Canon 40d Vs. Canon 1d Mark Ii.........please Help

The Wild EyeThe Wild Eye Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited February 28, 2008 in Cameras
Hello all!!

I'm looking for every ones opinion on this one!!

I'm debating on what camera I should buy.........First I should tell you I'm a landscape and WILDLIFE photographer currently shooting a 20D.

I'm getting ready to update and I don't know if I should buy a new canon 40D or buy a used canon 1d mark II off Ebay.

Advice on either camera would really be appreciated!!

Thanks
The Wild Eye

Canon 1D Mark II, 16-35mm, 28-135mm, 50mm, 100-400mm, 1.4X, 600mm FD & 1.4X FD.

"Wildlife photography drives my passion. But there is something about being in the midst of a scenic view that takes your breath away."

www.SamSwartz.Net

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    What are your reasons for upgrading?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • The Wild EyeThe Wild Eye Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Speed
    gluwater wrote:
    What are your reasons for upgrading?

Speed for wildlife....

image quality and ease of use.

I want to take better photos and I want the camera that will best help me do that.
    The Wild Eye

"Wildlife photography drives my passion. But there is something about being in the midst of a scenic view that takes your breath away."

www.SamSwartz.Net
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Unless you really need the faster AF of the 1DMrkII I would go with the 40D. It has much improved AF over the 20D along with the Digic III processor. If you do decide to get the 1DmrkII I would get the 1DmrkIIn. But a point that most people don't think about is the 1.6x crop factor of the APS-C sensor (40D) gives you more reach that can really help for wildlife but can be a hinderence for landscapes.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Having had the 1DMIIN and currently having the 30D and having tried out the 40D, I'd probably go for the 1DII.

It's AF is still better than 40D IMO, and if you are in the wild, the better weather sealing of the 1D is nice. Also, I think the RAW noise level is lower on the 1DMII (it has the same pixel pitch as the 5D).
    Only down sides are that it's less ergonomically designed where you have to press two buttons to change setting vs one , the greater weight, heavier button springs which can tire your thumb after a full day of shooting with Custom fn 4-1, and slightly less reach compared to a 1.6x crop.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    I want to take better photos and I want the camera that will best help me do that.

What camera do you have now? How is it limiting you? Just buying a fancier body is not going to automatically make you a better photographer, it will just make you a photographer with a fancier camera. Food for thought.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 22, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Having had the 1DMIIN and currently having the 30D and having tried out the 40D, I'd probably go for the 1DII.

It's AF is still better than 40D IMO, and if you are in the wild, the better weather sealing of the 1D is nice. Also, I think the RAW noise level is lower on the 1DMII (it has the same pixel pitch as the 5D).
    Only down sides are that it's less ergonomically designed where you have to press two buttons to change setting vs one , the greater weight, heavier button springs which can tire your thumb after a full day of shooting with Custom fn 4-1, and slightly less reach compared to a 1.6x crop.

15524779-Ti.gif I have both the Canon 40D and 1D MKII. The 1D MKII is more responsive and faster to autofocus. The difference is not staggering, but it's there.

RAW images are more similar than different, but JPGs are better "out-of-the-camera" on the 40D with high-ISO NR turned on. The 1D MKII needs more software NR to be similar.

The 40D has slightly more dynamic range at ISO 3200, which I find astonishing, but I see more color depth.

The 40D has a bit more crop magnification, which you use like a tele-converter. Unlike a tele-converter, the camera has already been ISO compensated.

All things considered, the 1D MKII is still a step up from the 40D for most wildlife in the ways that matter most, but the 40D really is like a "mini-1D".

You haven't mentioned what lenses you use, which make more difference than the camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • The Wild EyeThe Wild Eye Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Lenses
    ziggy53 wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif I have both the Canon 40D and 1D MKII. The 1D MKII is more responsive and faster to autofocus. The difference is not staggering, but it's there.

RAW images are more similar than different, but JPGs are better "out-of-the-camera" on the 40D with high-ISO NR turned on. The 1D MKII needs more software NR to be similar.

The 40D has slightly more dynamic range at ISO 3200, which I find astonishing, but I see more color depth.

The 40D has a bit more crop magnification, which you use like a tele-converter. Unlike a tele-converter, the camera has already been ISO compensated.

