#comment removed by Moderator ...... Skippy
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    OK, I guess I'm in a group way over my head and will exit the forums promptly. Thank you......good luck to all of u pros.
  • mayassamayassa Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    OK, I guess I'm in a group way over my head and will exit the forums promptly. Thank you......good luck to all of u pros.

Post your pic back up I don't think you should leave...

Just learn from what people leave as feedback
    You can use my Smug Mug coupon a0rrvSicVVqE2

Rick-Matassa.smugmug.com/
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    You have just let one person in 22,425 become your master with a quick hit of a keyboard.

Seriously put the photo back up for the rest of us to see.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    gus wrote:
    You have just let one person in 22,425 become your master with a quick hit of a keyboard.

Seriously put the photo back up for the rest of us to see.

I hate it when that happens!!! ne_nau.gif
    edited February 22, 2008
    Sorry but I'm new to SmugMug. I don't usually post on forums it was suggested to me but I'm an amateur and just left one site because of the bad comments on my work. I can take the critique but not the meanness. Maybe this isn't for me. I guess you can see what's under my profile. Didn't mean to cause a problem, I'm sure there are many good people out there. Sorry to have caused a problem.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    Sorry but I'm new to SmugMug. I don't usually post on forums it was suggested to me but I'm an amateur and just left one site because of the bad comments on my work. I can take the critique but not the meanness. Maybe this isn't for me. I guess you can see what's under my profile. Didn't mean to cause a problem, I'm sure there are many good people out there. Sorry to have caused a problem.

I did not see the photo so cannot comment on it at all.

I do not see where you caused any problem at all.

I would say that the vast majority of folks here on DGRIN are very helpful, polite, and entertaining. Now and then someone is rude, but it is not the norm. As for critique on photographs, well....sometimes it is hard for us to swallow....myself included. Often we think we have created something incredible when in the eyes of others it is just.....less. In that case one can either choose to put the camera away in a closet, or find out what could be changed to improve the image for a general audience and move forward. I agree that a simple comment saying a photo "does nothing for me" is not very helpful. "It does nothing for me because....(fill in the blank)....would be very helpful. "

My own photography has improved in giant steps in large part due to help from fellow DGrinners. I always measure the critique by the portfolio. In other words, if I posted a beautiful (in my eyes) portrait, and got a rough critique from someone I would first check out his/her portfolio. If they are primarily a landscape photographer, or macro enthusiast I might just take it with a grain of salt. If they are a masterful portrait photographer, I might take it to heart, and learn something from it.

I challenge you to hang around for awhile. Thicken your skin a bit. Grow as a photographer.

Welcome to DGRIN :D I hope to see more of your work soon!!!
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    I agree with the others... post your pic back up, and stick around! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    for me there's nothing scarier than giving my pictures up for critique. I don't take it well all the time... I'm a perfectionist and I normally see what others just point out which confirms my opinion that I suck (compared to most if not all on here I have a hard time telling myself I'm better than I give myself credit for...).

that being said - don't let whatever was said scare you off. The only way to get better is to throw yourself out there.

And who knows the shot could have been awesome and it just wasn't for one person. ne_nau.gif We won't know unless you share!
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited February 23, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:

I'm late to this party, so I didn't see the original post or the offensive comment. There are a few things you should know, though. The majority of people on Dgrin are amateurs. Many of them started posting when they were complete newbies to photography and over time have become truly accomplished photographers. The tips and critiques that they receive here are a tremendous help in that process. The overwhelming majority on Dgrin are polite and extremely helpful, but with over 20,000 members, there are bound to be a few cranks. Please don't let one bad apple spoil your experience here.

Regards,
    edited February 23, 2008
    I appreciate the support but for now my camera goes in the closet. I just don't have it. I do appreciate you all and if any of you see any potential below maybe one day I'll pick it back up. Thanks much.

Let me add..... I am a new member to the whole site. Hubby gave me a Power scription for V'day. I was told to join some communities and post on the forum to get to know some people and get seen. I let the comment made make me very insecure about my photos. Anyways.....I'm not a drama queen I just don't think I'm ready to share on such a large place. Peace.......

http://jsphotos.smugmug.com/