Help Needed: Two people tell me they only see a black screen when they go to my site!

DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited February 28, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I’ve gotten two people recently (one this morning) who tells me that when they try to access my site, they only get a black screen. Nothing else. I’ve tried to replicate it myself, but, every computer/browser I use it with, works (well, the vanity URL issue with the latest bug fixes has made it look bad and take a LONG time to load, but…)

Anyways, here is the link I’ve given out:

http://www.wolfsnap.com/hcll

She also tells me that the DIRECT link isn’t working for her either… ( http://www.wolfsnap.com/gallery/4275293_4RFRU ). Normally I’d think that her computer is to blame, but this is the second person who’s described the same thing. Is it possible that I’ve done something that breaks on IE6 or some other browser that I don’t test on (I test on IE7, Firefox 2.x, Safari (Windows), and Opera.

I’m being told it gives a black screen. I can’t replicate it, but, possibly if you guys can see if I did something dumb that could cause an issue with some browser? Possibly a browser with tighter security and/or no flash player? Or..?

Please help! :bow

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    I’ve gotten two people recently (one this morning) who tells me that when they try to access my site, they only get a black screen. Nothing else. I’ve tried to replicate it myself, but, every computer/browser I use it with, works (well, the vanity URL issue with the latest bug fixes has made it look bad and take a LONG time to load, but…)

Anyways, here is the link I’ve given out:

http://www.wolfsnap.com/hcll

She also tells me that the DIRECT link isn’t working for her either… ( http://www.wolfsnap.com/gallery/4275293_4RFRU ). Normally I’d think that her computer is to blame, but this is the second person who’s described the same thing. Is it possible that I’ve done something that breaks on IE6 or some other browser that I don’t test on (I test on IE7, Firefox 2.x, Safari (Windows), and Opera.

I’m being told it gives a black screen. I can’t replicate it, but, possibly if you guys can see if I did something dumb that could cause an issue with some browser? Possibly a browser with tighter security and/or no flash player? Or..?

Please help! bowdown.gif
    Find out their browser, we fully support ie6, 7, Firefox and Safari.

Your custom link and direct link worked fine for me in our browsers....

They can also write our help desk, our heroes can help 'em directly.
  • DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    I'm waiting on her response as to the type of browser she's using. But, it's odd that this is the second time I've heard of a "black screen" showing up only. I've never tried it in AOL's pathetic browser--but, that's just IE with a skin IIRC.. I wonder if that could cause problems?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    I've never tried it in AOL's pathetic browser--but, that's just IE with a skin IIRC.. I wonder if that could cause problems?

AOL sucks and it's *not* the same as IE deal.gif
    edited February 22, 2008
    Trust me, I cringe everytime I see someone tell me they use AOL.. It's a pathetic excuse for a browser. I routinely uninstall AOL on sight when I'm doing my normal day-job as a Computer Guru (MCSE).

But, having said that, the reality is that some people still use it. :bash

Oh, I heard back from the person who said she's getting a black screen. It's from a work computer, and running IE. (she didn't say which version.. argh..)

David
    edited February 28, 2008
    Turns out there WAS a problem. But, it was in my own code :bash

I was playing with a new NavBar, and apparently, it had been messed up. IE6 would get to the place in the header where the navbar was, and it would immediately choke and stop rendering. All the other browsers would just ignore the error and keep going.

Removed the new NavBar that wasn't live anyways, and the problem is fixed.

I just wish it didn't take this long to track down *my* error.. :cry

So.. a bit of a warning. If you're doing drop down nav bars, make sure you test it in IE6 to see if it breaks anything. Preferably an IE6 with uh, little to no updates/security fixes/ etc.. (Yeah, I know.. people are silly.. but, what's a guy to do? headscratch.gif)

David

David