Options

Bad Wedding Lighting

DmanningDmanning Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited February 26, 2008 in Finishing School
I was recently a second photographer at a wedding and had the "joy" of being in quite the hideously lighted church, IMHO. As you can see we have a massive string of lights at the bride and groom, and in the foreground we have open windows letting in a decent amount of light.

What techinque should be used to compensate for multiple color temps in a single frame post and or pre processing?

I've been using photoshop for 10+ years but I've never come across this situation. Any tricks and tips are greatly appreciated.

img_9198.jpg

-D Manning

Comments

• Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Multiple light temp sources create a nearly impossible correction task. I would select the focal point and its dominating color temp as the basis for the image. In the case of the photo that you provided, I would concentrate on the bride/groom as my point for color balance. It will throw the pews out of balance. Depending on how bad, you can try burning in those areas which should minimize the noticeable color shift while also bringing the viewers focus to the real subject. Good luck!
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    I'm no PScs Guru, but could not something be one with layers. Using ACR or LR, do two copies. One with WB for the Foreground and one with WB for where the B&G are. The do a sort of HDR composite with Layers and Masking.

One might just get away with something like that.

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 23, 2008
    B&W anyone?

I think you have to go with the WB for the bride and groom.

I was only half kidding about B&W thoughthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    B&W anyone?

I think you have to go with the WB for the bride and groom.

I was only half kidding about B&W thoughthumb.gif
    You don't think a bi-WB layered and masked option would work?

headscratch.gif

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 23, 2008
    Yes I think it could be done, but it will probably need to be done in a frame by frame workflow. Varying color balance, and varying mask for each frame.

For a wedding shooter with hundreds of frames, that is going to be a very large task, isn't it? I can see that would work for a few frames, but for a large number of images, it will be a very large editing task.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Yes I think it could be done, but it will probably need to be done in a frame by frame workflow. Varying color balance, and varying mask for each frame.

For a wedding shooter with hundreds of frames, that is going to be a very large task, isn't it? I can see that would work for a few frames, but for a large number of images, it will be a very large editing task.

For sure, but might be worth it for the one or two top shots where everything else clicks and you realy want the best out of the image(s).

Also an answer that could be applied to someone elses single otherwise 'ruined' image.

:D

Don
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    First, I'd crop out the ceiling. That large white expanse of ceiling tile does nothing to add to the magic of the event.

Could you do something with the hue/saturation tool, maybe dropping the blue color's saturation a bit, so at least it's not so severe?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    First of all, my sincere consollations. ne_nau.gif
    Second, I kinda think this is a very easy case. daylight is one place, light string far away..
    Simply few adjustment layers with a masks will do...
    HTH

PS It's just a quick concept, one easily can go ballistic on this...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    In Camera!
    I know it's too late now - the event is past.
    This is what the 70-200 2.8 is would have made the difference!
    When you are in this situation, you need to shoot with the right equipment so that you don't have to do as much post processing.

Nikolai wrote:
    First of all, my sincere consollations. ne_nau.gif
    Second, I kinda think this is a very easy case. daylight is one place, light string far away..
    Simply few adjustment layers with a masks will do...
    HTH

PS It's just a quick concept, one easily can go ballistic on this...mwink.gif
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    DmanningDmanning Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Thanks for all the tips. I typically over analyze/complicate every situation. I have tried a few combinations but I haven't got the image looking the way I want. I plan on posting it when I get done.

Chatkat - I agree about the 70-200 2.8. But I just wasn't feeling it. My thought is that when I get my second camera body I will keep the 24-70 on one and the 70-200 on the other. I noticed that the main photographer was using a 50 1.4f and a 10-22 efs. I've seen his work before and felt it was better than most but I thought this was an intersting combination.

mmroden - I thought the ceiling was beautiful, does it not strike you the same? Ok, of course that's sarcasm. Yes the ceiling must go.
    -DManning
  • Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Your

img_9198.jpg

Mine, cropped dead space, color selected the wall and adjusted, isolated the seated guests and adjusted.

test.jpg

That looks better to me but my monitor may be wacked.
  • Options
    RalphAdamRalphAdam Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    A suggestion
    Dan Margulis's great book, The Canyon Conundrum--The LAB Color Space will show you how to color correct mixed-lighting images. Also, he has a video demonstration on the Kelby Training site of the NAPP site. Check it out ... the images CAN be saved!

Dmanning wrote:
    I was recently a second photographer at a wedding and had the "joy" of being in quite the hideously lighted church, IMHO. As you can see we have a massive string of lights at the bride and groom, and in the foreground we have open windows letting in a decent amount of light.

What techinque should be used to compensate for multiple color temps in a single frame post and or pre processing?

I've been using photoshop for 10+ years but I've never come across this situation. Any tricks and tips are greatly appreciated.

img_9198.jpg

-D Manning