Old Family Photo Retouch

dannymirandadannymiranda Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited February 24, 2008 in People
Hello All,

I was at my Grandparents house over Presidents Day weekend. Before dinner my Grandmother was showing a fantastic old picture of her, my Grandfather, my Dad, and my Aunt. Unfortunately the picture had been slightly damaged and was the only copy she had. I convinced her (god help me if something happens to it) to let me borrow it. During the week I digitized the photo using a pretty nice scanner at school and did some photo retouching to it to remove creases and tears as well as give it a little more contrast. Thought I would share the outcome and see what comments and criticisms are out there for the next go round.

On a side note, this entire process really brings home how great photography is. I think the digital age of storing and sharing pictures is a pretty wonderful thing.

Thanks for looking!

Danny

Original Scanned Image
257555376_f8LSq-L.jpg

Retouch
257855233_wbWJ6-L.jpg

Retouch - Split Toned
257855424_xHREH-L.jpg

Retouch - High Contrast
257856828_Npwnh-L.jpg
 Macbook Pro | 2.2GHz Core2Duo | 2GB | 160GB HDD | 500GB HDD x 2 | Creative GigaWorks T20
 30 GB iPod Video | Sennheiser PX100 Headphones
 Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi | EF 50mm f1.8 II | Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 | Manfrotto 190XPROB & 484RC2
dannymiranda.smugmug.com

Comments

• ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Excellent work. I have done this a few times and its harder than it looks. I like your first revised version best.

Now get Smugmug to make you a great new print of it and bring her both!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif - but my favorite is the split tone. I also think you need to get some prints made and gift them to your grandmother. I think she would be so thrilled!
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Incredible retouch! It is definitely harder than it looks but what a satisfying result.
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    You did a great job with the retouch, I have tried this, it is hard, but I also have a fondness for the original.... I love old photographs, and feel that the "flaws" add to the picture, I like using photoshop to add that old look to new photos!!! Laughing.gif....
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    I like them!
    Jaye