Javascript stopped executing

dac1117dac1117 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
edited February 23, 2008 in SmugMug Support
It appears as if javaScript has stopped executing on my site. The bilingual script I am using has suddenly stopped working and now displays all languages. I had to manually add the {display:none;} css statements below as a quick-fix until I figure out what's going on. This is not an issue with the bilingual script itself since it has always worked perfectly and no changes have been made.

.jpn {display:none;}
.ger {display:none;}
.fre {display:none;}

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Change the javascript calls from the header to the footer. Smugmug changed something to load the JS later in the page.. Dunno why headscratch.gif

Anyways, just cut/paste the calls to the footer and it'll work. But, it also seemed to mess up some of my CSS...

Argh.. David
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Change the javascript calls from the header to the footer. Smugmug changed something to load the JS later in the page.. Dunno why headscratch.gif

Everything should be much faster - most people have JS in their footers - we know that there are some who don't - moving it to the footer should do it for you.
  • dac1117dac1117 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Everything should be much faster - most people have JS in their footers - we know that there are some who don't - moving it to the footer should do it for you.

Hi Andy - after I moved the JS calls to the footer, there is now a noticeable (and unprofessional) delay where all languages display right before the selected language choice 'locks in'. This seems to be an issue with the JS cookie that reads in the externally hosted .css file that hides the languages not selected.

Any way to fix this on your end or does the script need to be revised? My site is www.woodfiredceramics.net

Thanks for looking into this!
    edited February 22, 2008
    My Vanity URLs have a LONG delay before they kick in... Basically, the entire flash homepage needs to load, etc. before it'll kick in and redirect. I had published a vanity URL on a flyer that went out to hundreds of families; and now I'm getting complaints that they just go to the homepage (well, it'd go to the right page if they waited long enough, but....)

Please, Please, Please let choose the JS position? Header or footer! Speed vs. features.

David
    edited February 22, 2008
    dac1117 wrote:
    Hi Andy - after I moved the JS calls to the footer, there is now a noticeable (and unprofessional) delay where all languages display right before the selected language choice 'locks in'. This seems to be an issue with the JS cookie that reads in the externally hosted .css file that hides the languages not selected.

Any way to fix this on your end or does the script need to be revised? My site is www.woodfiredceramics.net

Thanks for looking into this!
    Hi Jeff, and everyone - the reason for this change is for speed.

Ultimately, your scripts will also have to be run from the javascript box itself, and we'll be explaining and showing how, in the near future (before we release this new functionality).

Jeff, your site goes fast for me still, including changing the languages.
    edited February 22, 2008
    That then means that any navbars that use scripts will need to go there too? and statcounter/google analytics too?

How about the Album info box? I use forms and scripts there to customize a particular album vs. the entire site. Will those go away too? (Please, say it's not true!)
    edited February 22, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    That then means that any navbars that use scripts will need to go there too? and statcounter/google analytics too?
    Navbars that use scripts, interesting. I'd have to see an example.

Statcounter and GA, yes, footer.

How about the Album info box? I use forms and scripts there to customize a particular album vs. the entire site. Will those go away too? (Please, say it's not true!)

It's possible, yes. But how things will shake out is not finalized yet. We're tightening some things up. More to come when we're ready to discuss, we promise deal.gif
    edited February 22, 2008
    Ok, so the HEADER will not have JS allowed, but the footer WILL allow it? So I don't need to redo analytics, etc.. that's currently in the footer?

I understand you're probably looking to reduce XSS exploits, etc.. But, please don't remove all the coolness that is Smuggy Customization. I love being able to throw a script into my bio box and have it play music without having to do two or three extra steps to make it work. (i.e. go to control panel, create a CSS class, then add the code to the javascript window, then... etc..)
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 22, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Ok, so the HEADER will not have JS allowed, but the footer WILL allow it? So I don't need to redo analytics, etc.. that's currently in the footer?

I understand you're probably looking to reduce XSS exploits, etc.. But, please don't remove all the coolness that is Smuggy Customization. I love being able to throw a script into my bio box and have it play music without having to do two or three extra steps to make it work. (i.e. go to control panel, create a CSS class, then add the code to the javascript window, then... etc..)
    Right now, we think we'll only be able to allow javascript in your javascript box. We're still trying to determine the best course of action and the ability to customize is a huge factor in how we go about things.
    Pedal faster
    edited February 22, 2008
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Right now, we think we'll only be able to allow javascript in your javascript box. We're still trying to determine the best course of action and the ability to customize is a huge factor in how we go about things.
    I totally understand that you want Smugmug to appear as fast as possible to new members--no matter which site that's hosted by smugmug they go to. And, I'm sure that parsing through all the customize boxes looking for scripts is hard on the CPUs of your servers. BUT, I think I speak for all power/pro users that really work on their site, is that a large part of the appeal to Smugmug is the ability to be as creative as you want to be on your own piece of the web.

