Some of my neices...

THengTHeng Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited February 24, 2008 in People
Just messing around with my new canon 20d, let me know what you think.
IMG_6185.jpg
IMG_6183.jpg
IMG_5741.jpg
IMG_5708.jpg
Can I shoot you with my Canon?
hengphotography

Comments

• JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    aha, a canon eh...:cry
    Welcome to Dgrin! you'll find many photog's much more advanced than I who are happy to help you get better

I like your first shot - great mischevious expression and it is sharp. The others are not quite so sharp but you have made me smile...:D

just my 2c.
    Jethro :D
    My Blog
    Jethro Kingston Photography
    Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE
  • PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Some cute kids and nice to see them happy to pose for pictures.thumb.gif Focus seems to be your problem.headscratch.gif #1 seems ok. #2 looks focused on the chair(or whatever she is leaning on). I'm not sure where #3 is focused and #4 is focused on the railing. Check out the stickys in the forums for links to lots of stuff to learn and happy shooting.nod.gif
  • THengTHeng Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Paulcao wrote:
    Some cute kids and nice to see them happy to pose for pictures.thumb.gif Focus seems to be your problem.headscratch.gif #1 seems ok. #2 looks focused on the chair(or whatever she is leaning on). I'm not sure where #3 is focused and #4 is focused on the railing. Check out the stickys in the forums for links to lots of stuff to learn and happy shooting.nod.gif

Thanks! I have a 50mm lens, I want to do photos of the kids, and other activities (family get togethers, portraits,etc), but I don't have a real range of distance. Do you guys have reccomendations for lens I should eventually get?
    hengphotography
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    THeng wrote:
    Thanks! I have a 50mm lens, I want to do photos of the kids, and other activities (family get togethers, portraits,etc), but I don't have a real range of distance. Do you guys have reccomendations for lens I should eventually get?
    I'm assuming that you're talking about a 50mm f/1.8 - the "thrifty 50" - and I LOVE that lens for portraits! it's awesome in low light, crisp and clear when it focuses correctly, light and was my favorite before I upgraded to the next one. Definitely get to know it!

One thing to do is make sure you have your aperture set to 2.8 - this will give you a shallow depth of field, which I think really accentuates features in focuse (like eyes), as well as a little bit of latitude for focus. I suspect your DOF was shallower (2.0? 1.8?) which means you have GOT to be really accurate focusing - which is hard with a wiggly kiddo!

Also, that lens isn't the greatest at focusing so I always shot several shots in a row always focusing on the eyes or whatever I wanted to have in focus - and I usually got about 1/3-1/2 of them in focus. But when they were, whoa! It was tack sharp! Don't be discouraged at all by the focus - just work with it and get to know that lens!

Another thing you can do is dial your flash WAAAY back (look at your manual) and then do a tiny bit of fill flash. That will give a sparkle to the eye, capture motion a little better and fill in those dark eyes a little bit. Just make sure you're dialing it way back, exposing properly for the light and you should be fine! (If you aren't exposing properly, you'll get a very "flashy" photo.)

Finally, when you are converting to B&W, always do it for the main subject - in this case the faces. Make sure those are exposed properly (if not in camera, at least in the post processing) and you'll get a LOT more punch. I've edited the first one (just a gorgeous shot!) and cropped it to the 1/3 point and all I did was brighten it and then bump the contrast *slightly*. Please let me know if you want me to take it down! It's not perfect (it might be a little bright as I can see that skin texture is a little lost, but it's hard at smaller resolutions), but hopefully it give you an idea.

Wonderful photos! Keep it up and keep trying new things - you definitely are on your way!!
  • THengTHeng Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Wow thank you so much for all the information! I just used Picasa (haven't had a chance to use photoshop yet) for the B&W. It's funny that your website is "tippiepics" b/c my neices call me 'Tippy' :) Thanks again!
    hengphotography
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    THeng wrote:
    Wow thank you so much for all the information! I just used Picasa (haven't had a chance to use photoshop yet) for the B&W. It's funny that your website is "tippiepics" b/c my neices call me 'Tippy' :) Thanks again!

How funny! Laughing.gif! That's my last name.....

As for editing, I use Photoshop Lightroom. i'll use PS CS, but not as often andnot for something like this. If you find the extra money, it's worth every penny in my opinion!:D
  • PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    THeng wrote:

You should check out this link if yoiu want to find out more about your camera. It will also help you a lot of people are saying things on the forums that you don't understand. It's like a dicitonary for all things Canon cameras. It talks about aperature, dof, flashes, and all sorts of other stuff.thumb.gif

edit: forgot to talk about lens. 50mm is a classic favorite. New users often have dof problems as photogmomma noted. I'd say stick with that until you are comfortable using it. Fredmiranda has a good list of lenses. There are a lot of ways to go for your second lens, it all really depends on what you are going to shoot.