All things considered, the 1D MKII is still a step up from the 40D for most wildlife in the ways that matter most, but the 40D really is like a "mini-1D".

You haven't mentioned what lenses you use, which make more difference than the camera.

It's great to hear from some one who has both!! thank you!!! The magnification on the 40d with the much larger buffer is what's pushing me to the 40D. I've just heard the auto focus on the MarkII is amazing!

For lenses I have:
    Canon 100-400mm IS
    Canon 28-135mm IS
    And I'm wanting to get the Canon 10-22mm soon....but not if I get the Mark II....since it wont work with it:D

If you had to get rid of one of the two which would you keep if money had zero to do with it.
    The Wild Eye

www.SamSwartz.Net
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    And I'm wanting to get the Canon 10-22mm soon....but not if I get the Mark II....since it wont work with it:D

Yes but with a 1.6 crop the 10-22 works out to be just about a 16-35. However for approximately the same price as the 10-22 you can get the 17-40 F4L to cover just about the same range.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    dmmattix wrote:
    Yes but with a 1.6 crop the 10-22 works out to be just about a 16-35. However for approximately the same price as the 10-22 you can get the 17-40 F4L to cover just about the same range.

Don't forget to consider the 1.3x crop factor of a 1D body (only 1Ds is full frame!). Therefore the 17-40 is actually more like a 24mm - 55mm.
    Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
    Bogen 055XPROB
    Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV
    edited February 22, 2008
    For lenses I have:
    Canon 100-400mm IS
    Canon 28-135mm IS

If you had to get rid of one of the two which would you keep if money had zero to do with it.

The EF 28-135mm, f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is the weaker of the two you have, and the least likely to be useful for most wildlife or many landscapes, so that is probably the one you would miss the least. Then again, many folks use that lens as a general purpose lens, especially on the 1D MKII.

You really meed to look at your own photography to see which you use more.
    ziggy53
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Don't forget to consider the 1.3x crop factor of a 1D body (only 1Ds is full frame!). Therefore the 17-40 is actually more like a 24mm - 55mm.

I forgot they still hold onto the 1.3 crop for the 1D bodies. My bad.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Rick_RRick_R Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

I also have the 40D and MKII (non N) and both cameras are fantasitc (40D has wonderful files that really do not need much editing, MKII has incredable focusing speed and accuracy). If you need focal lenght go with the 40D (1.6 crop vs 1.3) and if you need focus speed / accuracy go with the MkII (Way more focus points)

While either camera will give you fantastic pictures, I can understand the mental ping-pong you are going throgh. BTW I had the MKII first and got the 40D as backup.

Regards
    Rick
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    I don't own either so can't comment on AF etc., but I do own a 350D and a lousy 300mm lens.
    the 300mm lens becomes 480mm with the crop factor but even that seems less sometimes.
    with wildlife you need atleast 600mm, and with the crop factor body, you have close to that range with your 100-400L
    edited February 27, 2008
    If you are looking for stuff to do with crop cameras etc., I created a new thread for it. This thread had been hijacked enough.
    ziggy53
  • thoffthoff Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Wondering the same thing....
    I am in the same boat, thinking about upgrading but not sure what to go for. I do not do landscape that much. More sports and wildlife. I was trying to figure out which one would be the best all around best fit and am still on the fense on which one to get. So please keep the opinions coming betweent the 40D and the 1d mark II.
    Thanks Tom
    "It is what you learn after you know it all that really counts"
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
  • thoffthoff Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Just get this camera, it will solve all your problems:
    http://www.antonline.com/p_VQ-1005P-NX_258259.htm

THanks for the help, I ordered one for you to do some more studio work. It is on the way.
    "It is what you learn after you know it all that really counts"
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Just get this camera, it will solve all your problems:
    http://www.antonline.com/p_VQ-1005P-NX_258259.htm

Don't forget the Gitzo 3-series tripod & RRS BH-55 to mount it on for that studio work! rolleyes1.gif
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    thoff wrote:
    THanks for the help, I ordered one for you to do some more studio work. It is on the way.

Sweet! Do you think it has any good zoom lenses?rolleyes1.gif
  • OzoneOzone Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Also, at least 8GB of storage for those awesome pix you'll be taking. Who needs a Hassie?
    Ozone