My first attempt at self portrait

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited February 26, 2008 in People
I recently bought a studio lighting kit and figured ..hey why not...well here ya go...C&C welcome.

258322488_W79eC-XL.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Really nice portrait, you have amazing eyes and appear very comfortable in front of the camera! A few things that I see that may help (since you asked). The background and subject separation are wonderful.

- The rimlight looks fantastic, adds a nice dimensional effect. But it may be too hot in relation to the key light; it appears your face is underexposed, but your shoulders/ear are brighter, and competes for the viewers attention.

-I really like the catchlights in your eyes. I think if your face/eyes were brighter, we'd see these more, and maybe with a contrast boost they'd be the focal point you want them to be. Awesome color.

-Might consider clothing choice re: all the skin we're seeing in your shoulders/arms...if covered they would really make your face pop.

-A portrait/vertical crop would be something to try, especially with your eyes toward the top of the frame.

-looking again, I would try losing the fist under your chin. Maybe just leaning toward the camera like you are, that direct fixating gaze, could be more masculine. But I'm just thinking out loud here....

All in all I think this is very nice, and has a lot of potential. As said before you are very photogenic and can't wait to see your next attempt!!! Good for you for putting yourself out there...self portraits are tricky! clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Thank you for the feedback..and compliments. This was actually a very spontanious event and I figured that if I stopped to run upstairs to change into more appropriate clothes that I would not come back lol....I'll take another shot at post processing the lighting and a portrait crop as you suggested and see how it turns out.....thanks again for the feedback! Perhaps also over the next few days I'll carve out some time to choose better clothing and try again. :)
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Wow. And that was one of your first attempts with you new light fixture? LOVE it. Nice and smooth light, but shows all the details and doesn't cast any bad shadows!!

Haha .. I just got my lighting kit last Friday, and I have a feeling I won't get anybody in front of the camera coming week (and had no time to even put it all up this whole weekend), so I'll need to experiment on myself .... kind of scared, but dying to finally get it started ... but have the feeling my first atempts won't be anything close to yours!

One quick question though. Is that a "fabric" or a "paper" background? / Looks beautiful! thumb.gif
    edited February 24, 2008
    Yup...had just unpacked my new kit "Pro 4 Light Studio" from Steve Kaeser off of EBay...lol the funny thing was no instructions....took a few minutes to figure it out but am very psyched to use it more. The background I had purchased before and that particular one is black paper 9' wide roll. Funny thing was that the lighting kit also came with a background kit and the entire thing comes with 2 bags with rollers so that it's psuedo portable! lol.

It is difficult finding willing participants lol. Looking forward to seeing your's when you get it all setup!!!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Wow! This is awesome! I think Lynne hit all the points... I'd just add that it looks like your eyes are a bit soft, but it might be post processing? If it is in post, then I'd just erase back to bring more clarity to the eyes... Definitely worth it!

Awesome job! (Coming from someone who has taken more SPs than I care to think of and none of them are this clear and profession!!)
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Lynne gave it to you pretty good so I may be saying the same thing over again....

-clothing.....sleeveless is not the best choice....in most instances. In too many cases it will cause the shoulders to compete with the face.

-I have never been a fan of a fist under a chin. It, more often than not , doesn't look natural or relaxed. I do not think it works here.

- It appears that your face could use a little more light/exposure.

-overall the image has a soft look. You may have done this in PP. I would rather the details remain sharo especially on a guy.

That said, I have never been successfull at SP. Kudos!!!clap.gif
    edited February 25, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback Jeff. Ironically the only reason I used my hand under my chin was for gauging position in the frame...I knew based on a couple of test shots that if I put my chin on my hand that I would be in-frame as it were. I guess I should've just removed it after getting positioned...lol ..... lesson learned....the choice of clothes is definitely a given....the quick shoot was actually just to test out my new lighting equipment with no intention on a "submission" level SP shot but hey...I figured why not put it out there so I could get some great feedback and learn more. Thanks again.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Hey Randy,

Having done a number of SP's in my time, I know how nerve wracking it can be to get yourself in front of your lens instead of behind it. It took a lot for me to feel comfortable to do it and by the looks of your shot up there, it looks like you're ahead of the game. I'd have to go along with what was said here except I might add, and take this with a grain of salt because my monitor at work sucks, It could be a bit more saturated and less soft. But again, could be my narly CRT work monitor, I'll look at it again with my adjusted LCD when I get home.

Things like that and the pose and clothing are simple nit picks. You've got a really good formula going on there and I'd like to see more of it. I think you will loosen up a bit more once you're used to the glass in your face. Well done! clap.gif

Kind Regards,
    Joe
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
    edited February 25, 2008
    Thank you for the kind words Joe. I'm looking forward to doing an actual intentional SP that is planned ... it ought to be fun. I am really happy to be a member here at dgrin where so many talented people take the time to offer opinions that help others grow. It's a great environment and I thank you all.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Thank you for the kind words Joe. I'm looking forward to doing an actual intentional SP that is planned ... it ought to be fun. I am really happy to be a member here at dgrin where so many talented people take the time to offer opinions that help others grow. It's a great environment and I thank you all.

I totally know what you mean. When I was starting out, I was frequenty Flickr forums and Myspace forums and those people are simply elitist wankers. I don't know what it is about those communities but they are NOT conducive to growing as a photographer, artist, or a person for that matter.

I really enjoy Dgrin because you can recieve the needed criticism without getting your feelings hurt because we all know why we're here and that's for the love of the game.

There are some amazingly talented photographers here that are more than willing to share their entire wealth of knowledge and that's what keeps me coming back here. Becuase I know that no matter how much I learn, how much money I make as a pro, I can still grow and learn each and every day. Keeping that in mind is what will make you successful in accomplishing your own goals whether they be going pro or award winning artistry.

Regards,
    Joe
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback Jeff. Ironically the only reason I used my hand under my chin was for gauging position in the frame...I knew based on a couple of test shots that if I put my chin on my hand that I would be in-frame as it were. I guess I should've just removed it after getting positioned...lol ..... lesson learned....the choice of clothes is definitely a given....the quick shoot was actually just to test out my new lighting equipment with no intention on a "submission" level SP shot but hey...I figured why not put it out there so I could get some great feedback and learn more. Thanks again.

Well,

My SP's have not made it past framing and or focus issues. So. The fact that we are talking about clothing and exposure is actually a big accomplishment on your part!!!
    :D
    edited February 26, 2008
    Laughing.gif thanks Jeff. I'm having a blast in the wonderful sandbox called photography! It's so much fun...everytime I go out and shoot, I can't wait to get home and put the pictures up on my 61" plasma to see what I got. It's like christmas morning every time and when you nail it and capture the essence of a moment you feel very fortunate to have been there. Yes I am having fun!!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com