Dog Sledding for Tourists

tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited February 22, 2008 in Sports
In celebration of my getting rehired by Ididaride Tours to work for their Anchorage Sled Dog Show this summer... here are some photos I shot last year... instead of paying attention to sound levels and cues! :rofl
n733500663_281085_2982.jpg
Dallas Seavey (youngest musher to finish the Iditarod) gets a riding lesson from Buddy.

n733500663_281087_3566.jpg
Buddy's looking to getting into racing real soon!

n733500663_933481_2652.jpg
Anyone see the Disney movie 8 Below? The big red Malamute on the back of Dallas's sled is Flapjack one of two dogs that played "Buck" in that movie. As you can see he's a quick study. :D

n733500663_933482_2962.jpg
Did you know that a 16 dog Iditarod team can pull a 10,000 lbs dog truck when it's in neutral? Now you know! ;)

n733500663_933486_4159.jpg
Oh yeah, we do a sketch about the Gold Rush and how the sled dogs were the main mode of transportation.

n733500663_933488_4779.jpg
It's amazing how much power the dogs have, they've got a gold rush type sled instead of a racing sled, and they're running on gravel and they still book around our little arena. They're not just dogs, they're athletes (And they LIKE doing the job! Which is even more incredible!)
"It's only an island if you look at it from the water."

Comments

• ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    It´s a nice series of pics..But they are very very soft? and i think the colors are a bit pale?.

Yes them dogs sure know how to drag a sled!.
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Cool to see some practice photos, I just saw that movie Eight Below so its pretty cool to know theres a celebrity dog in town heh.

I might actually get down to see some sled dog races this year...I dont think ive ever seen the iditarod start and ive lived there most my life. DoH!
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Those are some pretty cool dogs. Wow - you can see their power.

I was in Talkeetna and went to Iditerod HQ in September 2006 and there was a team of dogs there we were able to go for a ride there and we got to hold and play with some puppies too. They were amazing dogs.

What a great job you have!

I
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Cool to see some practice photos, I just saw that movie Eight Below so its pretty cool to know theres a celebrity dog in town heh.

I might actually get down to see some sled dog races this year...I dont think ive ever seen the iditarod start and ive lived there most my life. DoH!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Prezwoodz wrote:

.... you need to get to teh start this year. If you want to beat the crowd head over to the Tudor Crossing (basically University park, behind the Native Health Center) it's less crowded, and a better photographic opportunity IMHO....clap.gif
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."