Options

Fuji car adapters for recharging.

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited June 1, 2005 in Cameras
OK, here's my story. I've got a Fuji F700 digital cam. I'll be heading out in June for two weeks in a remote mountain range, doing a lot of climbing and a lot of clicking pictures. To recharge my camera while I'm out there, I purchased the Brunton Solar Roll 4.5 which I hoped would plug into my camera. It doesn't, but it has an adapter to plug in a car charger. "No problem" I figure, "I'll just head down to the camera shop and grab one."

Nuh uh.:nono Nobody in the STATE has the stinking things. I've spent several days looking all over Wasilla and Anchorage, and if Anchorage doesn't have it, nobody does. "OK" I says, "This isn't the best way, but I can find it online."

Imagine my consternation when the great and powerful INTERNET refuses me, showing that the only sites in the world offering the Fuji AC 5v car adapter made for my camera are in the UK, and will not export to me.

Now I turn to you guys.:D

Fortunately I bought the solar roll from REI. I did this because I know they will accept a return, and I kept the receipt. Now... is there any way I can make this thing work at all, or is my best bet going to be returning this solar panel and buying 300 dollars worth of batteries for the trip? Can anyone here clue me in on some method I'm not seeing here for getting my camera recharged in the wild? I appreciate any help you can offer!
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited March 24, 2005
    Couple of things. Does the camera have a replacement battery? If so,
    you might carry several with you. Avoid chimping, turn the camera off when
    you're not shooting, etc. Charge them as near to your departure as practical.
    However, I would add that you don't want to buy new, charge and leave. You
    likely want to charge, discharge and recharge at least once. Preferably twice
    before you use them.

You can probably use the solar panel to trickle charge the car battery over
    a long period but it's not likely to be of much use for the camera.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2005
    OK, that helps. Now if I charge say seven or eight batteries, are they going to hold that charge long enough to be of use to me ten days into this trip?
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited March 24, 2005
    coldclimb wrote:
    OK, that helps. Now if I charge say seven or eight batteries, are they going to hold that charge long enough to be of use to me ten days into this trip?
    If you keep them warm and cozy, probably. One problem batteries have is
    exposure to cold. If you're camping, keep them in your bag with you at night.

Do you know how many shots you can shoot, on average, you can calculate
    the number you'll need.

You'll also need to consider shooting fewer pictures as well.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    You'll also need to consider shooting fewer pictures as well.

Ian
    Fewer pictures is NOT an option!rolleyes1.gifrofl

Hmmm.. keep them warm... I'd have to carry them in my pockets to do that, but it's doable.

Ugh... this sucks. ne_nau.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2005
    Since you are asking about a car adapter charger for your camera, I am going to assume that your car will be available during some portions of the two weeks.

I recommend a power inverter. I use one all the time since I spend a lot of time out where the only reliable source of power is my auto. You just plug it into your cigarette lighter and then plug the camera's AC charger into it. I use mine to charge my camera batteries, notebook computer battery, PDA, etc. I even use it to run my notebook while downloading images and burning them onto CD's as well.

Here is a link to a 150 watt power inverter sold by Circuit City: There are less expensive ones, but I've found that the 150W does the job for just about anything I need (won't run space heaters though) while camping and on photo treks.

You can also find them at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, or just about any other electronics store.

If you're lucky, your auto has a non-switched 12v recepticle which you can use when the car isn't running. Mine does and I've never had any problem charging things over night with the car off because the draw is so light. However, I would test it first just to make sure so you won't be in the middle of nowhere and run your auto battery down the first time you try.

Hope this helps.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2005
    Wont be a car available his solar panel recharger only has a female plug for a car extention.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2005
    Yeah, Prezwoodz is right. There won't be a car, or even a road, for several hundred miles in any direction. All I've got is this solar panel with a female cigarrette lighter port, and it's 4.5 watts, so it won't be running an inverter, sadly. Prezwoodz is my partner on this expedition, and by some strange twist of fate, has the exact same camera and is in the exact same position. rolleyes1.gif

So I'm thinking our best option is to buy up the whole state's battery supply (oh, did I mention that nobody here even has the BATTERIES? I had to nab a spare from a demo camera at a photo shop in Anchorage.) and just stow them in our pockets for the whole trip, conserving as much juice as possible. Not the most fun, but what's a guy to do? ne_nau.gif At least I can get three for the price of this solar roll.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2005
    Sorry about that. The subject line threw me (Fuji car adapters for recharging.).

Then extra batteries are about the only way to go. Figure how many photos you get to a charge and try to make sure that you have enough batteries to carry you through the trip. That probably means lots of extra memory as well.

Good luck with both the batteries and the trip.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2005
    coldclimb wrote:
    OK, here's my story. I've got a Fuji F700 digital cam. I'll be heading out in June for two weeks in a remote mountain range, doing a lot of climbing and a lot of clicking pictures. To recharge my camera while I'm out there, I purchased the Brunton Solar Roll 4.5 which I hoped would plug into my camera. It doesn't, but it has an adapter to plug in a car charger. "No problem" I figure, "I'll just head down to the camera shop and grab one."!
    Does anyone there have the car charger for Sony's popular new PSP? I actually use the PSP's AC adapter with my s5100, and I found that the car charger for it works great too. If it fits the F700, it might work for you.
  • Options
    tomgardnertomgardner Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2005
    Try the universal digital camera battery chargers- they work.
    Hi,
    Have you tried the Uniross universal digital camera battery charger? I have just bought one (in UK) for a cycling expedition to Bolivia this June, where we will be using a solar panel for 2 different digital cameras, GPS, and a Flashtrax portable hard disk image tank. This charger comes with adapter modules for pretty much every conceivable digicam lithium battery, with car adapter, and only weighs about 150g if you leave the AC converter (450g) behind. There is a current link on ebay here if you are very quick http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50518&item=7512982409&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW for a seller in the US, and you may well find others, even if you have to get one from Hong Kong.

This site
    http://www.battery-force.co.uk/detail_URCHRG001D.html
    has full details of batteries supported. I have tested it with canon BP511 and Fuji NP40 with my Exponent Flex 5W panel and it works.

UPDATE: check this one out too:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50512&item=7514396978&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    Looks good does lots of batteries including
    Fuji NP- 30, 40, 50, 80, 100, 120 and is only $32

Or
    http://www.atbatt.com/product/ItemID/5472.asp
    at $35 for the fuji NP40 battery specifically, as I believe your camera uses?

Good luck,

Tom
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 1, 2005