Maternity photos

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited March 15, 2008 in People
I haven't shot maternity in over a year, so I was very nervous about the opportunity! I turned a bedroom into a "studio" for the black background shots, using a 580EX and brolly box camera left with reflector camera right for fill. I had a 100W clamp light lighting the bg, but clearly it wasn't enough to separate subject.

255518527_8y9Zb-L-3.jpg

255506075_M8mau-L-2.jpg

4. Dad was so into the whole session, and helping her feel beautiful and comfortable. His only humble request was to do some with the jersey....he's a notorious Yanks fan.
255506659_2U9jh-L-2.jpg

5. in my hallway, window light
255511300_5V3QB-L-2.jpg

255514566_EiZqX-L-2.jpg

Thanks for looking....honest C&C always welcome.
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Wow!!!! These are super! I know some will come along and mention better lighting for separation and yeah, there is nothing wrong with that but then the shots become more "studio". I just love how they sort of emerge from the darkness and I find the shadows very sensual in what is a very sensual and private moment in time. This is particularly noticeable in #1 where his back is not lit, and #3 where the bottom of his face melts into the darkness. I just think this type of exposure works really well for the subject.

Some other comments: gotta love that tatt on the tummy!!!! It will probably never look as pretty as it does here!!! :D Love the jersey shot....I'm sure Dad will be pleased. The high key lighting works beautifully, too. #5 is my fav in this lighting. Her laugh and wrinkled nose is cute. Your did well exposing these (white shirts even!). Those bellies glow in the light like a big moon! And then they always have their white hands right where the light is the brightest.....difficult to not blow them out. You did great! And why would you, of all people, be nervous about a pregnancy shoot? Silly girl. clap.gif
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    A great series. They look so happy and friendly. So many maternity series look SOOooooo serious and faux romantic. These kids look real. I'll bet they're ecstatic (with the photos as well as the baby).
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    #5 and #6 RULE! clap.gifclap.gif

Fantastic lighting and some very-real expressions and poses. Did it take Mom a while to be really relaxed?
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Love 4,5 and 6. They look so comfortable and it shows in the photos. Not normally into maternity pics (not sure why) but these are just great!

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Agree, LOVE 5 & 6, beautifu light, but the other ones are nice too! thumb.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Wow!!!! These are super! I know some will come along and mention better lighting for separation and yeah, there is nothing wrong with that but then the shots become more "studio". I just love how they sort of emerge from the darkness and I find the shadows very sensual in what is a very sensual and private moment in time. This is particularly noticeable in #1 where his back is not lit, and #3 where the bottom of his face melts into the darkness. I just think this type of exposure works really well for the subject.

Some other comments: gotta love that tatt on the tummy!!!! It will probably never look as pretty as it does here!!! :D Love the jersey shot....I'm sure Dad will be pleased. The high key lighting works beautifully, too. #5 is my fav in this lighting. Her laugh and wrinkled nose is cute. Your did well exposing these (white shirts even!). Those bellies glow in the light like a big moon! And then they always have their white hands right where the light is the brightest.....difficult to not blow them out. You did great! And why would you, of all people, be nervous about a pregnancy shoot? Silly girl. clap.gif

Thank you Susan! Yes, I have a LOT to learn when it comes to studio lighting, but for winging it I am surprised they came out this well. I wanted those deep sensual shadows so I was hesitant to use a 2nd flash, but wish I would have in at least a few for posterity.

And yeah, I didn't know she had that tattoo but I was so excited to incorporate it when I saw it!

Their hands in 5 are pretty hot, not entirely blown, but I do wish the light was more even. thanks for commenting!!! )And, thanks for your inspiration, I studied your recent session gallery with your niece quite a bit before this shoot, just to get in the groove....so thank YOU!)
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited February 23, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    A great series. They look so happy and friendly. So many maternity series look SOOooooo serious and faux romantic. These kids look real. I'll bet they're ecstatic (with the photos as well as the baby).

