What to set up to from Rebel XTi?

largelylivinlargelylivin Registered Users Posts: 561 Major grins
edited February 25, 2008 in Cameras
A friend only has a moderate interest in photography but feels its time to step up to a DSLR and I think his interest level might grow once he's back into the SLR world. Even though I am a Pentax person, I recommended a Canon, specifically an XTi because it fits his budget, 10Mpix, deep availability of lenses, large used market. I told him that in a few years he will probably want a newer body as technology improves, so he probably doesn't want to spend more.

He doesn't like the feel: its too small in his hands.

Can someone recommend an alternative NEW camera/kit?

What USED Canon model might fit the bill?
Brad Newby

http://blue-dog.smugmug.com
http://smile-123.smugmug.com
http://vintage-photos.blogspot.com/

Canon 7D, 100-400L, Mongoose 3.5, hoping for a 500L real soon.

Comments

• OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    XTi with battery grip.. I have the grip for my 350D(XT) and it changes the feel of the camera significantly.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 24, 2008
    Hyperbaric wrote:
    XTi with battery grip.. I have the grip for my 350D(XT) and it changes the feel of the camera significantly.

15524779-Ti.gif Especially with a hand strap.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Since he is starting from scratch, why not have try out some Nikons? I am a Nikon user, but when someone starts from scratch, I always tell them to start with Canon or Nikon for the very same reason you do. Used Nikons are getting cheap with the intro of the D300.
  • SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    All the entry level DSLR are very small. Don't know when or why this happened but they all seem to be falling suit. And yeah adding a vertical grip to any of them addes a massive amount of stablity in your ability to grip and feel like you're holding on to a camera. It's like getting a well balanced cordless drill, it just feels better. Even in the larger mid range bodies they are worth the investment just to balance out the extra nose weight of longer and faster glass.

I just read the new Nikon 14-24mm f2.8G lens weights in at 2.19lbs!!!! Now try to balance that out on a D40x or D60 that only weights in at 1lb 1oz each. And we haven't even touched the 80-200 f2.8s or the Bigma. A vertical grip added on will relieve much hand fatigue and give the shooter a larger unit to grip.
  • TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    I have a rebel XT and the battery grip makes all the difference. Nice to have the extra battery life, makes a very comfortable feel to the camera, and makes all the difference in the world when you decide to start shooting vertical shots. I'd personally recommend the XT with the BG-E3 grip as it will be about the same price for the two pieces as the XTi. There are not a ton of features that the XTi has over the XT. The megapixels really don't matter in the long run, and the XTi has a bigger LCD screen, which you hardly use compared to a point and shoot. There are other features, but those are the biggies.
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
    Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
    Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex
  • ChuckMChuckM Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif Especially with a hand strap.
    I just picked up the battery grip for my XT. It is amazing. I have large hands and this really changes the feel of the camera.

I must be doing something wrong with the hand strap though. It doesn't work for me. I can't get to the "wheel" on top with my index finger. It is very uncomforable for me.
  • APKAPK Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    A friend only has a moderate interest in photography but feels its time to step up to a DSLR and I think his interest level might grow once he's back into the SLR world. Even though I am a Pentax person, I recommended a Canon, specifically an XTi because it fits his budget, 10Mpix, deep availability of lenses, large used market. I told him that in a few years he will probably want a newer body as technology improves, so he probably doesn't want to spend more.

Can someone recommend an alternative NEW camera/kit?

What USED Canon model might fit the bill?

Close out 30d (still around)
    Used 30d
    AlanPK
    Bodies: 5D, D60, G9,
    Lenses: 16-35L f2.8, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 85LII f1.2, 100 f2.0, 135L f2.0, 300L f4.0, 50CM f2.5 + LSC, 24 f3.5L TS-E
    Misc: 1.4TC, 580EX, MR-14EX
  • Katie BethKatie Beth Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    I had an xti (great entry level camera) and I purchased a Targus battery grip for it and it does make all the difference. It really makes it a lot easier to handle and makes for better balance when using larger lenses.

I now have a 40D and it feels great in my hands (I'm a female and wear size 7 1/2 gloves). I don't know if I'd lay out that kind of money in the beginning though. The used 30D someone mentioned might be an option but I really like the dust shaker the xti and 40D has. I love the 3" LCD screen on the 40D and since I shoot sports the 6.5 frames per second capability is nice!

The only thing I miss from my xti is the battery grip, that vertical shutter release was great!

Another alternative may be the Olympus D-SLR's such as the evolt 330 or 410. A friend of mine had the e-330 and loved it. They have kits with two lenses included. Olympus doesn't have nearly as many lenses to choose from though.
    Katie
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    I too go with an XTi with a grip or better yet, a 30D.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Another vote for the XTi battery grip. I was never really upset over the size of the camera, but after getting it over a year after buying the XTi, I wish I had put it on earlier.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Won't something with more features for the same price do better. Unless he has a passion for high ISO photography, Oly 510 and Pentax K100D Super (Or K10D) are better options.
    You get in body IS, and lens lineup is enough for a beginner.
    I am a 350D shooter and would probably stay in canon land(I am a high ISO kinda guy)
    But for a beginner, the non Canikon club has better deals.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 25, 2008
    I had the same problem. Nice for traveling, but crap for any kind of extended shooting, even with a grip. All the grip does is make that tiny little bump "longer" not bigger. Yuck.

30D, heck, even a nice example of a 20D are both VERY capable cameras. Unless your goal is BIG prints, I'd still take either of those over the newer XTi. Better focusing, IMO, and metering.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]