Fall Along the D&R Canal

jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
edited March 2, 2008 in Landscapes
This was taken along the D&R Canal in the Princeton, NJ area.

This is my favorite photo of 2007.

Thoughts?

224216263_dKBvR-XL.jpg
Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown

Comments

• KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    I like it.thumb.gif

I would suggest cropping it in a little closer on the left though to allow the tree to better frame the shot. I don't know if you cropped this originally, but if you did, I would also give a little more area to the right as to not crowd the dock as much
  • jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions Khaos. This is completely uncropped. I was thinking about buying it on the smugmug canvas option so depending upon what size I buy I'll have to work out the cropping.
    Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
  • dannymirandadannymiranda Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Awesome
    Wow, what a great picture! The texture on the foreground with the leaves is really appealing! The way the dock and tree frame the beautiful autumn landscape along the riverside is just wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Danny
     Macbook Pro | 2.2GHz Core2Duo | 2GB | 160GB HDD | 500GB HDD x 2 | Creative GigaWorks T20
     30 GB iPod Video | Sennheiser PX100 Headphones
     Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi | EF 50mm f1.8 II | Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 | Manfrotto 190XPROB & 484RC2
    dannymiranda.smugmug.com
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Calendar Shot
    clap.gif

Did you do some HDR work on this?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Excellent shot! I instantly get an image of a steam paddle boat just around the bend or Huck Fin lazily drifting along on a log raft.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Very nice shot. I didn't know that the canal was that wide anywhere (although I know the feeder along the Delaware much better than the main canal). You got some great fall colors there, not always so easy here in NJ.
    edited February 25, 2008
    Thank you so much for all of your comments. I'm glad you like this!
    Icebear wrote:
    clap.gif

Did you do some HDR work on this?
    Yes, This is 3 exposures - HDR done in Photomatrix.

jziegler wrote:
    Very nice shot. I didn't know that the canal was that wide anywhere (although I know the feeder along the Delaware much better than the main canal). You got some great fall colors there, not always so easy here in NJ.
    Yes, in Princeton there is a huge opening up of the canal...a wonderful area that gets a lot of people on the water fishing, canoeing, etc. I ride all along the canal in the smaller sections and there are so many wonderful areas to take photos. I have such a wide variety of photographs along the D&R Canal. I'm very fortunate to live so close to so many parts of the canal.
    Jen Rinaldi

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    no question in my mind why you like it....very very nice, outstanding!
    good job!
    thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Beautiful! I bet it will look great on canvas! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    It´s most def a keeper..But i would have it a bit sharper?..Maby highpass filter in photoshop can help you out here.

But i think this monitor sux big time..So that´s probably the issue here.
    edited February 25, 2008
    Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. Much appreciated! :D
    Jen Rinaldi

• LA LandscapesLA Landscapes Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Beautiful shot. I wouldn't crop it at all (unless you have to for print).
  • VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Great photo!
    clap.gif