Thank you Icebear, I am very pleased you feel they are so "natural"! And yes, these two "kids" (the dad is 27 and my first cousin; I believe she is 25) have very warm personalities! They are a FUN, charismatic couple.
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited February 23, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:
    #5 and #6 RULE! clap.gifclap.gif

Fantastic lighting and some very-real expressions and poses. Did it take Mom a while to be really relaxed?

Wow, thanks for your encouragment! It did take mom some time, but once we got the "bare" photos over, she felt much more relaxed, and they had a really great time during the session.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    #5 is still my favorite. She looks so happy and he appears to be lost in her. Very nice!!!
    edited February 23, 2008
    SitterS wrote:
    Love 4,5 and 6. They look so comfortable and it shows in the photos. Not normally into maternity pics (not sure why) but these are just great!

Shane

thank you Shane!!! I normally don't like doing "studio" photos either, because I don't want them to look forced or fake. So I am very flattered by your comments! Thank you!
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited February 23, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Agree, LOVE 5 & 6, beautifu light, but the other ones are nice too! thumb.gif

Thank you Agnieszka! I'll be putting that hallway to good use from now on! :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited February 23, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    #5 is still my favorite. She looks so happy and he appears to be lost in her. Very nice!!!

Thank you Jeff! You called it...it was the client's favorite, too. They ordered a 16x20 to display at the baby shower tomorrow, and it printed beautifully. (WHCC)
    Canon 5D MkI
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    I like 4, 5 and 6. I like how you left the shade up a tad to get more light on the belly in 6, whether intentional or not.
    Let's go Yankees!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Why as photographers
    do we doubt ourselves so much?

These are beautiful, Lynne - you should be very pleased with them. And I agree that #5 is my favorite too, but, really, there isn't one that I wouldn't be happy to show in my portfolio...
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Yay, Lynne! cheerleader.gif

Gorgeous set! Maternity shots make me uncomfortable sometimes (just viewing them...I've never shot them), but these don't! I love how involved the dad is!

The tones and the position on the first one are beautiful, showing off that unique tattoo.
    I LOVE the baseball one! Awesome!
    And #5 has such nice light and perfect expressions...really special.
    I also like the light in #6.

No doubt these are treasures for them. Congratulations to you all!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Thank you Jeff! You called it...it was the client's favorite, too. They ordered a 16x20 to display at the baby shower tomorrow, and it printed beautifully. (WHCC)

Awesome!!!

It is a beautiful moment capture perfectly! thumb.gif
  • photoshowphotoshow Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Really beautiful work. The real joy in this kind of photography comes not from pure technical perfection of lighting and exposure but from the technical perfection of emotion capture and that is something you succeeded with 100% here. These images convey the happiness and wonder that this couple is feeling. Any image that carries it's emotion to the viewer is a winner and these all do that nicely.
    Bobby Deal - Commercial Photography * Vegas Vision Studios The Pro's choice for studio rental in Las Vegas
    Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops For the Discerning Taste
    "The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"
    edited February 23, 2008
    photoshow wrote:
    Any image that carries it's emotion to the viewer is a winner and these all do that nicely.

The best compliment I could hope for...thank you much iloveyou.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Hey Lynne,

It looks like you've hit another one out of the park. Like Jeff, I think #5 is my favorite of the group, mostly because you captured him so lost in her - the emotion is so powerful and well captured!thumb.gif

You really need to stop doubting yourself. Maybe you're keeping the discards to yourself (as you should), but what you post is always fantastic.
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    WOW! REALLY REALLY GREAT JOB!!!! They both look so natural and comfortable!!! AWESOME! Looks like you did a great job in making them feel this way!!! Not an easy thing to do!
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    I agree these are great. I have always like the idea behind these shots but rarely see any I actually really like. Good job!
    Jaye
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    BEAUTIFUL! I just searched the forum for maternity pics and yours are spectacular! I haven't don't this before and now need to for someone. I hope I can do half as good as you did!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Just gorgeous! I love the jersey one. And while I'm not usually a tattoo person, I love hers!!! They look so pretty on her belly!
    edited March 12, 2008
    Thanks everyone for taking a second peek!!! iloveyou.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Thanks everyone for taking a second peek!!! iloveyou.gif

They're all fantastic, #4 is very cute use of props and personalization.

thumb.gif
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876