5D on Soccer...

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited February 26, 2008 in Sports
Although I did not buy the 5D for sports photography, I just had to give it a test run.

Since I shoot sports for a living, and most everyone said that the 5D is not a good sports camera, well, you knew I was gonna see!

NOTE: I could care less if a body shoots 10fps or 3fps. I rarely use burst mode. (Albeit, if one wanted to shoot burst, 3fps is a joke for sports)

First:
I give the 5D good marks for high ISO noise levels.

Second:
I'm VERY impressed with how I can shoot all the way down field at high ISO, then do a MAJOR crop, and still wind up with a very good photograph.

Third:
The colors and saturation are nice.

Here's a few shots. All shot with Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS with 1.4TC

ISO-1600 --- f/4 --- 1/1000
257960514_9yoFG-L.jpg

ISO-1600 --- f/4 --- 1/400
257954574_tUn7U-L.jpg

ISO-1600 --- f/4 --- 1/500
257954506_TLeUL-L.jpg

ISO-1600 --- f/4 --- 1/800
257953932_Rqfw6-L.jpg

ISO-1600 --- f/4 --- 1/1000
257954081_vnswD-L.jpg

ISO-800 --- f/4 --- 1/1600
257960532_PjYwc-L.jpg

ISO-1600 --- f/4 --- 1/200 (X-sync) w/580EX
257954799_VSZX4-L.jpg

Anyway, just thought I would share.
Randy

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    Hey, I though you were not supposed to crank up the ISO when shooting sports outside. j/k

Nice shots!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    Hey, I though you were not supposed to crank up the ISO when shooting sports outside. j/k

Nice shots!

1. I was testing

2. Notice from the EXIF data. There wasn't that much light on several. Even at 1/400 ~ 1/500 you get motion blur on the extremities. Whatcha' gonna do bout that? --- Crank up the ISO!

3. The 5D has excellent high ISO images.

Thanks for looking Jon.
    Randy
    edited February 23, 2008
    The high ISO was a joke. I shoot high ISO all the time if the lighting is bad. :D
    edited February 23, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    The high ISO was a joke. I shoot high ISO all the time if the lighting is bad. :D

Your a good sports photog. I know that...

But I posted the reply for some that might not know that much about sports shootingthumb.gif
    Randy
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Gotta get me one o' them. So long APS-C. Hello FF!!

thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    rwells wrote:
    Since I shoot sports for a living, and most everyone said that the 5D is not a good sports camera, well, you knew I was gonna see!

NOTE: I could care less if a body shoots 10fps or 3fps. I rarely use burst mode. (Albeit, if one wanted to shoot burst, 3fps is a joke for sports)

For me I wasnt interested in the 5D because with sports I use the crop factor to my advantage. Plus the 40D, I have been having awesome results in low light situations. I dont even run it with the burst mode on high (it is so senstive and overkill!) , I leave it on low burst mode and althought I usually just shoot single frames, its nice to know I can run a bunch of if the play deems it necessary.
    Just my opinion.
  • tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Cool
    One of the coolest ideas of the 5D

is that it would be a great range for indoor sports.

Right now I use 1.6 crop camera with 70-200mm f/2.8l IS

Great lens but it isn't very helpful for when the bball or vball player is close to you. Because it is essentially 116 mm away which is annoying. and causes much lost shots.

If all the lights are on I have been switching to a friends 24-105 f/4
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
    edited February 25, 2008
    winger wrote:
    For me I wasn't interested in the 5D because with sports I use the crop factor to my advantage. Plus the 40D, I have been having awesome results in low light situations. I don't even run it with the burst mode on high (it is so senstive and overkill!) , I leave it on low burst mode and althought I usually just shoot single frames, its nice to know I can run a bunch of if the play deems it necessary.
    Just my opinion.

Not sure what your point is here ne_nau.gif

You conveniently left this out of the quote:
    Although I did not buy the 5D for sports photography, I just had to give it a test run.

Also, I already use a crop body for sports.

I didn't post this to begin a "5D is a great sports camera debate". I posted it because there are others like myself who like to see what a camera will and won't do. Good or bad. As stated, I purchased the 5D for other uses primarily, but wanted to know how it would do for sports. Since I do this for a living, I have to have a backup body.

Wouldn't you agree that it's a good idea to know what the camera will and won't do?

If you like the 40D, good on ya' thumb.gif I like it too!
    Randy
    edited February 25, 2008
    tjstrider wrote:
    One of the coolest ideas of the 5D

is that it would be a great range for indoor sports.

Right now I use 1.6 crop camera with 70-200mm f/2.8l IS

Great lens but it isn't very helpful for when the bball or vball player is close to you. Because it is essentially 116 mm away which is annoying. and causes much lost shots.

If all the lights are on I have been switching to a friends 24-105 f/4

Yep,

I do most of my sports with the 70-200 f/2.8L IS. For basketball I went with a 50mm for under the basket, which comes out to 80mm on my crop body. With the 5D, I can be under the basket and shoot at 70mm with my favorite lens. Or, shoot with a true 50mm if I want more light or more scene in the picture.

If I use the 1.4TC (as I did in the above pictures), that brings me up to almost where I'd normally be with the lens (without 1.4TC) on my crop body. The ability to perform MAJOR crops on the FF and still have good pictures could have significant benefit.

Anyway, I'm just testing it out, seeing what it will do well, and what it won't. I like to have options available to me thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited February 26, 2008
    Wouldn't you agree that it's a good idea to know what the camera will and won't do?

thumb.gif

Your best golfers will use every club in the bag just about in practicing bunker shots and chip shots. If you can get a ball out of the trap with a 2 iron, you can get it out with a wedge. You will never see a pro golfer actually use a sand wedge in a tournament, but the skills used in practicing with different clubs translates into better touch with the specialized club.

Rapid bursts will mean the chances of getting a better shot increase. However, give a photographer a one burst camera and great timing, they will have a higher percentage of keepers. I think it's good to cripple yourself and shoot with a slow lens in bad light. You pick the hotspots on the field/gym and you are ready for the action that takes place in that small area.
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    rwells wrote:
    Not sure what your point is here ne_nau.gif

You conveniently left this out of the quote:

Also, I already use a crop body for sports.

I didn't post this to begin a "5D is a great sports camera debate". I posted it because there are others like myself who like to see what a camera will and won't do. Good or bad. As stated, I purchased the 5D for other uses primarily, but wanted to know how it would do for sports. Since I do this for a living, I have to have a backup body.

If you like the 40D, good on ya' thumb.gif I like it too!

I didnt conveniently leave the qoute out, because like you I wasnt trying to get into a debate. I just shorted up the whole thing as to not take the whole thread, but I left the whole thing intact this time. I was just contributing to the conversation and making sure that if people did want a sports camera, they knew some of the advantages of the 40D. If you already have a 5D and shoot sports, then yes that is fine and its good to know what a camera can and cannot do if you. But some people are on a fixed budget and if you are picking out a camera for sports, then maybe a 5d is not the best choice.

All I was trying to do was contribute to the conversation.