First post -- Cannon Beach dusk shot

doctorsoupdoctorsoup Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited February 27, 2008 in Landscapes
Hi all,

Dipping my toe into the water here with an image taken last October on the Oregon coast....constructive C&C appreciated....:D Pat
http://pcphotos.smugmug.com/

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Hi Pat and welcome!

The image is a little too saturated for my eyes. It wasn't really that blue, was it? Still it's a lovely subject and a beautiful place to shoot, what with all the rock formations and the mist. Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
  • philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    doctorsoup wrote:
    Hi all,

Dipping my toe into the water here with an image taken last October on the Oregon coast....constructive C&C appreciated....:D Pat
    http://pcphotos.smugmug.com/

Unlike Schmoo I don't have a problem with the color if thats what you wanted. What I do see is it seems to be three different shots (the water and rocks, the city and the shore line, and finally the mountain range). Not sure exactly what it is but even thought there is a definite subject the three rocks in the foreground but something seems to be missing. Maybe what's bothering me is there is too much in the shot hmm. Try posting the image on Marc's thread to get some feedback from the master.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • doctorsoupdoctorsoup Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    re: feedback
    To Schmoo and philiphutson, thanks for the comments! This is a file I'd like to play with some more. I was trying to bring out the light on the foreground rocks and take away some of the green tint there. I like the blue-magenta-red color combination but I agree it may be over color saturated. Personally I still like the composition, Philip, but I see your point.

For comparison purposes I am attaching a full frame "straight" version, 5500 WB, 0 tint, 0 vibrance, 0 sat, flat curves, brightness 25, contrast 50. The original was shot in Adobe RGB and I converted the profile to sRGB. I cloned out some junk on the sensor but did not straighten the tilted horizon.

First chance I get I'm going to shoot this scene again with the new D3. It is perfect for low light situations like this. Attachment not found.

No matter how much I think I know I realize that there is always a lot more to learn in this game. Thanks again you two.