I think the other problem may be that if I have *all* my scripts in the JS box only, then things that really only need to be loaded for ONE page ends up being loaded (or at least downloaded) for every single page the end-user browses. No big deal on DSL/Cable/Fiber, but, on dialup, that's seconds of added time for nothing.

Also, while I can fix problems as they occur, others aren't as computer savvy. You may end up with a lot of upset pros (who paid someone to do their site) and now have to spend more money to fix it, etc....

David
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Will this effect any the flash slideshows, videos, forms, etc. with script in the
    bio or other html box?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Things simply don't work on my LIVE site
    Hey guys... my navigation bars (which used vanity URLs), my vanity URLs, and my flash slideshow in a gallery all stopped working...and I haven't made any changes to my customization.

Whatever the 'speed' changes are seem to be disabling many of the features of our production sites. Is this the case?

- Gary.
    edited February 22, 2008
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Hey guys... my navigation bars (which used vanity URLs), my vanity URLs, and my flash slideshow in a gallery all stopped working...and I haven't made any changes to my customization.

Whatever the 'speed' changes are seem to be disabling many of the features of our production sites. Is this the case?

- Gary.
    Please see your other thread, which I moved to the vanity url thread.
    edited February 22, 2008
    Moving JS to Footer causing more problems.
    Moving my JS code to the footer section has really fowled-up my multi-lingual site. Simiply selecting another menu item or link causes all 4 languages to noticeably display before the selected language takes hold. This looks un-professional and reflects badly to my users and visitors. Please let me know if there will be a solution to this. Thx - dave c.
    edited February 22, 2008
    >> I think I speak for all power/pro users that really work on their site, is that a large part of the appeal to Smugmug is the ability to be as creative as you want to be on your own piece of the web. <<

Hear Hear!
  • BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 23, 2008
    dac1117 wrote:
    Moving my JS code to the footer section has really fowled-up my multi-lingual site. Simiply selecting another menu item or link causes all 4 languages to noticeably display before the selected language takes hold. This looks un-professional and reflects badly to my users and visitors. Please let me know if there will be a solution to this. Thx - dave c.

Hi Dave,

We noticed this also. We are seeing what might be able to be done. You have such a great site, we will surely help if we can! It may take us a bit of time, so hang with us. We've got a couple of folks looking into it :)
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Will this effect any the flash slideshows, videos, forms, etc. with script in the
    bio or other html box?

I'd like input on this one from Allen too...
    All my script is currently in the footer box (I think I was directed that way from the start by Dev or Mike Lane). But I do have A LOT there and a bit in the description boxes of some galleries...
    edited February 23, 2008
    I'd like input on this one from Allen too...
    All my script is currently in the footer box (I think I was directed that way from the start by Dev or Mike Lane). But I do have A LOT there and a bit in the description boxes of some galleries...
    Patience.... thanks
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=759212#post759212
    edited February 23, 2008
    I'm guessing apart from the speed issue, is the cross-site-scripting issue. A malicious user could potentially create a header script to generate what looks like a 'smugmug' banner that has a link to a bad site to "login", thereby stealing passwords to real users. But, I think there's an (easy?) way to deal with this. You have the persons name, credit card, address, etc.. Offer some sort of 'verification' system to enable scripts in the header. Like a postcard with a special code. That way you have their REAL address, and if they ever do something nasty, you can deal with them for real.

Those who pass the verification, let them have more flexibility in what they do. They're the "Verified" members. Sure, you can be a non-verified member too, just that you're limited to JS in the footer/JS box.

I'm just thinking out-loud here, but, it is an option that would probably solve the side-issue you guys are (rightly) worried about. Of course, the 99.999999999% of legit users would never even dream of doing this type of stupidity, and would care less about giving you whatever documents you need (copy of drivers license, etc..). The pro's give you a tax document with their SS#--you can even use that to verify address. Sure, it's a cost, and it's a bit of a pain out of the gate, but, you can automated the whole process and have the Social Security # verified against an addess.. Charge the $5 processing fee to get it done instantly, or, like ebay, allow other verification that takes longer, based on feedback (in this case, longevity of use, and a manual review of the website).

Just a thought....

David
  • brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Andy you know me well enough... I have NO patience... but I'll try...:D
    edited February 23, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Hi Dave,

We noticed this also. We are seeing what might be able to be done. You have such a great site, we will surely help if we can! It may take us a bit of time, so hang with us. We've got a couple of folks looking into it :)

Thanks Barb - nice to know smugMug is working on a fix! :baldy

davd c. www.woodfiredceramics.net