Macro tripod

gracenrichgracenrich Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited February 25, 2008 in Holy Macro
Would like suggestions fo a tripod for macro only.
Would like to spend about $100.00 or more if necessary.
Thank You:dunno

Comments

• matasamatasa Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    sorry, what is the difference between tripod for macro and ordinary tripod?ne_nau.gif
    I can resist everything except temptation
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Take a look at the Giottos line ......they will do much more than just macro but work great for macro work...............

here is an ebay link that shows the great versatility of the Giottos Tripods and the price is good also.....withot moving into carbon fibre or lava for lighter weight these can't hardly be beat.........

I have an older version of this pod and really like it.....I use it for landscape. nature, wildlife, (semi) macro, portraits etc etc...................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited February 24, 2008
    matasa wrote:
    sorry, what is the difference between tripod for macro and ordinary tripod?ne_nau.gif

Most tripods center column canot be removed and replaced into a horizontal position making macro work easier............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    gracenrich wrote:
    Well, for $100 or more you can get just about anything. One important thing to consider - don't skimp. A weak tripod is just not worth the cost.

What Art suggested is great. I have a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod, and its great.

You may be thinking of smaller, though. You can look at the Really Right Stuff tripod. Their stuff is fantastic. A lot of people here (including me) swear by RRS ballheads, rails, and plates.

Also, a tripod can be hard to manipulate for macro work. A lot of times it's hard to get the camera in the right position while mounted to the tripod. Therefore, people start getting camera rails to get fine position adjustments. In the end it will either work for you or you will (as a lot of people do) keep hand-holding the camera while doing macro work.
  • matasamatasa Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Most tripods center column canot be removed and replaced into a horizontal position making macro work easier............

Thanks a lot, I may get one too :)
    I can resist everything except temptation
    edited February 24, 2008
    I use a Manfrotto/Bpgen 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Ball Head.....once I learned how to getproperly adjusted for me to use I love it mated to My Giottos tripod it works great for close ups (semi macro).......

Here is a pic of pod and head with a film cam attached:

52092086_34E2Q-L.jpg

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Nice rig, Art.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    gracenrich wrote:
    Would like suggestions fo a tripod for macro only.
    Thank Youne_nau.gif

Hmmmm most times I hand hold for Macro, however if your doing Macro and using a Tripod I am guessing your subject is not moving at all ??

Don't get anything that is too light that wont properly support the gear your putting on top of it.

I have 3 tripods, one is way too light for my big lenses,
    one is amazingly heavy but supports my largest lens and camera without any trouble, and the 3rd one is like inbetween.

It also holds my heavy lenses, but is not as sturdy in the wind,
    but this one is lighter to travel with, also the support centre post can be removed from being in the Vertical position and moved to a Horizontal position without a lot of fuss.

... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Well, I was waiting for Brian V to step in here, but since he hasn't, I'll offer my tuppence. It really all depends on that kind of macro work you want to do. If all you want to spend is $100, and you want to do flowers and bugs, you might want to think about a moderately priced monopod. As often as not, you won't even have the camera actually mounted to the shaft, but will just grip the shaft between your left hand and the camera body. The advantage of the monopod is that you can easily adjust the overall length.

I wouldn't waste my money on a $100 tripod and head. You'll soon become disenchanted with it and buy a more substantial one anyway. But for $100, a serviceable monopod can be had.

If you're doing "tabletop" macro, the monopod prolly won't help you much.

Till you decide, just grab a 3/4" dowell, or a broomstick.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.