

The D200 and the D2 model Nikons had a reputation for somewhat poor image quality at higher ISO settings. I can give you names of bird photographers that had D200's, and gave up on them in favour of a 30D Canon.

HOWEVER - the latest Nikon incarnations are completely different - they provide superb image quality, and have some very desirable features. If I was buying today, a D300 would be considered very seriously. IMO, these models are kick-*** cameras.

So perhaps going into debt for one of the new Nikons is the best long term strategy.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    So perhaps going into debt for one of the new Nikons is the best long term strategy.

That's the way I am leaning. I am a Dave Ramsey disciple so debt is hateful to me, but I am also the kind who likes to buy once and I stick with things till they break apart.
  • The RoadrunnerThe Roadrunner Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Credit if used properly can give you great leverage.

I will be purchasing a D300 within the next two months. It will increase my debt by $1,800, but that will only be for thirty days. So the interest on the CR card debt will be minimized. Don't forget you will get a Tax Rebate of $600 if single or $1,200 if filing joint by mid May, any Fed Tax refund you normaly get when you file plus your ready cash to eliminate the debt or a large portion of it.

If you have an Equity loan credit line, you can also consider that (Usually a lower interest rate than the CR card) - just make the payback as soon as winfalls come your way. Use credit wisely, and it can be a good thing. Just construct projectid cash benefits above the norm, and pull the triger.

It sounds to me that you will not be happy with anything less.

Good luck with your decision!
    The Roadrunner
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    As someone who loved my D200 until I got my hands on a D300 for a test drive, I'd advise you to suck it up and go for the D300. Unless, that is, you want to buy my D200!?!?!?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited February 21, 2008
    I will be purchasing a D300 within the next two months. It will increase my debt by $1,800, but that will only be for thirty days. So the interest on the CR card debt will be minimized. Don't forget you will get a Tax Rebate of $600 if single or $1,200 if filing joint by mid May, any Fed Tax refund you normaly get when you file plus your ready cash to eliminate the debt or a large portion of it.

Newegg.com has differed payments for 12 months, no interest if paid off in a year if I read it right. Interest will accumulate of course if not paid, but the plan is to pay off quickly.
  • Red JRed J Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    I considered a D300 before I purchased my D200, though I have yet to see a D300 in the flesh.

I had come from a D80.

IMO, the differences in the D200 to D300 didn't warrant me spending an additional 800.

You can buy two lightly used D200s for the cost of one new D300.

ISO performance seems to be the argument for the newer Nikons, and the eternal prize of the Canon user. In my experience, I haven't needed it. I think it depends on your shooting style and your subjects. Granted, there are other benefits to the D300, and you certainly do pay for them.

j.
    (voice of fiscal responsibility) mwink.gif
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    take out a personal insurance rider on the Canon from work, and use that till you save up for the camera you want. A rider is very inexpensive. Call your insurance agent.
    edited February 22, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    take out a personal insurance rider on the Canon from work, and use that till you save up for the camera you want. A rider is very inexpensive. Call your insurance agent.

hmmmmm..
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 22, 2008
    cmason wrote:

I doubt if an insurance agent would think it ethical for them to insure someone else's equipment, even though I believe you mean to suggest protection for Jon.

Borrowing another's equipment always has some responsibility and risk attached. The correct method would be to "rent" the equipment and that transaction usually can be insured (or is intrinsically insured in the agreement of the rental.)

Sometimes your own insurance will cover other people's items under your care, but usually only for a very short term and not usually for items that you use for income. An insurance agent could help to clarify the limits to your existing policy for sure.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited February 22, 2008
    Well, I made my decision.

I am not getting the D300 right now, but I am going to start a camera fund. I am probably going to get some overtime hours and more freelance as spring sports are starting. I have decided that I am not going to get the other cameras. I may get them as backups after the D300, but I know I will happier with getting a D300. Thanks for the ideas and the time to bounce them around.clap.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    Well, I made my decision.

I am not getting the D300 right now, but I am going to start a camera fund. I am probably going to get some overtime hours and more freelance as spring sports are starting. I have decided that I am not going to get the other cameras. I may get them as backups after the D300, but I know I will happier with getting a D300. Thanks for the ideas and the time to bounce them around.clap.gif

There is some very sound advice above...but something that was not mentioned and I am very surprised is the tought on you backup camera......if you already own a D40 then keeping it as a back is okay.....but I personally hate to have to think about how different cameras operate during times such as "WEDDINGS".......that is a time you need to concentrate on your 'art" not how a different camera will operate if needed.....when I buy cameras I buy 2 exactly alike.....that way if one does die then my replacement is the same and all features are the same, they will use the same memory cards and have the same mp's......the only camera I carry that is not a duplicate is my 8mp Konica Minolta A2 and if I have to bring it out for a wedding or portrait shoot, something is really wrong....it will do the job grat but the lcd and electronic view finder are not bright enuff to do weddings comfortabley...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited February 22, 2008
    There is some very sound advice above...but something that was not mentioned and I am very surprised is the tought on you backup camera......if you already own a D40 then keeping it as a back is okay..

I don't own a D40. I mentioned getting one as a possible full time body for my 18-200 lens after getting a D300 or something else. I would like to get two D300's but I can't. Weddings are not my thing and I tried to talk the couples out of hiring me to do them explaining my lack of experience or proper backups.

If weddings were my full time gig, or I did them all the time, I would buy two D80's. However, my side income comes from freelance photography for the local newspaper and the D300 has the features that best suit that, besides the D2h and D200. The D300 seems to me to have the best of both of those so my strategy is to just get the D300 before the weddings, but hopefully pay in cash or at least pay down a substantial amount.

I think I would like to do weddings eventually and tips like redundant cameras WILL BE remembered, but these two are informal: one on the beach and one is a second marriage with not much fanfare.
  • wolfwoodswolfwoods Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    I had a D2H before my D200, unless I needed the frame speed, I'd use the D200. I eventually sold the D200 and recently bought a D300.. Now the D200 has been relegated to the backup role. I LOVE the D300 (of couse, I loved the other cameras when they were the new ones in the bag, too.) I have taken a lot of good pictures with the D200, but there is a noticable difference in the quality of the cameras and the quality of the photos. I can't tell you to go into debt or buy a camera that you might not be pleased with. All I can tell you is that I am very impressed with the D300.
    edited February 22, 2008
    That's why I don't want to spend money on something I can afford knowing I want the D300. Every time I get to the point of getting a D2h or D200, I can't pull the trigger. I guess it will be like that when the D400 comes out too.:cry
  • The RoadrunnerThe Roadrunner Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I doubt if an insurance agent would think it ethical for them to insure someone else's equipment, even though I believe you mean to suggest protection for Jon.

I remember something from my Juriprudence Class that said "So long as you have an ensurable interest, you can get a policy". It seems to me if I borrow a piece of equipment and sign off on my responsibility, I have an insurable interest in the equipmen as well as my financial being. He can always tell his agent about the situation for the final decision. In fact, he can probably get a temporary rider for a limited price at a lower rate. He has to make sure he is covered - that is for sure.

Roadrunner
  • ToyseToyse Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    :D
    jonh68 wrote:
    That's why I don't want to spend money on something I can afford knowing I want the D300. Every time I get to the point of getting a D2h or D200, I can't pull the trigger. I guess it will be like that when the D400 comes out too.:cry

Just pull the trigger and you will not regret it...:D

-Toyse