Are the 400D and XTi exactly the same?

yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited February 22, 2008 in Cameras
All things considered and warranties aside, is there any mechanical difference between the 400D and the XTi? Or are they really just the same camera with just different names (per sales region - Asia, the US, Europe).

For example, if you had an opportunity to buy a 400D for $100 less than a XTi (everything else being equal), would there be any reason not to?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 22, 2008
    If you go to this page:

http://www.canon.com/eos-d/index.html

... you will see that "Canon" describes a "XTi/400D" as being the same camera.

If the warranty is not an issue, I would only be concerned with region specific items like the power supply/charger, bundled software, etc. Of these things, only the power supply/charger would be a concern for me.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you go to this page:

http://www.canon.com/eos-d/index.html

... you will see that "Canon" describes a "XTi/400D" as being the same camera.

If the warranty is not an issue, I would only be concerned with region specific items like the power supply/charger, bundled software, etc. Of these things, only the power supply/charger would be a concern for me.

Thanks, Ziggy...didn't think about the power charger. But good to have that 400D/XTi clarified.
  • eyusufeyusuf Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you go to this page:

Of these things, only the power supply/charger would be a concern for me.

the charger is always 110v-240V so that would not be an issue. if one is concerned about different plugs, a universal power adapter only costs 5 bux..:D
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Any more, eyusuf is correct ... almost all wall warts and power bricks for most all portable electronic, digital, etc. devices, including camera chargers and laptop chargers, are multi-voltage and require only a plug adapter to work in another country.

However, just to be sure, always check the nomenclature sticker on the device itself.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    They're the same. If you're based in the US though, I'd be surprised if you could get a European or Asian 400D for significantly less than a XTi branded for the local market (unless we're perhaps talking shopping at certain none US airports).