Why are thumbs not appearing?

MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited March 14, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I have been having a problem (today particularly) in that when I enter into one of my galleries, it seems no matter which gallery I enter to view, there's always at least one thumbnail that does not want to load.

360photostock.com

Sometimes the thumbnail is loading but the larger view is not. This is beginning to be a little annoying and it's probably my PC more than it is Smugmug but, I thought I'd drop you a line on this and see if anyone knows what is causing this and / or what I can do to alleviate this?

I am running FF 2.0.0.12 but it's also happening when I use IE.
I've cleared my private data in FF & refreshed..... still persists the problem.
I've run CCleaner to clear out all cache and cookies just to make sure.
I've even gone into FF options and specifically added urls (my smugmug site for example) to "allow images to load" automatically.

It should be noted that this is not just happening today, it's just happening today on MY site. Other days the same problem will occur if I go for example to the Smugsearch page....not all the thumbs are loading.

Thank you (anyone) in advance for your help or ideas on this.
Markjay
Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
Canon 20D - no more film!

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Hello wave.gif

I don't know what is going on, really. I just checked your site and about half a dozen galleries and all the thumbs seem to load just fine ne_nau.gif

Does this happen on your system only? or on others as well? is there any pattern to distinguish?
  • MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Pattern?
    The pattern is..... it's happening on THIS system only :-(
    Which realy _ucks eggs, cause this is the PC I'm on 90 % of the time!

ANy ideas?
    ivar wrote:
    Hello wave.gif

I don't know what is going on, really. I just checked your site and about half a dozen galleries and all the thumbs seem to load just fine ne_nau.gif

Does this happen on your system only? or on others as well? is there any pattern to distinguish?
    Markjay
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Markjay wrote:
    The pattern is..... it's happening on THIS system only :-(
    Which realy _ucks eggs, cause this is the PC I'm on 90 % of the time!

ANy ideas?
    Empty your browser cache completely, close & reopen the browser. Let us know.
    edited February 23, 2008
    Andy......
    I do empty my browser cache and clear private data in FF.
    Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.... most of the time it doesn't.
    I notice in my status bar of FF is shows the word "stopped".
    Mind you, I am NOT hitting the stop (X) icon, yet it's saying stopped in the status bar anyway. Maybe this is what is causing not all the thumbs to load but, I don't know what's stopping the loading?

A bit frustrating when you are uploading new images and can't see them after they've uploaded to zoom the thumbnails :-(

I'm confident this has nothing to do with Smugmug... just my PC going awal on me!

If you come up with any other ideas (and I'll continue to research also) I would appreciate any help you can lend?

Night
    Andy wrote:
    Empty your browser cache completely, close & reopen the browser. Let us know.
    Markjay
    edited February 26, 2008
    Ivar or Andy.......
    As it turns out (I'm sharing this so maybe others can learn something from it?)

My ZoneAlarm firewall for some strange reason was stopping a thumb or two from loading, non consistantly one thumb, sometimes two thumbs, sometimes the larger view photo and, most definately thumbnails from the Smugsearch.

I found this out by experimenting by turning off ZoneAlarm temporarily while visiting my 360photostock.com website and the Smugsearch site.

What I have NOT figured out yet.......
    is which setting in ZoneAlarm to alter to alleviate this problem?
    If you have any ideas, please share.

Thank you for your responding to my post to begin with!

ivar wrote:
    Hello wave.gif

Markjay
  • NeilCNeilC Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 11, 2008
    This maybe the answer...?
    Hi Markjay,

I have exactly the same problem, I've been playing about with Zonealarm and have managed to find the setting which permits the thumbs to be shown.

If you go to Privacy->Site List you should see an entry for smugmug listed, I imagine you will see that Private Header is 'blocked'... change it to 'allowed' and smugmug should return to its glorious former self.... wings.gif

and if you want to know what 'private headers' are all about trying checking out this site http://www.abelard.org/technology/red_x.php..

Anyway... hope it helps..... thumb.gif

Markjay wrote:
    As it turns out (I'm sharing this so maybe others can learn something from it?)

My ZoneAlarm firewall for some strange reason was stopping a thumb or two from loading, non consistantly one thumb, sometimes two thumbs, sometimes the larger view photo and, most definately thumbnails from the Smugsearch.

I found this out by experimenting by turning off ZoneAlarm temporarily while visiting my 360photostock.com website and the Smugsearch site.

What I have NOT figured out yet.......
    is which setting in ZoneAlarm to alter to alleviate this problem?
    If you have any ideas, please share.

Thank you for your responding to my post to begin with!
    edited March 14, 2008
    Thanks a bunch!
    Almost forgot to come back here and thank you for your help on this!
    I'm pretty computer savvy (more so than I am HTML or CSS savvy :-)
    and I could not for the life of me figure that one out!

Have a great weekend.

NeilC wrote:
    Hi Markjay,

I have exactly the same problem, I've been playing about with Zonealarm and have managed to find the setting which permits the thumbs to be shown.

If you go to Privacy->Site List you should see an entry for smugmug listed, I imagine you will see that Private Header is 'blocked'... change it to 'allowed' and smugmug should return to its glorious former self.... wings.gif

and if you want to know what 'private headers' are all about trying checking out this site http://www.abelard.org/technology/red_x.php..

Anyway... hope it helps..... thumb.gif
    Markjay